Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 26th, 2022
Chase Slate Edge
- Regular Purchase APR 15.24% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.24% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for the first 18 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- Lower your interest rate by 2% each year. Automatically be considered for an APR reduction when you pay on time, and spend at least $1000 on your card by your next account anniversary
- Get an automatic, one-time review for a higher credit limit when you pay on time, and spend $500 in your first six months
- Start off strong with 0% Intro APR for 18 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers. A variable APR of 15.24% - 23.99% on balance transfers and purchases after the introductory period ends
- $0 My Chase Plan® fees during the 18-month introductory period
- All for no annual fee - You won't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Slate Edge℠ card
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for the first 18 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.24% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 18 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.24% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Intro fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater, on transfers made within 60 days of account opening. After that: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Chase Slate Edge lets you make moves towards your credit goals with a host of impressive introductory bonuses. The card from Chase offers the chance at an automatic credit line increase, plus 0% intro APR for 18 months (with a variable APR after that) and automatic APR reduction when you pay on time after meeting minimum spending requirements– all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to build credit with responsible usage
- Plan to carry a balance and will make use of the two 0% intro APR offers
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Chase Slate Edge Card Review
The Chase Slate Edge is a credit builder credit card from JP Morgan Chase. The card, a no annual fee Visa Platinum, offers various credit boosting benefits, including the chance of a straightforward credit line increase after just six months and the possibility of an APR reduction every year (where applicable).
A Low Intro APR
The Slate Edge is unique among most credit builder cards in that it offers a 0% introductory APR on both purchases and balance transfers. New accounts enjoy zero interest on transfers and purchases for the first 18 months from account opening.
Lower Your Interest Rate By 2% Each Year
Once that intro APR period ends, new accounts will receive a variable APR based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate, from around 15% to 23% – a range that is extremely reasonable.
Chase ups the ante, however, by offering cardholders the chance to lower than interest rate by 2% each year. Chase will automatically consider cardholders for an APR reduction of 2% when they pay their Slate Edge statement on time every month and use their card to make at least $1,000 in purchases before their card account anniversary. This 2% reduction can occur every year until the card’s APR reached Prime Rate + 9.74%, which would place the purchase interest rate into the low APR credit card range – an excellent feature for those seeking to build credit and carry a balance at the same time.
Credit Limit Increase After Six Months
Many credit cards for fair credit scores feature the opportunity for a credit line increase with demonstrated financial responsibility. The Chase Slate Edge is no different in this regard.
Cardholders enjoy an automatic, one-time review for a higher credit limit when they pay on time and spend $500 in their first six months. This credit limit increase is more an introductory bonus than a regular feature, but it still offers exceptional value. This feature mirrors the Merrick Bank Double Your Line Card, though that Merrick offer is currently only available as a secured credit card.
Chase Slate Edge Vs. the Competition
Chase Slate EdgeVisa
0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for 18 months from account opening
Lower your interest rate by 2% each year. Automatically be considered for an APR reduction when you pay on time, and spend at least $1000 on your card by your next account anniversary
Get an automatic, one-time review for a higher credit limit when you pay on time, and spend $500 in your first six months
U.S. Bank Visa Platinum CardVisa
Get a 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers for 20 billing cycles. After that, a variable APR currently 14.49%-24.49%
Receive coverage when pay your monthly cellular bill with your U.S. Bank Visa® Platinum Card
Detects and notifies you of any unusual card activity to help prevent fraud
Citi® Diamond Preferred Credit® CardMastercard
0% Intro APR for 21 months on balance transfers from date of first transfer. After that the variable APR will be based on your creditworthiness
With Citi Entertainment, get special access to purchase tickets to thousands of events, including concerts, sporting events, dining experiences and more
Enjoy peace of mind with Identity Theft and travel protection
Other Card Features
The Chase Slate Edge features a variety of other benefits for building credit, with the most notable being a modest balance transfer offer. New accounts enjoy a balance transfer fee of 3%, with a minimum of $5 After 60 days, that fee becomes 5%, with a minimum of $5. This isn’t a great bonus – but it is nice to have.
The card also lets users monitor their credit score growth through Chase’s Credit Journey. This program offers free access to your credit score, plus real-time alerts and more.
Other notable features with the card include:
- Access to My Chase Plan: Break up card purchases into minable monthly payment plans with no added interest payment, just a fixed program fee.
- Chase Offers: Exclusive savings and offers for Chase credit cardholders.
- Visa purchase protection for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Extended warranty protection
- Visa Zero Fraud Liability coverage
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Visa Roadside Dispatch
- EMV chip and contactless payment technology
- Mobile wallet integration
JP Morgan Chase and Slate Edge Card Ratings
How does the Chase Slate Edge stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of JP Morgan Chase as a bank:
What is the Chase Slated Edge like to live with? Before deciding if the card is right for you, here’s what our readers and members think about the card:
FAQs About the Chase Slate Edge Visa
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the Chase Slate Edge, along with the answers:
Yes, the Slate Edge card does offer a roadside assistance benefit. This feature offers the following for a $69.95 roadside assistance fee:
- Standard Towing (up to 5 miles included)
- Tire Changing
- Jump Starting
- Lockout Service (no key replacement)
- Fuel Delivery (up to 5 gallons)
- Standard Winching
- Chase’s 5/24 rule means that you can’t be approved for most Chase cards if you’ve opened five or more personal credit cards (from any card issuer) within the past 24 months.
- Chase Slate Edge purchase protection covers any damage or theft of eligible purchases for up to 120 days after the purchase date.
- Chase Bank uses Experian for checking credit scores and gauging applications.
Yes. The old Chase Slate is no longer available to new applicants. The new Chase Slate Ede, however, is available to applicants.
Chase credit, debit, and banking products are available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
Should You Apply for the Chase Slate Edge Visa Card?
The Chase Slate Edge is a very tempting offer for those looking for a credit card with a great rate and credit boosting opportunities. The card provides an ideal springboard – not just for credit building but also for a long relationship with Chase Bank.
Chase provides some of the most lucrative rewards credit cards in the industry, with the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Sapphire Preferred being the most notable. But even the Chase Freedom Unlimited and Freedom Flex are excellent options that require good to excellent credit scores to receive.
The Slate Edge is the perfect entry point into this exclusive world while offering some nice perks on the journey. The introductory APR and statement credit bonuses are enticing – as is the chance at an automatic credit limit increase after six months of responsible use. That last feature is on par with other banks, such as Credit One and Merrick, but also dangles the carrot of future offers from Chase – something the other issuers cannot provide.
Overall, the Chase Slate Edge Visa is an attractive, impressive credit card. Sure, the card doesn’t offer lounge access, TSA Precheck, or the premium features like other Chase co-branded products, but that isn’t this card’s role. The role of a credit builder card isn’t sexy but essential, and the Slate Edge does its duty well.
The information related to Citi Simplicity Card and Citi Diamond Preferred Card has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.