Last updated on September 23rd, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
- 18.99% - 28.99% (Variable) Regular Purchase APR
- 18.99% - 28.99% (Variable) Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% (Variable) Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Citi® Double Cash Card is one of the most versatile cash back credit cards on the market today, thanks to impressive, flat-rate cash back, lucrative introductory 0% APR offers, and more. Cardholders earn 2% back on every eligible purchase: 1% back at the time of sale and an additional 1% back when they pay their statement balance. Cash back is redeemable for statement credits, direct deposits, checks, or converted as ThankYou® points.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- To earn cash back, pay at least the minimum due on time.
- Balance Transfer Only Offer: 0% intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 18.99% - 28.99%, based on your creditworthiness.
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back. Intro APR does not apply to purchases.
- If you transfer a balance, interest will be charged on your purchases unless you pay your entire balance (including balance transfers) by the due date each month.
- There is an intro balance transfer fee of 3% of each transfer (minimum $5) completed within the first 4 months of account opening. After that, your fee will be 5% of each transfer (minimum $5).
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.99% - 28.99% (Variable)
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 18 months on Balance Transfers
- Balance Transfer APR: 18.99% - 28.99% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of each transfer (minimum $5) completed within the first 4 months of account opening. A balance transfer fee of 5% of each transfer ($5 minimum) applies if completed after 4 months of account opening.
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% (Variable)
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: 5% of each cash advance; $10 minimum
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% (Variable)
- Annual Fee: $0
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3%
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- You prefer earning cash back at a flat rate rather than in rotating categories
- You're looking to either consolidate existing balances or pay down a large purchase with no interest charges for an extended period of time
- You like to have the flexibility of converting cash back into lucrative rewards points
- You're considering a credit card without an annual fee
This post may contain links from partner offers, and we may receive compensation when you click on links to these offers. Please see our advertiser and editorial disclosures above for more information. Citi is an advertising partner.
Citi® Double Cash Card Review
The Citi® Double Cash Card is a cash back rewards credit card that gives you the satisfaction of earning cash back – twice! The card, issued by Citibank, earns an unlimited 1% cash back on every dollar spent on purchases, plus an additional 1% back when you pay off the purchase in your statement balance.
How to Earn Cash Back
Every purchase with the Citi® Double Cash Card earns 2% back in total. This 2% back works out as follows: 1% back when you make an eligible purchase with the card, and an additional 1% back when you pay off the corresponding balance. There is no limit to the amount of cash back earned. However, there are restrictions to the types of transactions that qualify for the double cash back. These transactions include:
|Balance transfers||Card account checks||Unauthorized or fraudulent transactions|
|Cash advances||Returns for credit||Traveler’s cheques or foreign currency purchases|
|Lottery tickets||Money orders or wire transfers||Reloading of a prepaid debit or gift cards|
|Card fees, late fees, or finance charges|
Flat-Rate Cash Back Vs. Revolving Categories
The Citi® Double Cash Card is a flat-rate cash back card, much like the Chase Freedom Unlimited or the American Express Cash Magnet Card. These cards offer a basic earning rate for all purchases – 1.5% back, specifically.
While the Double Cash Card technically earns 2% back, this is less than cards with rotating categories, such as the Discover It Cash Back or the Chase Freedom Flex. These examples earn 5% back on select categories that rotate every quarter and 1% back on everything else. For those who are very budget-savvy and like to plan all their purchases ahead of time, a cash back card that offers enhanced earnings in select categories each quarter may be preferable.
For everyone else, however, the ability to earn a higher flat rate than these rotating category cards with every purchase is superior – especially if your purchase habits don’t sync with the 5% categories. In this regard, the Citi® Double Cash Card is an enticing option when compared to cards like the Chase Freedom Unlimited, as it effectively earns 2% back, rather than 1.5%. The only requirement for earning 2% back is making timely payments, which is something most people are likely to observe anyway.
How to Redeem Rewards
Citi offers several ways for cardmembers to use their cash back rewards. These options include statement credits, direct deposits, or as a check. Cardholders can also choose to automatically convert their cash back towards Citi ThankYou® points. Citi ThankYou® points are the currency of the Citi ThankYou® Rewards Program, with an estimated value of one cent per point. ThankYou® points are applicable towards a wide variety of redemptions, including:
- Gift cards, including 15% more value when redeeming ThankYou points for gift cards from Wayfair®, Sephora®, and Grubhub.
- Merchandise through participating retailers
Citi® Perks and Protections
The Double Cash Card comes with an impressive collection of perks and security features courtesy of Citi®. These include:
- Citi Entertainment: Citi provides cardholders with exclusive access to events and ticket presales for popular concerts, sporting events, and more.
- Citi Lost Wallet: Citi’s Lost Wallet service provides emergency card replacement, as well as emergency cash, should your card be lost or stolen.
- Citi Identity Theft Solutions: Citi provides comprehensive support in the event of identity theft and offers expedited service to help get your life back on track should you fall victim.
Citi® Double Cash Card vs. the Competition
How does the Citi® Double Cash Card stack up against other popular 2% cash back cards?
|Citi® Double Cash Card||Wells Fargo Active Cash||Apple Card|
|2% back on all purchases (1% back when you purchase and 1% back when you pay)||Unlimited 2% back on all purchases||
|0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months after completing within first 4 months of account opening||Introductory 0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers and purchases|
|No annual fee||No annual fee||No annual fee|
Related Article: Citi Double Cash Vs. Other Unlimited Cash Back Cards
0% Intro APR for 18 Months on Balance Tranfers
Beyond earning cash back and Citi perks, what else is there to know about the Double Cash Card? The card features no annual fee, which is always welcome for a rewards card. Equally appealing is the 0% intro APR for the first 18 months on balance transfers (when they transfer completed within the first four months of opening an account).
Eighteen months to pay down existing credit card debt is an excellent feature and one that is made even better by the lack of an annual fee. This means you can take your time paying down your existing balances – all while earning cash back at a higher rate than many other comparable credit cards.
Citibank credit, debit, and banking products are available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
Citi Double Cash Rewards FAQs
Have a question about the Citi Double Cash credit card? Here are some of the most common questions concerning the Diamond Preferred from Citi bank, and the answers:
- Citi partners with Experian and FICO to generate credit scores for users, with the bank pulling all three credit bureaus when applying for the Citi Double Cash Card. Typically, Citibank pulls either Experian or Equifax when you apply for one of its credit cards.
- Citi has a grace period of 23 days with its credit cards, but there are no grace periods on Balance Transfers and Cash Advances.
- Citi requires good or excellent credit to successfully apply many of its credit cards – the Double Cash back card included. This requirement means you should expect to have a FICO credit score of 720 or higher to get the card.
- You can call Citi Customer Service at 1-800-950-5114 (TTY: 1-800-325-2865 for hearing and speech impaired services only).
- 3% of each purchase transaction in U.S. dollars.
- The Citi Double Cash now earns cash back rewards as Citi ThankYou Rewards points. Cardmembers will automatically earn TY points on every purchase with no requirements to convert existing rewards.
- No. currently the Double Cash from Citi only offers 0% intro APR on BTs and not purchases.
- Citi usually posts points to ThankYou Rewards accounts the day after the statement closes.