Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 11th, 2021
NHL® Discover it®
5% Cash Back + 10% NHL Discount
- Regular Purchase APR 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 14 months from date of account opening date
- Processing Network Discover
- Save 10% at Shop.NHL.com with the code ITPAYS. Save 10% on your NHL.TVTM subscription when you use your Discover card
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Discover automatically matches all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year—only for new cardmembers
- View your FICO® score for free on monthly statements, mobile, and online
- Choose your team, show your pride - all 31 team logos are available as card art
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 14 months from date of account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 14 months from date of first transfer
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of transfers that post at the promotional rate. After that, 5% of the amount of each transfer
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: None the first time you pay late. After that, up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The NHL Discover It is a cash back credit card that offers enhanced earning potential in a selection of rotating categories, but with an NHL touch. Cardholders earn 5% back on purchases in categories that rotate each quarter, and 1% on all other purchases. The card also features 0% intro APR for the first 14 months on purchases and balance transfers, Discover’s 100% U.S.-based customer service, and no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 5% back on select categories each quarter, including restaurants, gas stations, select rideshares, and online shopping.
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee or foreign transaction fees
- Want to support their favorite NHL team
- Want a card where Discover will match all the cash they earn for the first year
NHL Discover It Card Review
The NHL Discover It Cash Back Card is an NHL-themed credit card from Discover. The NHL credit card is essentially a redesigned version of the Discover It Cash Back, as it also earns 5% cash back on purchases in rotating bonus categories ( from grocery stores, restaurants, gas and, and more) and 1% cash back everyday purchases automatically. And, like with other Discover credit cards, Discover matches the rewards earned for the first year with their Cashback Match, meaning hockey fans can double their cash back automatically.
The NHL® Discover it® earns 5% cash back in the same categories as the Discover It Cash Back, which looks like this:
2021 Discover 5% Cashback Calendar
Grocery Stores, Walgreens, and CVS
Applies to the first $1,500 in purchases at stand-alone grocery stores, Walgreens, or CVS locations.
Official terms: Grocery Store purchases made at convenience stores, gas stations, warehouse clubs, discount stores, supercenters (or at grocery stores associated with supercenters or discount stores), including Walmart and Target are not eligible. Walgreens and CVS purchases include only purchases made in-store at Walgreens or CVS, online at Walgreens.com or CVS.com, or through the Walgreens or CVS app. Individual merchants and stand-alone stores within physical Walgreens or CVS locations (including health centers), or on Walgreens.com or CVS.com, may not be eligible in this category.
How to Redeem Cash Back
As with other discover It credit cards, the NHL Discover it offers straightforward redemption options. Cash back is redeemable for statement credits towards existing Discover credit card balances, as deposits into checking or savings accounts lined to the account, or for purchases on Amazon.com.
Should You Apply for the NHL® Discover it® Cash Back Card?
The NHL Discover It is a solid cash back credit card that allows NHL fans to show their pride when they use their card to pay for purchases. With over 30 logos to select from (including the NHL itself), the card is the ideal way to show other shoppers where your loyalties lie as you swipe your way to 5% back savings.
While the card doesn’t differ much from the Cash Back Card, the NHL partnership allows you to add some flavor to your Discover Card. Discover cards are typically understated, but with the NHL Discover It Card, bright colors, and flashy logos combine to make a visual statement, most Discover’s simply can’t.