Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Citi® Double Cash Card
2% Cash Back on All Purchases
- Regular Purchase APR 13.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 13.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 0% Intro APR for 18 months on balance transfers
- Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases
- Uncapped capped earnings
- No annual fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 18 months
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of each purchase transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Take a hike with an award-winning landscape photographer – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Immerse yourself in the world of Italian food and wine – Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 – See Details
- Save as you shop at London Designer Outlet – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Achieve home office harmony with a Feng Shui session – Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 – See Details
- Take a flawless makeup masterclass at Cosmetics à la Carte – Offer Expires on June 30, 2021 – See Details
- Learn to DJ like an expert – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Shop like a celebrity with LookStyler – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Upgrade your stay in Belfast and see the city in style – Offer Expires on March 31, 2021 – See Details
- Master gin and tonics with tips from two expert restaurateurs – Offer Expires on May 28, 2021 – See Details
- Get a taste of the pirate’s life with Miami Children’s Museum – Offer Expires on January 22, 2031 – See Details
- View All Deals –
At a GlanceThe Citi® Double Cash Card is a cash back credit card with a unique twist. Cardholders earn 2% back on every eligible purchase: 1% back at the time of sale and an additional 1% back when they pay their balance. Cash back is redeemable for statement credits, direct deposits, checks, or converted as ThankYou points. The card also comes with 0% intro APR for 18 months on balance transfers completed within the first four months of opening an account. There is no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Prefer earning cash back at a flat rate rather than in rotating categories
- Are looking to either consolidate existing balances or pay down existing card balances
- Like the flexibility to convert cash back into lucrative reward points
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Citi Double Cash Card ReviewThe Citi Double Cash Card is a cash back rewards credit card that gives you the satisfaction of earning cash back – twice! The card, from Citibank, earns an unlimited 1% cash back on every dollar spent on purchases, plus an additional 1% back when you pay for the purchase.
How to Earn Cash BackEvery purchase with the Citibank Double Cash Back Card earns 2% back in total. This 2% back works out as follows: 1% back when you make an eligible purchase with the card, and an additional 1% back when you make the minimum statement balance payment each month. There is no limit to the amount of cash back earned. As with any cash back credit card that claims rewards are unlimited, there are restrictions as to the types of transactions that qualify for the double cash back. These transactions include:
- Balance transfers
- Cash advances
- Card account checks
- Returns for credit
- Unauthorized or fraudulent transactions
- Traveler’s cheques or foreign currency purchases
- Money orders or wire transfers
- Lottery tickets
- Reloading of a prepaid debit or gift cards
- Citi products, such as Citi Flex Loans or Citi Flex Pays
- Card fees, late fees, or finance charges
Flat-Rate Cash Back Vs. Revolving CategoriesThe Citibank Double Cash Back Card is a flat-rate cash back card, much like the Chase Freedom Unlimited Card or the American Express Cash Magnet Card. These cards offer a basic rate for all purchases, which in the case of the two cards mentioned, is 1.5% back. While the Double Cash Card earns 2% back, this is still less than cards with rotating categories, such as the Discover It Cash Back or the Chase Freedom Card. These cards earn 5% back on select categories that rotate every quarter and 1% back on everything else. For those who are very budget savvy and like to plan all their purchases ahead of time, a cash back card that offers enhanced earnings in select categories each quarter may be preferable. For everyone else, however, the ability to earn a higher flat rate than these rotating category cards with every purchase is superior – especially if your purchase habits don’t sync with the 5% categories. In this regard, the Citi® Double Cash Card is an enticing option when compared to cards like the Chase Freedom Unlimited, as it effectively earns 2% back, rather than 1.5%. The only requirement for earning 2% back is making timely payments, which is something most people are likely to observe anyways.
How to RedeemCiti offers several ways for cardmembers to use their cash back rewards. These options include statement credits, direct deposits, or as a check. Cardholders can also choose to convert their cash back towards Citi ThankYou points. Citi ThankYou Points are the currency of the Citi ThankYou Rewards Program, with an estimated value of one cent ($0.01/point). ThankYou points are applicable towards a wide variety of redemptions, including:
- Gift cards
- Merchandise through participating retailers
- Citi loan payments (mortgages, student loans, etc.)
Citi Perks and ProtectionsThe Double Cash Card comes with an impressive collection of perks and security features courtesy of Citi. These include:
- Citi Entertainment: Citi provides cardholders with exclusive access to exclusive events and ticket presales for the hottest concerts, sporting events, and more.
- Citi Lost Wallet: Citi’s Lost Wallet service provides emergency card replacement, as well as emergency cash, should your card be lost or stolen.
- Citi Identity Theft Solutions: Citi provides comprehensive support in the event of identity theft and offers expedited service to help get your life back on track should you fall victim.