- Earn 3X points on travel (flights, hotels, transit, taxis, tours, ridesharing)
- Earn 3X points at restaurants worldwide
- Earn 1X points on all other purchases
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits to pay for your CLEAR® membership
- Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases
- Baggage insurance plan up to $1,250
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.24% to 22.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $150
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The American Express® Green Card is a solid rewards card for those who frequently travel or dine out. The card earns triple points for every dollar spent on many travel and transit expenses (such as flights, hotels, taxis, rideshares, and more) as well as on restaurant purchases. For every other dollar spent, the Green Card earns a single point. Points are applicable to a wide array of redemptions, including travel, purchases with major retailers, and more. The card also comes with statement credits for LoungeBuddy lounge access, CLEAR fast-track security at dozens of airports and stadiums, and the typical protections card members expect from American Express, all for an annual fee of $150.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn triple points on flights, hotels, taxis, mass transit, tours, rideshares, and more
- Also want to earn triple points when dining out, as well as single points on all other purchases
- Travel often, and can make best use of $100 in statement credits for both lounge access and CLEAR security fast-pass
- Don’t mind paying $150 in annual fees
American Express Green Card Review
If you’re looking for an uncomplicated credit card that makes it easy to earn points when making travel arrangements, the American Express® Green Card may be a viable option to consider. Cardholders earn triple Membership Rewards® points on travel purchases and dining out worldwide, plus single points on other eligible purchases, which is as easy to remember as the points are to redeem. Eligible travel categories with the Green Card include flights, hotel stays, mass transit options, taxis and timeshares, and tours.
The American Express Green Card offers 30,000 Membership Rewards® points to cardholders who spend $2,000 on purchases with their new card in the first 90 days of opening the account. American Express’ Membership Rewards® service provides members with points to apply towards an impressive array of perks, including gift cards, flights and other travel rewards, immersive experiences, and more. Members also benefit from no limits on how many points they can earn or expiration dates on points earned.
Statement Credits Provide Additional Value
The American Express Green Card also comes with two features which are sure to be welcomed by the seasoned traveler. Cardholders receive statement credits of $100 each when they use their Green Card to purchase lounge access through the LongeBuddy app or when they use their card to pay for a CLEAR membership. LoungeBuddy offers one-off access to airport lounges worldwide for the discounted rate of $25 per visit, meaning this credit is good for up to four lounge trips each year. CLEAR is a security program that offers expedited security access at over 60 airports and stadiums across the United States. These perks offer significant value for the frequent traveler and more than make up for the $150 annual fee.
AMEX Protections and Perks
With the American Express® Green Card in your wallet, you’re also privy to other travel-centric perks that add conveniences and peace of mind to each trip: car rental loss and damage insurance, baggage insurance, roadside assistance, and even 24/7 assistant services. When you’re far from home and need cash wired to you or a passport replacement, it’s comforting to know that medical, legal and financial services are just a phone call away thanks to your American Express® Green Card.
The American Express® Green Card also provides cardholders with the confidence of protection in the event of a dropped phone, a lapsed warranty, or any other similar incident. The card offers Purchase Protection for the theft or accidental damage of eligible purchases, as well as an additional 2 years of warranty coverage for select items bought with the card and offer manufacturer warranties of 5 years or less. Purchase Protection provides a valuable benefit to members not commonly found in other travel reward cards.
Should You Apply for the American Express® Green Card?
Overall, the American Express Green Card is an excellent entry-level addition to the American Express family of charge cards, which also features the American Express Gold Card and the American Express Platinum Card. The $150 annual fee may seem steep, but the ability to earn triple points on travel and dining, plus the statement credits for lounge access and fast-track security, offers exceptional value – both in terms of saving time and money.