Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on September 23rd, 2021
Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Earn 60,000 Bonus Points ($900 Value)
- Regular Purchase APR 16.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 16.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $550, each authorized user: $75 per year.
- Credit Needed Excellent
- Processing Network Visa
- 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Automatically receive up to $300 in statement credits as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- Earn 10X points on Chase Dining purchases through Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 10X points on hotel stays and car rentals purchased through Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 5X total points on air travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 3X points on Dining at Restaurants Worldwide, including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out
- Earn 3X points on Travel Worldwide, immediately after the first $300 is spent annually on travel purchases
- Earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more from your points when you redeem them for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Complimentary Priority Pass™ Select membership
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99%
- Annual Fee: $550, each authorized user: $75 per year.
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
With the Chase Sapphire Reserve® card, luxury and travel rewards come together with this upper-tier card, which offers an attractive points system and includes a lengthy list of perks for any jet setter.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often and want a card that provides worldwide value
- Eat at restaurants frequently
- Plan to use rewards for travel, which provides the best value for redemption
- Want a card with no foreign transaction fees
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Review
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is the go-to travel card when it comes to points. The reason for the card’s popularity is the extraordinary redemption value it offers – although the lounge access and travel credits don’t hurt either.
Impressive Signup Bonus
The Sapphire Reserve Card comes with a signup bonus worth $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards. That bonus equates to 60,000 Ultimate Rewards points after making $4,000 in purchases in the first three months.
The $900 bonus is one of the most lucrative introductory offers in the travel credit card space. It is due to the enhanced redemption rates that come with the Sapphire Reserve.
Earn Triple Points on Travel and Dining
One of the major selling points of the Chase Sapphire Reserve is the sheer number of points the card earns in key categories. Cardholders earn 3X points on travel and dining. Those points are earnable at any restaurant worldwide.
Even better, dining, plus hotel stays and car rentals booked through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal earn an impressive 10X points per dollar spent. Cardholders also enjoy 5x total points on air travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards. Keep in mind that all these huge point categories require booking through Ultimate Rewards – still, with that potential earning rate, it’s a tough offer to pass up.
Every other purchase with the card receives a single point, with no limit to the number of points a cardholder can amass.
As with any credit card, however, there are limitations to some points categories. The 3X travel rewards, for instance, only apply after the first $300 in spending in that category each year. This is because the card also comes with a $300 travel credit each year. Of course, this isn’t a drawback, as it is a free $300 for travel, but it does bear keeping in mind.
How to Redeem Points with the Sapphire Reserve
The ability to earn points with the Reserve is excellent. The real strength with the Reserve, however, lies in the value of the points themselves. Chase Ultimate Rewards is one of the best rewards programs out there. Part of this is because Chase points are worth two cents per point ($0.02/pt.), which is among the highest valuations. The other reason is because of the ways to redeem points.
Chase Ultimate Rewards is the rewards portal for Chase credit cardholders. The portal allows cardholders to redeem points for a variety of awards, including:
- Statement credits
- Gift cards with over 150 partners
- Charitable donations
- Transfers with partners
50% Additional Redemption Value with the Sapphire Reserve
Reserve Cardholders get 50% more redemption value through the Ultimate Rewards program. This extra value makes redemptions for things like travel or points transfers with partners even more lucrative. While Sapphire Preferred Cardholders get a 25% increase in points value, the Reserve’s 50% additional redemption value means the Reserve earns 4.5X points on travel and dining worldwide.
Chase Transfer Partners
As mentioned, Chase also allows 1:1 point transfers to specific partners. These transfer partners provide exceptional versatility to the Ultimate Rewards program. The following airline and hotel loyalty programs offer 1:1 point transfers with Chase:
- Aer Lingus
- Air France/ KLM
- British Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- IHG Rewards
- Marriott Bonvoy
- World of Hyatt
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is less of a luxury credit card than the Platinum Card from American Express. That doesn’t mean, however, that the Reserve lacks those perks. It comes with Priority Pass Select membership, for example, which allows cardholders to visit over 1,200 airport lounges – including the new Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club.
Cardholders also receive a couple of excellent statement credits. First, the $300 annual travel credit previously mentioned. That credit applies for reimbursement of the first $300 in travel purchases each year. The other credit is a once-every-four-years credit towards the application fee for TSA Precheck or Global Entry. These services provide expedited security when flying, as well as fast-track customs checks at airports throughout the U.S.
Other perks include access to Visa Infinite’s Luxury Hotel Collection and 24/7 access to Visa Infinite’s customer service hotline.
Chase Sapphire Reserve, Platinum Card from American Express, and Citi Prestige Card: Head-to-Head:
Sapphire ReserveVisa Infinite
- 3X points on groceries & global dining
- 3X points on travel
- $300 travel credit
- 50% more points value through Ultimate Rewards
- Priority Pass Select
- Peloton, Lyft, and DoorDash statement credits
The Platinum CardAmerican Express
- 5X points on flights booked directly with airlines
- 5X points on prepaid hotels through Amex
- $200 airline and Uber credits
- Gold status in Marriott and Hilton loyalty programs
- American Express Global Lounge Collection
Citi PrestigeWorld Elite Mastercard
- 5X points on airfare and dining
- 3X points on hotels and cruises
- $250 travel credit
- Fourth Night Hotel Stay through ThankYou.com
- Priority Pass Select
Other Card Features
Other features with the Sapphire Reserve include 10X points on Lyft purchases through March 2022. In addition to 10X points, cardholders also enjoy complimentary Lyft Pink membership – a value of $199 per year.
Other Chase credit cards enjoy Doordash perks, and the Sapphire Reserve is no different. The card comes with complimentary DashPass membership. This perk provides free delivery on orders of $12 or more. Cardholders also receive $60 in DoorDash statement credits through December 2021.
Should You Apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Credit Card?
Travel credit cards don’t get much more comprehensive than the Chase Sapphire Reserve®. Up to 10X points on travel make it a great frequent-use option; conversely, annual incentives like credits for travel-related charges and enrollment in Global Entry or TSA Precheck ensure that you’re continually getting value for the hefty $550 annual fee. Also, the Sapphire Reserve card gives you two very appealing options for redeeming your points.
Through Chase’s proprietary Ultimate Rewards program, points are worth an extra 50% when redeemed for travel. In other words, 60,000 points are worth $900 rather than $500 through Chase Ultimate Rewards. If you prefer to cash out your points through one of Chase’s partnered loyalty programs, however, you can do so at a 1:1 rate, so 60,000 points earned through Chase will be worth 50,000 points through the airline or hotel program of your choice.
Other enticing features of the Chase Sapphire Reserve include complimentary Priority Pass Select enrollment, giving you access to over 1,200 VIP airport lounges worldwide, trip cancellation insurance, and auto rental collision damage protection; and lost luggage and trip delay reimbursement. While it’s always preferable to avoid inconveniences when on holiday, the Chase Sapphire Reserve might be your best friend if misfortune strikes.