Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on January 18th, 2022
TD Double Up Card
Earn a $150 Cash Back Bonus
- Regular Purchase APR 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- Earn up to 2% cash back on all purchases
- 0% APR for 15 months on balance transfers
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.99%, 19.99% or 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The TD Double Up Visa Card is a no-annual-fee 2% cash back card from TD Bank. The card also offers an introductory 0% APR on balance transfers, a $150 statement credit bonus after meeting minimum spend requirements, and more.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Already bank with TD Bank
- Prefer statement credits to travel or merchandise awards
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
- Are looking for a credit card that can earn additional cash back
TD Double Up Card Review
How to Earn Rewards
Like the Double Cash Card from Citibank, the TD Double Up Visa Card earns an unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases. And, like Citi’s card, that 2% back takes the form of 1% back now – and 1% back later.
Cardholders automatically earn 1% cash back on all purchases, regardless of category, and an additional 1% cash back when rewards are redeemed into an eligible TD deposit account. Because of this unique structure, the card offers exceptional value to current TD Bank banking customers looking to maximize their savings.
Statement Credit Bonus
The Double Up Visa Card also comes with a very simple signup bonus: new accounts earn $150 cash back in the form of a statement credit after spending $1,000 within the first 90 days after account opening. That bonus is easily achievable, making it almost a certainty that new cardholders will receive it.
How to Redeem Rewards
Rewards with the TD Double Up Visa apply towards cash back in the form of statement credits. This method provides the 2% back the card advertises. Redeeming 20,000 points (for instance) returns a $200 statement credit according to TD Bank, giving its rewards points a cash valuation of one cent.
Accountholders can redeem their cash back reward points as either a statement credit or direct deposit into a checking or savings account held by TD Bank or another U.S.-based financial institution. However, keep in mind that depositing rewards into an external account will only earn 1% back.
Cardholders must have at least 2,500 rewards points to redeem, and points never expire as long the account remains open and in good standing.
0% Introductory APR Offer
New Double Up Visa accounts also enjoy a 0% introductory APR for 15 months on balance transfers. The initial APR offer is an excellent addition to the card, especially given the promotional period’s length. This makes the card something of a direct competitor to other similar products, including Chase’s impressive Chase Slate Edge Visa.
While the everyday APR on balance transfers (and purchases) is not exceptional, it is similar to the average APR for comparable cards. Still, if you have an existing credit card balance, 15 months is ample time to pay off (or at least make a significant dent) a hefty existing debt.
Available to Canadians Residents in the U.S.
One of TD Bank’s great features is that it is available to some non-U.S. citizens. For example, Canadian residents in the United States can apply for the Double Up Visa and have their TransUnion Canada credit score used for consideration.
While this feature is very niche, it is of considerable value for Canadians who either travel for business, have family in the U.S., or are retirees (snowbirds) that want a U.S. credit card during their time south of the Canadian border.
Other Card Features
Like other Visa credit cards, the TD Double Up also boasts the usual Visa Traditional features, including:
- Roadside Dispatch: Visa Roadside Dispatch is a pay-per-use towing and roadside assistance program. This program gives travelers peace of mind should they break down, anywhere, 24/7.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Receive coverage when you use your Visa to pay for the entire cost of car rental. This protection covers damage due to collision or theft.
- Cardholder Inquiry Service: 24/7 access to Visa customer service representatives who can provide detailed information for members in all major languages.
- Lost or Stolen Card Reporting: Visa will help you block your lost or stolen card and connect you with your bank.
- Emergency Card Replacement: Once connected with your bank, Visa will work with them to get you an emergency replacement card within one to three days. Conditions apply.
- Emergency Cash Disbursement: Visa can also work with your bank to help get your emergency cash until your new card arrives.
- Zero Liability: Cardholders pay nothing if their card is subject to unauthorized use or theft.
Should You Apply for the TD Double Up Visa Card?
The TD Double Up Visa Card is a valuable cash back card for existing TD Bank customers. Because the card earns 2% back in total on rewards pumped into an eligible TD Bank account – but only 1% back on purchases placed into an external account – the value is just for current TD customers.
That is necessarily a negative, however. TD Bank credit cards offer exceptional value for current customers – especially those who are Canadian citizens. Because the bank allows Canadians to apply for its cards, it makes the Double Up Visa a great choice if they want a card comparable to Citi Double Cash.
However, beyond those customers, the card offers great value for those looking to build up their savings account – or offset other TD Bank bills. You won’t get the chance to use your points towards travel, hotels, or merchandise, but that’s not what this card is for.
Instead, it bolsters savings and checking accounts, helps pay off mortgages and personal loans, and can improve your bottom line. If that sounds good to you, the TD Double Up Card might be your next credit card.