United Gateway℠ Card
Earn 2X Miles Per $1 on Multiple Categories
- Regular Purchase APR 16.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 16.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases, at gas stations, and on local transit and commuting
- Earn 3 miles per $1 spent on grocery store purchases, up to $1,500 per month, through 9/30/2021
- Get 25% back on in-flight purchases, including food, beverages, and Wi-F- on board United-operated flights
- No annual fee and no foreign transaction dates
- No blackout dates when you use miles to book any United-operated flight
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Spoil your pup with a FREE upgrade to BarkBox. - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 10% on all Afternoon Tea orders - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 10% on The Berlin Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Complimentary EZ Mini Crunchies (60g) when you spend S$120 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- 10% off museum entry - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save up to 55% on London theater tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 10% on Tower of London access tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Alamo® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Enterprise Rent-A-Car® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% on The Paris Explorer Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The United Gateway℠ Cardis a robust travel and airline credit card from United Airlines and Chase. The card offers double miles on United purchases and purchases at gas stations and on local transit and commuting. The card also features no foreign transaction fees, no blackout dates on award flights, and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Prefer to fly with United Airlines and are a MileagePlus member
- Commute to work or rely on local transportation options
- Use their credit card for groceries
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
United Gateway℠ Card Review
The United Gateway Card is versatile, no annual fee airline card from Chase and United Airlines. The card, as part of the United MileagePlus frequent flyer program, earns miles with every purchase.
New United Gateway Cardholders earn 20,000 bonus United MileagePlus miles when they make $1,000 in purchases within the first three months of opening their account. This signup offer has an approximate valuation of $300, which is a nice – and easily attainable – bonus.
How to Earn United MileagePlus Miles
Like other credit cards from Chase and United, the Gateway Card offers various ways to earn enhanced miles with every purchase. The United Gateway Visa Signature earns double miles (2X miles per dollar spent) on United purchases, gas station purchases, and local transit and commuting.
The 2X miles on United purchases include the usual costs users associate with this type of card, including tickets, baggage service charges, and other United fees, plus in-flight services (Wi-Fi, inflight food and beverages, etc.). Equally typical is the 2X miles on gas station purchases – something found with many other travel cards.
The addition is 2X miles on commuting, and local transit is perhaps the card’s nicest regular feature. The ability to earn extra points or miles with transit and commuting is somewhat of a newer trend in the credit card space – with the Green Card from American Express among the first to provide such a benefit.
Earning double MileagePlus miles on everyday travel, such as rideshare services, trains, taxis, tolls, and other costs, is an excellent feature. It’s simple features like this that take airline credit cards to the next level and make them versatile everyday earners.
Every other purchase with the Gateway Visa signature earns a single mile per dollar spent.
Limited Time Bonus on Grocery Store Purchases
The United Gateway Card is also offering a special bonus for new applicants. Cardholders receive 3X miles on grocery store purchases through September 30, 2021. What makes these 3X miles on groceries extra appealing is that it applies to the first $1,500 spent at the grocery store every month.
Most grocery store cards cap the earnings to $500 a month, meaning the Gateway Card may just be a traveler’s best friend through the Fall of 2021.
How to Redeem Miles
The simplest way to redeem MileagePlus miles is through flights with United Airlines. United flies to hundreds of destinations across the world, allowing Gateway cardholders a wealth of travel opportunities.
United award fares come in two varieties: Saver Awards and Everyday Awards. Saver is the most economical of the award types, with flight awards starting as low as 5,000 miles. Everyday Awards, on the other hand, offer greater availability.
MileagePlus members and United Gateway Cardholders can also redeem miles for flights with United Airlines partners. These partners include the Star Alliance, featuring major carriers like Air Canada, ANA, Asiana, Avianca, Turkish Airlines, Lufthansa, and more.
For more information on how to redeem United MileagePlus miles, please visit our comprehensive United MileagePlus program guide.
United Travel Benefits
Like any co-branded airline credit card, the United Gateway Card offers holders unique benefits when traveling with the carrier. The most apparent of these benefits is 25% back on United in-flight purchases. These savings take the form of a statement credit when the cardholder uses their Gateway card to make purchases on any United-operated flight. Other perks include no blackout dates on award flight bookings and no foreign transaction fees.
Chase and United also state that cardholders receive access to “exclusive experiences, such as winemaker dinners and other unique virtual events.” However, this perk, like the Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection, comes with all Visa Signature credit cards. So, while these are great, they aren’t as exclusive as United makes out.
Other Travel Benefits
Other travel benefits available thanks to the impressive Visa Signature perks and protections include:
- Visa Signature Concierge: Customized customer service to help cardholders make reservations, buy tickets, and receive advice.
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services: 24/7 assistance for Signature cardholders anywhere in the world.
- Roadside Dispatch
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Cardholder Inquiry Services
- Zero Fraud Liability
Should You Apply for the United Gateway℠ Card?
The United Gateway Card is a quality addition to the no annual fee airline credit card space. No annual fee airline cards are somewhat hit-or-miss. While premium cards offer better benefits, the annual fee may not provide the value travelers need – especially if their travel plans don’t justify the cost associated with a premium card.
The Gateway Card isn’t overly impressive, but the notes it hits ring true. The best feature of the card is the 3X on groceries through 9/30/2021. Equally enjoyable, however, is the 2X miles on commuting and local transit. The signup bonus is pleasant, too, offering a decent incentive to get out and make full use of the card.
Overall, there is much more to like about the United Gateway Visa Signature than there is to loathe. If you fly with United enough to warrant a credit card, you can rest assured that the Gateway is a reliable tool to help you save towards your next vacation – and help you out on your trip too.