Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 26th, 2022
NHL® Discover it®
- Regular Purchase APR 12.24% to 23.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 12.24% to 23.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 18 months from date of account opening date
- Processing Network Discover
- Save 10% at Shop.NHL.com with the code ITPAYS. Save 10% on your NHL.TVTM subscription when you use your Discover card
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Discover automatically matches all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year—only for new cardmembers
- View your FICO® score for free on monthly statements, mobile, and online
- Choose your team, show your pride - all 31 team logos are available as card art
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 18 months from date of account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 12.24% to 23.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 18 months from date of first transfer
- Balance Transfer APR: 12.24% to 23.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of transfers that post at the promotional rate. After that, 5% of the amount of each transfer
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: None the first time you pay late. After that, up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The NHL Discover It is a cash back credit card that offers enhanced earning potential in a selection of rotating categories, but with an NHL touch. Cardholders earn 5% back on purchases in categories that rotate each quarter, and 1% on all other purchases. The card also features 0% intro APR for the first 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, Discover’s 100% U.S.-based customer service, and no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 5% back on select categories each quarter, including restaurants, gas stations, select rideshares, and online shopping.
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee or foreign transaction fees
- Want to support their favorite NHL team
- Want a card where Discover will match all the cash they earn for the first year
NHL Discover It Card Review
The NHL Discover It Cash Back Card is an NHL-themed credit card from Discover. The NHL credit card is essentially a redesigned version of the Discover It Cash Back, as it also earns 5% cash back on purchases in rotating bonus categories ( from grocery stores, restaurants, gas and, and more) and 1% cash back everyday purchases automatically. And, like with other Discover credit cards, Discover matches the rewards earned for the first year with their Cashback Match, meaning hockey fans can double their cash back automatically.
The NHL® Discover it® earns 5% cash back in the same categories as the Discover It Cash Back, which looks like this:
2022 Discover 5% Cashback Calendar
Grocery Stores and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships
Applies to the first $1,500 in purchases at stand-alone grocery stores, fitness clubs, or gym memberships.
Official terms: Activate to earn 5% Cashback Bonus at Grocery Stores (stand-alone) and Fitness Club & Gym Memberships from 1/1/22 (or the date on which you activate 5%, whichever is later) through 3/31/22, on up to $1,500 in purchases. Grocery Store purchases include those made at supermarkets, meat lockers, bakeries, smaller grocery stores, and grocery delivery services. All purchases made at Walmart, Target, convenience stores, wholesale clubs, discount stores, and supercenters are not eligible. Fitness Club & Gym Memberships include membership fees and purchases at health clubs. Athletic or recreation facilities may be eligible. Virtual and in-person fitness classes may be eligible. Individual merchants and stand-alone stores within fitness clubs, gyms, athletic or recreation facilities may not be eligible in this category.
How to Redeem Cash Back
As with other discover It credit cards, the NHL Discover it offers straightforward redemption options. Cash back is redeemable for statement credits towards existing Discover credit card balances, as deposits into checking or savings accounts lined to the account, or for purchases on Amazon.com.
0% Intro APR
All Discover credit cards (with the exception of the credit building options) feature 0% intro APR. This introductory APR period of 15 months is comparable to the lengthy 0% intro APR on offer from both the Citi Simplicity® Card and Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card.
Should You Apply for the NHL® Discover it® Cash Back Card?
The NHL Discover It is a solid cash back credit card that allows NHL fans to show their pride when they use their card to pay for purchases. With over 30 logos to select from (including the NHL itself), the card is the ideal way to show other shoppers where your loyalties lie as you swipe your way to 5% back savings.
While the card doesn’t differ much from the Cash Back Card, the NHL partnership allows you to add some flavor to your Discover Card. Discover cards are typically understated, but with the NHL Discover It Card, bright colors, and flashy logos combine to make a visual statement, most Discover’s simply can’t.
For those that only plan to use their card for dining out, ordering in, chowing down, or fueling up, the 2% cash back on purchases is superior to other Discover products all year round. Otherwise, the Discover It Cash Back , Citi Custom Cash℠ Card, the Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card, Chase Freedom Flex or Freedom Unlimited, or the Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer are the way to go.
The information related to Citi Custom Cash Card, Citi Simplicity Card, Citi Diamond Preferred Card, and Citi Double Cash Card has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.