Discover it® Chrome Gas & Restaurants
2% Cash Back on Gas & Restaurants
- Regular Purchase APR 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 14 months from date of account opening
- Processing Network Discover
- 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 per quarter
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Discover will match all cash back earned by the cardholder at the end of their first year of card use; there is no limit to the amount of cash back that will be matched
- Cash back rewards never expire
- Get a free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 14 months from date of account opening
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 14 months from date of first transfer
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Up to 5% of the amount of each transfer
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Discover It Chrome Gas & Restaurants Card is a simple cash back credit card that offers improved savings on fill-ups and chow downs. The card earns 2% cash back on gas station and restaurant purchases and 1% back on everything else. Discover also matches the total amount of cash back earned after the first year, meaning cardholders get double their money back automatically. The card also features 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for the first 14 months and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 2% back on gas and restaurant purchases all year
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
- Prefer a card with no foreign transaction fees
- Want 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months
The Discover It Chrome Gas & Restaurants Card Review:
The Discover It Chrome Gas & Restaurants Card is a cash back credit card designed for those who frequently spend their money on fuel or dining out. The card earns 2% cash back on every purchase made at either gas stations or restaurants, and 1% back on every other dollar spent on purchases.
Discover caps the 2% cash back to the first $1,000 of combined purchases each quarter, in those categories which is a letdown, but if you use your card for fueling up or dining out for less than $4,000 in purchases each year, there’s no need to worry.
Another reason no to worry about the cap on 2% cash back is that Discover automatically matches the cash back earned for the first year of membership. That means if you use your Discover It Chrome Card and earn $500 in cash back, Discover will match that, giving you an impressive $1,000 cash back. Cash back rewards with Discover are simple and straightforward.
Cash back is redeemable as either a statement credit or as a direct deposit into a linked bank account. There are no restrictions on when you can redeem, as Discover gives you the freedom to use your rewards when you like.
Beyond the Discover Cashback Match, the Chrome Card also comes with two other introductory offers. New accounts reactive 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 14 months, plus a 3% introductory bonus transfer fee. After that, they can expect a competitive APR and a balance transfer fee of up to 5%.
Should You Apply for the Discover It Chrome Card?
The Discover family of credit cards are complimentary of each other in that they typically have some overlap while being very proficient in one area. With the Discover It Chrome Gas & Restaurants Card, that area of expertise is – you guessed it – gas and restaurants. For those that only plan to use their card for dining out, ordering in, chowing down, or fueling up, the 2% cash back on purchases is superior to other Discover products all year round. Otherwise, the Discover It Cash Back , the Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card, or the Citi Double Cash Card are the way to go.
The Discover It Cash Back offers 5% back on purchases in select categories that rotate each quarter, and 1% back on everything else. For the second quarter, however, those categories include gas stations; and for the third quarter, you’ll earn 5% back on restaurants.
If you plan on using your credit card for mostly restaurant purchases or when fueling up and want that solid 2% cash back rate all year long, the Chrome Card is perfect for your needs. If, however, you want a little more wiggle room and are willing to earn 1% in three quarters for the chance to earn 5% in select categories, the Cash Back may be your better bet.