Chase Sapphire Reserve®
Earn 50,000 Bonus Points ($750 Value)
- Regular Purchase APR 16.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 16.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $550; $75 per authorized user
- Credit Needed Excellent
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 3X points per dollar spent on dining and travel purchases worldwide. Earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Get a $300 annual travel credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card
- Complimentary Priority Pass™ Select membership
- Get 50% more from your points when you redeem them for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $550; $75 per authorized user
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ – Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 – See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 – Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 – See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 – Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 – See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry – Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 – See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels – Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 – See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in Brooklyn – Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 – See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in New York – Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 – See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in West Hollywood – Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 – See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- View All Deals –
At a Glance
With the Chase Sapphire Reserve® card, luxury and travel rewards come together with this upper-tier card, which offers an attractive points system and includes a lengthy list of perks for any jet setter.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often and want a card that provides worldwide value
- Eat at restaurants frequently
- Plan to use rewards for travel, which provides the best value for redemption
- Want a card with no foreign transaction fees
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Review
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® is the go-to travel card when it comes to points. The reason for the card’s popularity is the extraordinary redemption value it offers – although the lounge access and travel credits don’t hurt either.
Impressive Signup Bonus
The Sapphire Reserve Card comes with a signup bonus worth $750. That bonus equates to 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points after making $4,000 in purchases in the first three months. The $750 bonus is one of the most lucrative introductory offers in the travel credit card space. It is due to the enhanced redemption rates that come with the Sapphire Reserve.
Earn Triple Points on Travel and Dining
One of the major selling points of the Chase Sapphire Reserve is the sheer number of points the card earns in key categories. Cardholders earn 3X points on travel and dining. Even better, those points are earnable at any restaurant worldwide. Every other purchase with the card receives a single point, with no limit to the number of points a cardholder can amass.
As with any credit card, however, there are limitations to some points categories. The 3X travel rewards, for instance, only apply after the first $300 in spending in that category each year. This is because the card also comes with a $300 travel credit each year. Of course, this isn’t a drawback, as it is a free $300 for travel, but it does bear keeping in mind.
How to Redeem Points with the Sapphire Reserve
The ability to earn points with the Reserve is excellent. The real strength with the Reserve, however, lies in the value of the points themselves. Chase Ultimate Rewards is one of the best rewards programs out there. Part of this is because Chase points are worth two cents per point ($0.02/pt.), which is among the highest valuations. The other reason is because of the ways to redeem points.
Chase Ultimate Rewards is the rewards portal for Chase credit cardholders. The portal allows cardholders to redeem points for a variety of awards, including:
- Statement credits
- Gift cards with over 150 partners
- Charitable donations
- Transfers with partners
50% Additional Redemption Value with the Sapphire Reserve
Reserve Cardholders get 50% more redemption value through the Ultimate Rewards program. This extra value makes redemptions for things like travel or points transfers with partners even more lucrative. While Sapphire Preferred Cardholders get a 25% increase in points value, the Reserve’s 50% additional redemption value means the Reserve earns 4.5X points on travel and dining worldwide.
Chase Transfer Partners
As mentioned, Chase also allows 1:1 point transfers to specific partners. These transfer partners provide exceptional versatility to the Ultimate Rewards program. The following airline and hotel loyalty programs offer 1:1 point transfers with Chase:
- Aer Lingus
- Air France/ KLM
- British Airways
- Singapore Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- United Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- IHG Rewards
- Marriott Bonvoy
- World of Hyatt
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is less of a luxury credit card than the Platinum Card from American Express. That doesn’t mean, however, that the Reserve lacks those perks. It comes with Priority Pass Select membership, for example, which allows cardholders to visit over 1,200 airport lounges.
Cardholders also receive a couple of excellent statement credits. First, the $300 annual travel credit previously mentioned. That credit applies for reimbursement of the first $300 in travel purchases each year. The other credit is a once-every-four-years credit towards the application fee for TSA Precheck or Global Entry. These services provide expedited security when flying, as well as fast-track customs checks at airports throughout the U.S.
Other perks include access to Visa Infinite’s Luxury Hotel Collection and 24/7 access to Visa Infinite’s customer service hotline.
Other Card Features
Other features with the Sapphire Reserve include 10X points on Lyft purchases through March 2022. In addition to 10X points, cardholders also enjoy complimentary Lyft Pink membership – a value of $199 per year.
Other Chase credit cards enjoy Doordash perks, and the Sapphire Reserve is no different. The card comes with complimentary DashPass membership. This perk provides free delivery n orders of $12 or more. Cardholders also receive $120 in DoorDash statement credits – $60 through December 2020 and $60 through December 2021.
Should You Apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Credit Card?
Travel credit cards don’t get much more comprehensive than the Chase Sapphire Reserve®. Triple points on travel make it a great frequent-use option; conversely, annual incentives like credits for travel-related charges and enrollment in Global Entry or TSA Precheck ensure that you’re continually getting value for the hefty $550 annual fee. Also, the Sapphire Reserve card gives you two very appealing options for redeeming your points.
Through Chase’s proprietary Ultimate Rewards program, points are worth an extra 50% when redeemed for travel. In other words, 50,000 points are worth $750 rather than $500 through Chase Ultimate Rewards. If you prefer to cash out your points through one of Chase’s partnered loyalty programs, however, you can do so at a 1:1 rate, so 50,000 points earned through Chase will be worth 50,000 points through the airline or hotel program of your choice.
Other enticing features of the Chase Sapphire Reserve include complimentary Priority Pass Select enrollment, giving you access to over 1,200 VIP airport lounges worldwide, trip cancellation insurance, and auto rental collision damage protection; and lost luggage and trip delay reimbursement. While it’s always preferable to avoid inconveniences when on holiday, the Chase Sapphire Reserve might be your best friend if misfortune strikes.