Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 10th, 2021
Chase Freedom Unlimited®
Earn $250 Cash Bonus + 5% Cash Back
- Regular Purchase APR 14.99% to 23.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 14.99% to 23.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn a $250 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on eligible grocery store purchases on up to $12,000 spent in the first year
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- Earn 3% on drugstore purchases
- Earn 1.5% on all other purchases
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.99% to 23.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening da
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.99% to 23.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® credit card is a reliable option for customers looking to pair an attractive cash back rewards program with generous introductory interest rates. Cardholders can redeem for cash, travel, and more.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are looking for a low-rate credit card to perform a balance transfer
- Prefer straightforward rewards earnings rather than quarterly categories requiring activation
- Will make at least $500 in purchases in the first 90 days
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Chase Freedom Unlimited® Review
The Chase Freedom Unlimited® credit card earns an enhanced amount of rewards that make it the perfect option for those who want an everyday earner with quality perks and bonuses.
The Freedom Unlimited enjoys the same introductory bonus as the Chase Freedom Flex. New accounts can earn a $250 statement credit after making $500 in purchases within the first three months. This bonus only applies to those who have not received a signup bonus for the Chase Freedom Unlimited within the last 24 months.
The card also comes with the same 0% introductory APR as the Freedom Flex, with a variable APR after that. That 0% intro APR period lasts for 15 months, making the card an a excellent option for those who want to make a large purchase, such as buying a new iPhone. The bonus works equally well for those with an existing balance they want to pay down over 15 months, however.
How to Earn Rewards
Unlike the Chase Freedom Flex Card, the Chase Freedom Unlimited Card earned a fixed rate of rewards with every purchase: 1.5% back with every purchase. That 1.5% back isn’t as impressive as the up to 5% back that comes with the Flex, or the Discover It Cash Back. That said, however, earning 1.5% back is an exceptional value.
Now, however, the Freedom Unlimited offers much more than 1.5% back on all purchases. The card, like the Freedom Flex, earns 5% back on travel purchases made through the Ultimate Rewards portal, including vacation and car rentals.
The card also earns 3% back on bonus categories dining and restaurant purchases, which also include take-out orders and deliveries through eligible delivery services, like Grub Hub and UberEATS. That 3% back also applies to drugstore purchases. All other purchases earn the usual 1.5% back that Freedom cardholders know and love.
The enhanced 1.5% back is ideal for those who want a cash back credit card to use every day, but don’t spend enough on the rotating 5% reward points categories to warrant that type of credit card. And for those individuals, the Chase Unlimited is one of the best on the market today.
How to Redeem Rewards
The value with Chase credit cards comes from the versatility of the rewards they offer. Chase Freedom Unlimited cardholders can use their points (Chase tallies cash back as points – 1X points per 1% back) for statement credits or deposits into existing Chase banking accounts.
Additionally, cardholders can use points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards® portal. Redemption options include:
- Gift cards
- Amazon and Apple purchases
- Products and travel through Ultimate Rewards
Keep in mind that using points through Amazon causes a 20% reduction in points value, so 100 points translate to $.80 rather than $1. Other offers, like travel, however, may provide a higher value than one cent per point.
Points never expire if the Chase account is open and in good standing. This means cardholders can move points from one Chase credit card to another for the best value. Even better, Chase has no minimum amount required for redeeming points.
Other Card Features
The Freedom Unlimited Card earns additional incentives from Chase partners. These benefits include 5% back on Lyft rides through March 2022. New accounts also qualify for three complimentary months of DoorDash DashPass. DashPass provides free delivery on all DoorDash orders over $12
Since Chase cards are Visa products, they come with the typical Visa benefits and protections. These benefits include:
- Zero Fraud Liability: Cardholders won’t be held responsible for any unauthorized charges on their account.
- Purchase Protection: New purchases receive 120 days of purchase protection against damage or theft. Purchase protection limits are $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Extended Warranty Protection: Cardholders enjoy an extra year of warranty protection for purchases with a U.S. manufacturer’s warranty of up to three years.
Should You Apply for the Chase Freedom Unlimited®?
“Unlimited” is the keyword for the Chase Freedom Unlimited® credit card. That’s because cardholders earn cash back rewards – 1.5% to be exact – at an unlimited rate. The addition of 3% back on dining and drug stores (plus 5% back on eligible travel) really sets the Freedom unlimited apart from competitors, like the Amex Cash Magnet. For those that want to use their credit card for everyday purchases, the Freedom Unlimited may be the better option when it comes to earning cash back rewards.
Another key perk of the Chase Freedom Unlimited is how balance transfer-friendly it is. Don’t expect any interest on purchases or balance transfers for an eye-opening 15 months from the date of account opening. Cardholders will still have to pay a balance transfer fee, though, but the amount being transferred will dictate how much of a concern that factor will be.
Overall, the Chase Freedom Unlimited® is an excellent option that should be carefully considered for those who love rewards and hate restrictions.