Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on July 12th, 2022
Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card
- Regular Purchase APR 18.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 18.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 27.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $69
- Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- New Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- 3,000 anniversary points each year
- Earn 2X points on Southwest® purchases
- Earn 2X points on local transit and commuting, including rideshare
- Earn 2X points on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming
- 2 EarlyBird Check-In® each year
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- All points earned count towards Companion Pass®
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 18.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 27.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 of 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $69
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card is a reliable airline rewards credit card for those who like to fly and prefer Southwest Airlines when they travel. The card earns 2X points on Southwest Airlines purchases and 1X points on all other purchases. New accounts also earn 50,000 points after meeting minimum spend requirements in the first year. The card has an annual fee of $69, which is mostly offset by the cardmember anniversary bonus of 3,000 miles given after each year of membership.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Fly often and prefer to fly with Southwest
- Plan to use their card in conjunction with other Southwest programs to earn maximum points
- Have a large purchase planned that will allow them to spend at least $1,000 on the card within the first 90 days
- Plan to use the card primarily for purchases within the United States
Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Review
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card from Chase Bank is a versatile airline rewards credit card that caters to those who prefer to fly with low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines.
A Head-Turning Welcome Bonus
New Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus cardmembers can enjoy a quality welcome bonus for a limited time. New Southwest Rapid Rewards Consumer Cardmembers will earn 50,000 Rapid Rewards points that don’t expire (a Rapid Rewards benefit) —after they spend $1,000 on qualifying purchases in the first three months from the account opening.
How to Earn Points
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Card earns double points on all Southwest purchases, which allows cardholders to receive two points for every dollar they spend on net purchases.
The Plus Card also earns 2X points for every dollar on a range of purchases, including:
- Local transit and commuting, including rideshares
- Internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming
Every other dollar spent with the card earns a single point. There is no limit to the total number of points earnable.
Best Ways to Maximize Rapid Rewards Points
While the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Card comes with a hefty sign-up bonus, there are plenty of other ways to quickly build up Rapid Rewards points in addition to sign-up bonuses and purchasing flights.
Earn Points Dining Out
Joining the Rapid Rewards Dining program allows Rapid Rewards members to earn points when they eat out. Additionally, new members receive impressive bonuses, including an additional 1,000 points after they dine out three times, an extra 500 points after earning their first 1,500 points through dining, and a thank you bonus of 300 points after every 1,000 points they earn through the dining program.
Earn Points by Shopping
Rapid Rewards members can also earn points quickly by making purchases through the Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal. There are tens of thousands of deals available, with the opportunity to earn over 5,000 points for merely purchasing eligible items. Using the Rapid Rewards Plus Card can even increase the points earned, making it an excellent resource for quickly amassing rewards points.
How to Redeem Points
The Southwest Rapid Rewards program offers numerous ways to redeem points. The easiest way to redeem points is for flights with Southwest Airlines, or through Southwest codeshare partners, including Icelandic carrier, Icelandair.
Points are also applicable towards hotel stays with over 70,000 properties around the world; car rentals with partners such as Avis, Budget, Hertz, National, and more; or for merchandise or gift cards in the Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal.
While there are many options for points redemption, the best value for money is still through booking flights with Southwest. Southwest has a significant reach throughout much of North America, as well as the Caribbean and Central America. The airline has routes to over 101 destinations across the United States and Canada, as well as routes to several other international destinations, including:
- Mexico: Cancun and Puerto Vallarta
- Costa Rica: Liberia and San Jose
- Belize: Belize City
- Cuba: Havana
- Aruba: Oranjestadt
- Bahamas: Nassau and Bridgetown
- Cayman Islands: Georgetown
- Dominican Republic: Punta Cana
- Jamaica: Montego Bay
- Turks & Caicos: Providenciales
Southwest Rapid Rewards consumer Credit Card Comparison
Not sure which Rapid Rewards credit card from Chase is right for your personal needs? Here is a quick breakdown of all the personal consumer credit cards from Southwest Airlines and JP Morgan Chase:
|Rapid Rewards® Plus||Rapid Rewards® Premier||Rapid Rewards® Priority|
|Earn 2X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases||Earn 3X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases||Earn 3X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases|
|2 EarlyBird Check-In per year.||1,500 tier qualifying points towards A-List status for every $10,000 spent||4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available|
|No annual fee||$99 annual fee||$149 annual fee|
Southwest Travel Perks
The Plus Card also comes with several other nice Southwest Airlines-centric perks. These benefits include the airline’s Transfarency, meaning cardholders don’t have to worry about paying any hidden fees or change fees. Also, customers can check their first and second bags free of charge with Southwest’s bags fly free service.
The card comes with an annual fee of $69, which, while not great, isn’t a deal-breaker. After all, cardholders recoup much of this cost through the annual bonus of 3,000 points. What isn’t recouped, however, is the foreign transaction fee, which, at 3% of the cost of foreign transactions in U.S. dollars, is a letdown with this card.
Like other Southwest Rapid Rewards credit cards from Chase, the Rapid Rewards Plus Card offers an impressive selection of Southwest-centric travel features. These Rapid Rewards perks include:
- Anniversary Points Bonus: Cardholders earn three thousand points every year on their Cardmember anniversary.
- Bags Fly Free: First and second checked bags fly free with Southwest. Weight and size limits apply.
- 2 EarlyBird Check-In® Vouchers Each Year: EarlyBird Check-In® is a low-cost option giving travelers the convenience of automatic check-in before Southwest’s traditional 24-hour check-in.
- 25% Back on In-Flight Purchases: Get 25% back on inflight purchases with Southwest when using the card.
- No change fees on reservations
- Unlimited reward seats
FAQs About Southwest Rapid Rewards
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding Southwest’s Rapid Rewards loyalty program:
- Yes. According to Southwest, you can request past flight points for up to 12 months after your flight. To claim points for a past flight, simply log into your account, select My Account and choose the Manage tab within My Rapid Rewards. Choose Request past points in the grey bar and enter your record locator (confirmation number) from your reservation. After verification of your flight information (up to 5 days), points will be deposited into your account.
- Rapid Rewards Dining is a rewards program within the Rapid Rewards program. This features lets members earn points from dining with select Southwest restaurant partners.
Related Article: Dining Programs: How to Earn Airline Miles with Any Credit Card
Chase credit, debit, and banking products are available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
JP Morgan Chase and Southwest Visa Card Ratings
How does the Chase Southwest Visa stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of JP Morgan Chase as a bank:
Should You Apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Card from Chase?
Overall, the Rapid Rewards Plus Card from Chase Bank is a decent co-branded airline card that pays its way in bonuses. The $69 annual fee is easily offset by the 3,000 bonus points received each cardmember anniversary, which has a cash value of approximately $45. The addition of a hefty sign-up bonus of 30,000 points – worth $300 – after making just $1,000 in purchases is another bonus, as is the option of earning more points through Southwest’s various portals.
While double points on Southwest purchases and single points for all other purchases aren’t a major head-turner, they are respectable. Equally respectable are the airline-centric perks, including no hidden fees and two free checked bags on Southwest flights.
The presence of a foreign transaction fee is frustrating – especially given that there are plenty of other comparably priced airline cards that come with no foreign transaction fees. Fortunately, Southwest is mostly aimed at U.S.-based customers, meaning for the majority this card is a versatile travel tool that can quickly earn points towards free flights.