Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on May 28th, 2021
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
Earn 65,000 Bonus Points
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $149
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- 2X points for every dollar spent on Southwest Airlines® purchases
- 1X points for every dollar spent on all other purchases
- 7,500 bonus points on each cardmember anniversary
- 65,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- $75 Southwest annual travel credit
- Four Upgraded Boardings per year
- 20% back on all in-flight drinks and Wi-Fi with Southwest
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $149
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
At a Glance
For frequent Southwest Airlines® flyers, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card is an airline card that makes it easy to reap benefits rapidly with double points earning, travel credits, and convenient in-flight discounts.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often, especially with Southwest Airlines®
- Are looking to use your credit card to make purchases abroad
- Make frequent in-flight purchases
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card Review
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card is a co-branded travel credit card that features a robust set of benefits.
Earn 65,000 Bonus Rapid Rewards Points
New Priority cardholders can earn 65,000 bonus points if they spend $2,000 with their new card in the first three months from opening an account. Given the approximate value of Southwest Rapid Rewards points, this sign-up bonus has a value of around $725 towards flights with the carrier – not bad for a very modest $2,000 spend!
How to Earn Rewards
Additionally, cardholders earn 2X Rapid Rewards points for every dollar spent on Southwest Airlines purchases. This includes checked baggage, in-flight purchases, and more.
Even if your expenses are not exclusively with Southwest – through which you’ll earn double points – you’ll still be rewarded with one point for every dollar, regardless of what you spend it on. It’s a very capable program that could easily have you redeem points for flights and other add-ons reasonably quickly.
7,500-Point Anniversary Bonus
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority cardholders also receive a 7,500-point anniversary bonus on their cardmember anniversary each year. In effect, you can earn up to 47,500 points for spending just $1,000 in the first 12 months of having an account. If you use this as your primary payment method, that’s not a difficult task to accomplish. And the rewards are quite substantial.
How to Redeem Rewards
When you begin to cash in on the rewards you’ve earned with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Card, you’ll notice that you can turn your Rapid Rewards points into just about anything; flexible rewards redemption is a big draw with this program.
· Travel: Once you’ve earned rewards for that dream trip you’ve been planning, you’re ready to redeem them. Points earned with the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Card can be redeemed to book or upgrade travel on Southwest. Rewards can be used to save on flights, seat upgrades, and more (including Companion Passes!). Log into your Rapid Rewards account on the Southwest® homepage, select a flight, and pay with points; the sky is the limit!
· Hotels: With the Southwest Rapid Rewards® program, cardholders are eligible to book hotel stays with points earned from their Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Card at over 70,000 hotels across the globe.
· Car Rentals: Renting a car often makes travel easier, as you’re able to move at your own pace, make pitstops at your leisure, and take your time enjoying your destination. Points earned with the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Card can be used towards hiring a car rental from several different rental companies.
· Retail: Points can be redeemed with hundreds of retail partners for products, services, and even gift cards. Shop retail options, from golf balls and electronics to home goods; or, find the right gift card from brands like Amazon, iTunes, Lowes and more to treat yourself or a friend – simply use your points to purchase!
· Buy, Gift, or Transfer: Cardholders can use their Rapid Rewards® points for a variety of purchases; they also have the option to gift points or transfer their points to whoever they’d like, even if they are not a cardholder. All the recipient must do is enroll in the Rapid Rewards program if they have not already. Points can even be donated to pre-selected charities; Southwest has chosen several charities that can accept points as a donation.
Other Travel Features
The travel features of the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Card don’t end with the decent point potential and impressive sign-up bonuses. The card also enjoys other Southwest Airline perks, including:
- A $75 Southwest annual travel credit
- Four upgraded boardings per year when available on Southwest flights
Beyond Southwest perks, the card also comes with baggage delay insurance for reimbursement for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over six hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for three days. Cardholders also enjoy no foreign transaction fees and Visa travel protections at no extra charge.
For more information on the Rapid Rewards loyalty program, check out:
Should You Apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card?
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority truly shines once your cardmember anniversary rolls around, though. You’ll automatically receive an additional 7,500 points, and, depending on the purchases you’ve made, you could also be in line to get up to a $75 credit as well as a reimbursement for up to four Upgraded Boardings – and the perks don’t stop there.
If you find yourself frequently making in-flight purchases, such as beverages, Wi-Fi, or movies, you’ll also find yourself getting a 20% discount for each. However, all these benefits come at a price in the form of a $149 annual fee. It’s a steep sum to pay for a credit card, especially when others offer similar rewards for less, but it can be offset with the proper amount of savings and statement credits. So if you plan to see “Southwest Airlines” often in your credit card statement, you’ll be glad to have the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority card in your pocket.