Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 5th, 2021
- Earn 3X points on all eligible travel (flights, hotels, transit, taxis, tours, ridesharing)
- Earn 3X points at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery
- Earn 1X points on all other purchases
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits to pay for your CLEAR® membership
- Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases
- Baggage insurance plan up to $1,250
- Regular Purchase APR: See Pay Over Time APR
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $150
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- 33% off a monthly subscription - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- 50% off for up to 12 months - Offer Expires on January 03, 2022 - See Details
- Spend $125 or more, get $25 back. Up to 2 times (total of $50). - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $25 or more, get $5 back - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on June 20, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $150 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on April 29, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $50 or more, get $10 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $250 or more, get $50 back - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $75 or more, get $15 back - Offer Expires on May 09, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $25 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The American Express® Green Card is a solid rewards card for those who frequently travel or dine out. The card earns triple points for every dollar spent on many travel and transit expenses (such as flights, hotels, taxis, rideshares, and more) as well as on restaurant purchases. For every other dollar spent, the Green Card earns a single point. Points are applicable to a wide array of redemptions, including travel, purchases with major retailers, and more. The card also comes with statement credits for LoungeBuddy lounge access, CLEAR fast-track security at dozens of airports and stadiums, and the typical protections card members expect from American Express, all for an annual fee of $150.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn triple points on flights, hotels, taxis, mass transit, tours, rideshares, and more
- Also want to earn triple points when dining out along with takeout and delivery, as well as single points on all other purchases
- Travel often, and can make best use of $100 in statement credits for both lounge access and CLEAR security fast-pass
- Don’t mind paying $150 in annual fees
American Express Green Card Review
If you’re looking for an uncomplicated credit card that makes it easy to earn points when making travel arrangements, the American Express® Green Card may be a viable option to consider. Cardholders earn triple Membership Rewards® points on travel purchases and dining out worldwide, plus single points on other eligible purchases, which is as easy to remember as the points are to redeem. Eligible travel categories with the Green Card include flights, hotel stays, mass transit options, taxis and timeshares, and tours.
The American Express Green Card offers 45,000 Membership Rewards® points to cardholders who spend $2,000 on purchases with their new card in the first 90 days of opening the account. American Express’ Membership Rewards® service provides members with points to apply towards an impressive array of perks, including gift cards, flights and other travel rewards, immersive experiences, and more. Members also benefit from no limits on how many points they can earn or expiration dates on points earned.
Membership Rewards Travel Partners
The best options for Membership Rewards points are by booking travel through the American Express travel portal, or through their partners. Booking at Amextravel.com provides a point valuation of up to two cents per point. This valuation places the points on par with Chase Ultimate Rewards, widely considered some of the best travel rewards points on the market today.
American Express offers instant transfers to 15 partners:
Membership Rewards also offers near-instant (48 hours or less) transfers to five additional partners:
- All Nippon Airways (ANA)
- Singapore Airlines
- Cathay Pacific.
Statement Credits Provide Additional Value
The American Express Green Card also comes with two features which are sure to be welcomed by the seasoned traveler. Cardholders receive statement credits of $100 each when they use their Green Card to purchase lounge access through the LongeBuddy app or when they use their card to pay for a CLEAR membership.
LoungeBuddy offers one-off access to airport lounges worldwide for the discounted rate of $25 per visit, meaning this credit is good for up to four lounge trips each year. CLEAR is a security program that offers expedited security access at over 60 airports and stadiums across the United States. These perks offer significant value for the frequent traveler and more than make up for the $150 annual fee.
Amex Protections and Perks
With the American Express® Green Card in your wallet, you’re also privy to other travel-centric perks that add conveniences and peace of mind to each trip: car rental loss and damage insurance, baggage insurance, roadside assistance, and even 24/7 assistant services. When you’re far from home and need cash wired to you or a passport replacement, it’s comforting to know that medical, legal and financial services are just a phone call away thanks to your American Express® Green Card.
The American Express® Green Card also provides cardholders with the confidence of protection in the event of a dropped phone, a lapsed warranty, or any other similar incident. The card offers Purchase Protection for the theft or accidental damage of eligible purchases, as well as an additional 2 years of warranty coverage for select items bought with the card and offer manufacturer warranties of 5 years or less. Purchase Protection provides a valuable benefit to members not commonly found in other travel reward cards.
Should You Apply for the American Express® Green Card?
Overall, the American Express Green Card is an excellent entry-level addition to the American Express family of charge cards, which also features the American Express Gold Card and the American Express Platinum Card. The $150 annual fee may seem steep, but the ability to earn triple points on travel and dining, plus the statement credits for lounge access and fast-track security, offers exceptional value – both in terms of saving time and money.