Last updated on February 16th, 2023
American Express® Green Card
American Express® Green Card
- See Pay Over Time APR Regular Purchase APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The American Express® Green Card is a solid rewards card for those who frequently travel or dine out. The card earns triple points for every dollar spent on many travel and transit expenses (such as flights, hotels, taxis, rideshares, and more) as well as on restaurant purchases. For every other dollar spent, the Green Card earns a single point. Points are applicable to a wide array of redemptions, including travel, purchases with major retailers, and more.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn up to $189 in annual statement credits to help you get through security faster with CLEAR®.
- Earn up to $100 in annual statement credits to access 750+ airport lounges globally through LoungeBuddy.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Regular Purchase APR: See Pay Over Time APR
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $150
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You want to earn triple points on flights, hotels, taxis, mass transit, tours, rideshares, and more
- You also want to earn triple points when dining out along with takeout and delivery, as well as single points on all other purchases
- You travel often, and can make best use of $100 in statement credits for both lounge access and CLEAR security fast-pass
- You don’t mind paying $150 in annual fees
American Express® Green CardTerms & Conditions ,
American Express Green Card Review
If you’re looking for an uncomplicated credit card that makes it easy to earn points when making travel arrangements, the American Express® Green Card may be a viable option to consider. Cardholders earn triple Membership Rewards® points on travel purchases and dining out worldwide, plus single points on other eligible purchases, which is as easy to remember as the points are to redeem. Eligible travel categories with the Green Card include flights, hotel stays, mass transit options, taxis and timeshares, and tours.
The American Express Green Card offers 45,000 Membership Rewards® points to cardholders who spend $2,000 on purchases with their new card in the first 90 days of opening the account. American Express’ Membership Rewards® service provides members with points to apply towards an impressive array of perks, including gift cards, flights and other travel rewards, immersive experiences, and more. Members also benefit from no limits on how many points they can earn or expiration dates on points earned.
Membership Rewards Travel Partners
The best options for Membership Rewards points are by booking travel through the American Express travel portal, or through their partners. Booking at Amextravel.com provides a point valuation of up to two cents per point. This valuation places the points on par with Chase Ultimate Rewards, widely considered some of the best travel rewards points on the market today.
American Express offers transfers to 20 partners:
|AeroMexico (Club Premier)||Avianca (LifeMiles)||Emirates (Skywards)|
|Air Canada (Aeroplan)||British Airways (Executive Club)||Etihad (Guest)|
|Aer Lingus (AerClub)||Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles)||Air France/KLM (Flying Blue)|
|All Nippon Airways (ANA Miles)||Delta Air Lines (SkyMiles)||Hawaiian Airlines (HawaiianMiles)|
|Iberia Plus||Choice Privileges||Hilton Honors|
|Marriott Bonvoy||JetBlue (TrueBlue)||Marriott Bonvoy|
|Marriott Bonvoy||Virgin Atlantic (Flying Club)|
Statement Credits Provide Additional Value
The American Express Green Card also comes with two features which are sure to be welcomed by the seasoned traveler. Cardholders receive statement credits when they use their Green Card to purchase lounge access through the LongeBuddy app or when they use their card to pay for a CLEAR membership.
LoungeBuddy offers one-off access to airport lounges worldwide for the discounted rate of $25 per visit, meaning this credit is good for up to four lounge trips each year. CLEAR is a security program that offers expedited security access at over 60 airports and stadiums across the United States. These perks offer significant value for the frequent traveler and more than make up for the $150 annual fee (see terms).
Amex Protections and Perks
With the American Express® Green Card in your wallet, you’re also privy to other travel-centric perks that add conveniences and peace of mind to each trip: car rental loss and damage insurance, baggage insurance, roadside assistance, and even 24/7 assistant services. When you’re far from home and need cash wired to you or a passport replacement, it’s comforting to know that medical, legal and financial services are just a phone call away thanks to your American Express® Green Card.
The American Express® Green Card also provides cardholders with the confidence of protection in the event of a dropped phone, a lapsed warranty, or any other similar incident. The card offers Purchase Protection for the theft or accidental damage of eligible purchases, as well as an additional 2 years of warranty coverage for select items bought with the card and offer manufacturer warranties of 5 years or less. Purchase Protection provides a valuable benefit to members not commonly found in other travel reward cards.
Should You Apply for the American Express® Green Card?
Overall, the American Express Green Card is an excellent entry-level addition to the American Express family of travel-oriented cards, which also features the American Express® Gold Card and the American Express Platinum Card. The $150 annual fee may seem steep, but the ability to earn triple points on travel and dining, plus the statement credits for lounge access and fast-track security, offers exceptional value – both in terms of saving time and money. The Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi Premier® Card are other options with a similar annual fee.