Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on January 17th, 2022
Discover it® Cash Back
Earn Up to 5% Cash Back
- Regular Purchase APR 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 14 months from account opening
- Processing Network Discover
- 5% cash back in rotating categories - choose from grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, select rideshares and online shopping
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Discover matches all of the cash back earned by the cardholder at the end of the first year automatically; there is no limit to how much cash back is matched
- Cash back rewards never expire, earn unlimited cash back
- Use rewards at Amazon checkout
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 14 months from account opening
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 14 months from date of first transfer
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transfer posted at the promotional rate. After that, 5% of the amount of each transfer
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: None the first time you pay late. After that, up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Discover It Cash Back Card is a cash back credit card that offers enhanced earning potential in a selection of rotating categories. Cardholders earn 5% back on purchases in categories that rotate each quarter, and 1% on all other purchases. The card also features 0% intro APR for the first 14 months on purchases and balance transfers, Discover’s 100% U.S.-based customer service, Discover’s bonus cash back match, and no annual fee or foreign transaction fees.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 5% back on select category purchases each quarter, including restaurants, gas stations, select rideshares, and online shopping.
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee or foreign transaction fees
- Want 100% U.S.-based customer service
- Don’t mind the frustration of categories changing every three months
Discover It Cash Back Card Review
The Discover It Cash Back Card is a lucrative cash back credit card from Discover. The card earns 5% cash back on purchases in select categories that rotate quarterly, and 1% back on all other purchases. Discover matches the rewards earned for the first year with their Cashback Match, meaning they’ll double the total cash back – earn $500 back during the year, and Discover will make it $1,000 automatically.
That ability to match all the cash back you earn in year one makes the Discover Card one of the best options for cash rewards. This is especially true when comparing the potential reward to other sign-up bonuses from other issuers, like Chase, American Express, or Citi.
How to Earn 5% Cash Back
The Discover It Cash Back is like the Chase Freedom Flex Card and other 5% rewards cards in that it earns 5% back on a selection of categories that rotate every quarter, like grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, and more.
Rotating categories are equal parts frustrating and exciting, in that they offer the chance to earn enhanced cash back on purchases in categories you love, but for only one quarter each year and up to the quarterly maximum of $2,500). For the rest of the year, you’ll only earn 1% cash back on everyday purchases.
Discover is great in that they espouse openness and honesty, meaning cardholders don’t have to wait to know what categories they’ll earn 5% cash back in. Discover has already released its comprehensive list of 5% cash back categories for 2022, with the enhanced 5% rewards rate looking like this:
2022 Discover 5% Cashback Calendar
Grocery Stores and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships
Applies to the first $1,500 in purchases at stand-alone grocery stores, fitness clubs, or gym memberships.
Official terms: Activate to earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Grocery Stores (stand-alone) and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships from 1/1/22 (or the date on which you activate 5%, whichever is later) through 3/31/22, on up to $1,500 in purchases. Grocery Store purchases include those made at supermarkets, meat lockers, bakeries, smaller grocery stores, and grocery delivery services. All purchases made at Walmart, Target, convenience stores, wholesale clubs, discount stores, and supercenters are not eligible. Fitness Club & Gym Memberships include membership fees and purchases at health clubs. Athletic or recreation facilities may be eligible. Virtual and in-person fitness classes may be eligible. Individual merchants and stand-alone stores within fitness clubs, gyms, athletic or recreation facilities may not be eligible in this category.
How to Redeem Cash Back
As with other discover It credit cards, the Discover it Cash Back offers an easy and straightforward way to redeem the cash back you earn. Cardholders can claim their cash back through statement credits to help pay down balances on their Discover credit cards, or as a deposit into a checking or savings account that they link to their Discover account. There are also other redemption options, including gift cards from major brands, using points to pay for purchases with PayPal or Amazon, and more.
Should You Apply for the Discover It Cash Back Card?
The Discover It Cash Back Card sounds enticing. After all, who doesn’t want to earn 5% cash back when shopping with Amazon or the combination of streaming service subscriptions that many tend to have? Like the Chase Freedom, however, the card is both a blessing and a curse.
5% back is great, but having to wait for months on end until your preferred categories enter the 5% window can be frustrating. Fortunately, however, Discover has a nice selection of categories designed to work with everyone’s wants and needs. Online purchases earning 5% around Christmas and the holidays is great, as is %% at pharmacies and drug stores in the dead of winter when cold and flu season hits hard. Unfortunately, however, these categories earn 1% for the rest of the year.
Discover has a whole family of cards that work together, though the company limits each individual to just two cards. The Chrome Card earns 2% back on restaurant and gas station purchases all year, making it a solid option if you plan on using your card for these expenses all year. Additionally, if you want to earn 1.5% on everything, the Discover It Miles Card is another solid option.
Ultimately, however, the Cash Back Card is probably the preferred Discover credit card, as the categories on offer are excellent. While 5% may be fleeting, if you budget and plan your spending ahead of time, you can easily maximize your cash back savings, which is doubled in the first year.