Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on May 10th, 2022
Citi Premier® Card
- Regular Purchase APR 16.74% to 24.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 16.74% to 24.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $95
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 3X ThankYou® Points per dollar spent at restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, air travel and hotels
- 1X ThankYou® Point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No limit to how many points you can earn, and they never expire
- Earn 60,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 in the first three months of opening your account
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.74% to 24.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.74% to 24.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $95
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
Earning signup bonus points is easy with the Citi Premier® Card; 3X ThankYou® Points on select travel purchases, dining and entertainment purchases, and 1X ThankYou® Point on all other eligible purchases. New cardholders can also earn a sizable introductory bonus that can be redeemed for hundreds of dollars in gift cards after the first 3 months of account opening.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 3X bonus points on both common and occasional travel expenses, from gas and parking to flights and hotels
- Often go out to eat and enjoy attending live entertainment experiences, such as sports games and concerts
- Can see yourself spending $4,000 in the next 3 months in order to earn a bonus 60,000 ThankYou® Points
Citi Premier® Card Review
If you enjoy traveling, or just regularly commute to work or school, the benefits available to you with the Citi Premier® Card are quite advantageous. You can earn 3X ThankYou® Points on travel expenses including hotels, flights, and cruises, as well as everyday purchases like gas, public transportation, tolls, and parking. Speaking of common spending, this card also grants users the ability to earn 3X ThankYou® Points when dining at restaurants and supermarkets.
Enjoy an Impressive Signup Bonus
While you can also earn 1X ThankYou® Point on all other eligible purchases, the big draw comes in the card’s 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points, which can be earned after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of having the account. With a little forethought before a family vacation or anniversary celebration, you’ll hit that spending threshold in no time.
The appeal of the Citi Premier® Card increases exponentially for travel aficionados when you redeem all those ThankYou® Points that quickly accrue. ThankYou® Points can be redeemed for gift cards, used to shop on Amazon.com, and even pay for flights and hotel stays. In fact, if you redeem your ThankYou® Points through the ThankYou® Travel Center instead of getting a gift card, they’re worth 25% more. Factor in the Citi Premier® Card lacking a foreign transaction fee and you’ve got a true travel companion worth checking out.
Citi ThankYou Points Offer Huge Reward Potential
ThankYou points apply towards the following redemption options:
- Cash Back: Cash back applies to cash rewards, statement credits, and mortgage and student loan payments for Citi loans.
- Gift Cards: Citi rewards apply to gift cards from over 100 leading retailers and brands.
- Shopping: Cardholders can use ThankYou points to shop with Amazon, Best Buy, Expedia, PayPal, or 1-900-FLOWERS.
- Charity: Cardholders can also use their points to make donations to the American Red Cross or Smile Train.
ThankYou Rewards points also apply to travel bookings through the ThankYou from Citi travel portal. Reservations through the portal apply towards flights, hotels, cruises, and rental cars. Pints also apply to select activities. Citi Premier® Card offers its best value when booking travel (up to 1.7 cents per point)
Citi Transfer Partners
Citibank offers point transfers to 15 airline partners. These point transfer partners are at a 1:1 ratio, making them a great value for those who are also a member of the frequent flyer program of an associate carrier. The following are Citi ThankYou transfer partners:
|Aeromexico Club Premier||Choice Privileges||Air France KLM Flying Blue|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||Emirates Skywards||InterMiles|
|Asia Miles||EVA Air Infinity MileageLands||JetBlue TrueBlue|
|Aviatica LifeMiles||Etihad Guest||Malaysia Airlines Enrich|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer||Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus||Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles|
|Qatar Airways Privilege Club||Sears Shop Your Way||Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club|
Citi Premier® Card Versus Chase Sapphire Preferred Vs. Citi Custom Cash Card
The Citi Premier is a travel juggernaut with a modest annual fee. Perhaps the closets competitor to the Premier is Chase’s Sapphire Preferred, which also features a $95 annual fee. Here is how the two cards stack up:
- 3X points on dining, groceries, gas stations, air travel, and hotel stays
- 1X points on all other purchases
- $100 annual hotel credit
- Easy poinst transfer to nearly 20 partners
- Use points at Amazon and BestBuy.com
- No foreign transaction fees
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase
- 2X points on all other travel
- 3X points on dining and online grocery purchases
- 3X points on select streaming services
- $50 Annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit
- 25% more points value through Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 5% on purchases on your highest eligible spend category each billing cycle up to $500 spent
- Earn 1% on all other purchases
- 0% intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers
- Citi Entertainment access
- No annual fee
Like other Citibank credit cards, the Citi Premier® Card comes with Citi Service benefits. Ther most noteworthy of these is the Citi Entertainment feature. Citi Entertainment provides ” special access to purchase tickets to thousands of events, including presale tickets and exclusive experiences for the year’s most anticipated concerts, sporting events, dining experiences, and more.”
The Entertainment benefit is one of the more popular features of Citi credit cards, with users previously having exclusive access to concerts by artists including the likes of Taylor Swift.
Other Card Features
Other notable features with the Citi Prestige include the usual Mastercard World Elite features and protections. Mastercard World Elite is the pinnacle of the Mastercard product line, offering the following benefits and protections:
- ID Theft Protection
- Zero Liability Protection
- Mastercard Global Services
- Access to the Mastercard Luxury Hotels Collection
- Priceless Experiences and Golf
- ShopRunner membership at no cost
- Lyft, DoorDash, Fandango, and Hello Fresh Savings
- Cell phone protection
Citibank credit, debit, and banking products are available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
How does the Citi Premier® Card stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of Citibank as a bank:
What is the Citi Premier® Card like to live with? Before deciding if the card is right for you, here’s what our readers and members think about the card:
Should You Apply for the Citi Premier® Card?
The Citi Premier® Card is a reliable – and affordable – travel rewards credit card for those who travel frequently, but can’t justify the annual fee that comes with the Citi Prestige. Earning 3X ThankYou points on travel purchases, dining and entertainment, and 1X on everything else offers great value – as does the 60,000 bonus points for meeting minimum spending requirements.
The information related to Citi Premier® Card has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.