Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on July 9th, 2021
Citi Premier Card
Earn 80,000 Bonus ThankYou® Points
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $95
- Credit Needed Excellent
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 3X ThankYou® Points per dollar spent at restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, air travel and hotels
- 1X ThankYou® Point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- No limit to how many points you can earn, and they never expire
- Earn 80,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 in the first three months of opening your account
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $95
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
Earning signup bonus points is easy with the Citi Premier℠ Card; 3X ThankYou® Points on select travel purchases, dining and entertainment purchases, and 1X ThankYou® Point on all other eligible purchases. New cardholders can also earn a sizable introductory bonus that can be redeemed for hundreds of dollars in gift cards after the first 3 months of account opening.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 3X bonus points on both common and occasional travel expenses, from gas and parking to flights and hotels
- Often go out to eat and enjoy attending live entertainment experiences, such as sports games and concerts
- Can see yourself spending $4,000 in the next 3 months in order to earn a bonus 60,000 ThankYou® Points
Citi Premier℠ Card Review
If you enjoy traveling, or just regularly commute to work or school, the benefits available to you with the Citi Premier℠ Card are quite advantageous. You can earn 3X ThankYou® Points on travel expenses including hotels, flights, and cruises, as well as everyday purchases like gas, public transportation, tolls, and parking. Speaking of common spending, this card also grants users the ability to earn 3X ThankYou® Points when dining at restaurants and buying passes for entertainment experiences like movie premieres and live concerts.
Enjoy an Impressive Signup Bonus
While you can also earn 1X ThankYou® Point on all other eligible purchases, the big draw comes in the card’s 80,000 bonus ThankYou® Points, which can be earned after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of having the account. With a little forethought before a family vacation or anniversary celebration, you’ll hit that spending threshold in no time.
The appeal of the Citi Premier℠ Card increases exponentially for travel aficionados when you redeem all those ThankYou® Points that quickly accrue. ThankYou® Points can be redeemed for gift cards, used to shop on Amazon.com, and even pay for flights and hotel stays. In fact, if you redeem your ThankYou® Points through the ThankYou® Travel Center instead of getting a gift card, they’re worth 25% more. Factor in the Citi Premier℠ Card lacking a foreign transaction fee and waived annual fee for the first year, and you’ve got a true travel companion worth checking out.
Citi ThankYou Points Offer Huge Reward Potential
ThankYou points apply towards the following redemption options:
- Cash Back: Cash back applies to cash rewards, statement credits, and mortgage and student loan payments for Citi loans.
- Gift Cards: Citi rewards apply to gift cards from over 100 leading retailers and brands.
- Shopping: Cardholders can use ThankYou points to shop with Amazon, Best Buy, Expedia, PayPal, or 1-900-FLOWERS.
- Charity: Cardholders can also use their points to make donations to the American Red Cross or Smile Train.
ThankYou Rewards points also apply to travel bookings through the ThankYou from Citi travel portal. Reservations through the portal apply towards flights, hotels, cruises, and rental cars. Pints also apply to select activities. The Premier℠ Card offers its best value when booking travel (up to 1.7 cents per point)
Citi Transfer Partners
Citibank offers point transfers to 15 airline partners. These point transfer partners are at a 1:1 ratio, making them a great value for those who are also a member of the frequent flyer program of an associate carrier. The following are Citi ThankYou transfer partners:
- Air France/ KLM
- Cathay Pacific
- EVA Air
- Garuda Indonesia
- Jet Airways
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qatar Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Thai Airways
- Turkish Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
Like other Citibank credit cards, the Citi Premier℠ Card comes with Citi Service benefits. Ther most noteworthy of these is the Citi Entertainment feature. Citi Entertainment provides ” special access to purchase tickets to thousands of events, including presale tickets and exclusive experiences for the year’s most anticipated concerts, sporting events, dining experiences, and more.”
The Entertainment benefit is one of the more popular features of Citi credit cards, with users previously having exclusive access to concerts by artists including the likes of Taylor Swift.
Should You Apply for the Citi Premier℠ Card?
The Citi Premier℠ Card; is a reliable- and affordable – travel rewards credit card for those who travel frequently, but can’t justify the annual fee that comes with the Citi Prestige. Earning 3X ThankYou points on travel purchases, dining and entertainment, and 1X on everything else offers great value – as does the 60,000 bonus points for meeting minimum spending requirements.