| Last updated on October 17th, 2023
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
- 21.49% to 28.49% Variable Regular Purchase APR
- 21.49% to 28.49% Variable Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% Variable Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card is a reliable airline rewards credit card for those who like to fly and prefer Southwest Airlines when they travel. The card earns 2X points on Southwest Airlines purchases and 1X points on all other purchases. The card has an annual fee of $69, which is mostly offset by the cardmember anniversary bonus of 3,000 miles given after each year of membership.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 3,000 anniversary points each year.
- Earn 2X points on Southwest® purchases.
- Earn 2X points on local transit and commuting, including rideshare.
- Earn 2X points on internet, cable, and phone services; select streaming.
- 2 EarlyBird Check-In® each year.
- Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Member FDIC
- Regular Purchase APR: 21.49% to 28.49% Variable
- Balance Transfer APR: 21.49% to 28.49% Variable
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% Variable
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 of 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% Variable
- Annual Fee: $69
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- You fly often and prefer to fly with Southwest
- You plan to use your card in conjunction with other Southwest programs to earn maximum points
- You have a large purchase planned that will allow you to reach the spending requirement on the card within the first 90 days to qualify for a signup bonus
- You plan to use the card primarily for purchases within the United States
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit CardTerms & Conditions
In-Depth Review: Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card from Chase Bank is a versatile airline rewards credit card that caters to those who prefer to fly with low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines.
A Head-Turning Welcome Bonus
New Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus cardmembers can enjoy a quality welcome bonus of 50,000 points after spending $1,000 on the card within 90 days of opening an account. That welcome bonus has a cash value of around $500 when booking an award flight with Southwest, making it an impressive welcome offer on its own.
How to Earn Points
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Card earns double points on all Southwest purchases, which allows cardholders to receive two points for every dollar they spend on net purchases. The Plus Card also earns 2X points for every dollar on a range of purchases, including local transit and commuting, including rideshares. Every other dollar spent with the card earns a single point. There is no limit to the total number of points earnable.
Best Ways to Maximize Rapid Rewards Points
While the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Card comes with a hefty sign-up bonus, there are plenty of other ways to quickly build up Rapid Rewards points in addition to sign-up bonuses and purchasing flights, including transactions with the following Southwest Rapid Rewards partners:
|Other||Rapid Rewards points are also earnable when making purchases through the dedicated Southwest Rapid Rewards shopping portal, where members earn points for making purchases with hundreds of leading brands.|
|Registering with Southwest lets Rapid Rewards members earn one point for every dollar spent when filling up their tank at Marathon gas stations.|
|Experiences booked with Southwest Experiences also earn Rapid Rewards points.|
Earn Points Dining Out
Joining the Rapid Rewards Dining program allows Rapid Rewards members to earn points when they eat out. Additionally, new members receive impressive bonuses, including an additional 1,000 points after they dine out three times, an extra 500 points after earning their first 1,500 points through dining, and a thank you bonus of 300 points after every 1,000 points they earn through the dining program.
How to Redeem Points
Southwest Airlines prides itself on its straightforward approach to air travel – and the Rapid Rewards frequent flyer program is no different. Southwest Rapid Rewards points are redeemable for award flights with Southwest, with four distinct tiers: Wanna Get Away, Wanna Get Away Plus, Anytime, and Business Select.
Southwest teams with hotel, car rental, and other partners to help members maximize their value for money. Other options for redeeming points include making bookings with Southwest partners. Other redemption options include gift cards, merchandise, event access, or statement credits to the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card account.
Related Article: The Ultimate Southwest Rapid Rewards Program Guide
Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card Comparison
Not sure which Rapid Rewards credit card from Chase is right for your personal needs? Here is a quick breakdown of all the personal consumer credit cards from Southwest Airlines and Chase:
Rapid Rewards® Plus
Rapid Rewards® Premier
Rapid Rewards® Priority
|Rewards rate||Earn 2X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases||Earn 3X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases||Earn 3X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases|
|Best perk||2 EarlyBird Check-In per year.||1,500 tier qualifying points towards A-List status for every $10,000 spent||4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available|
Southwest Travel Perks
The Plus Card also comes with several other nice Southwest Airlines-centric perks. These benefits include the airline’s Transfarency, meaning cardholders don’t have to worry about paying any hidden fees or change fees. Also, customers can check their first and second bags free of charge with Southwest’s bags fly free service.
The card comes with an annual fee of $69, which, while not great, isn’t a deal-breaker. After all, cardholders recoup much of this cost through the annual bonus of 3,000 points. What isn’t recouped, however, is the foreign transaction fee, which, at 3% of the cost of foreign transactions in U.S. dollars, is a letdown with this card.
Like other Southwest Rapid Rewards credit cards from Chase, the Rapid Rewards Plus Card offers an impressive selection of Southwest-centric travel features. These Rapid Rewards perks include:
- Anniversary Points Bonus: Cardholders earn three thousand points every year on their Cardmember anniversary.
- Bags Fly Free: First and second checked bags fly free with Southwest. Weight and size limits apply.
- 2 EarlyBird Check-In® Vouchers Each Year: EarlyBird Check-In® is a low-cost option giving travelers the convenience of automatic check-in before Southwest’s traditional 24-hour check-in.
- 25% Back on In-Flight Purchases: Get 25% back on inflight purchases with Southwest when using the card.
- No change fees on reservations
- Unlimited reward seats
FAQs About Southwest Rapid Rewards
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding Southwest’s Rapid Rewards loyalty program:
- Yes. According to Southwest, you can request past flight points for up to 12 months after your flight. To claim points for a past flight, simply log into your account, select My Account and choose the Manage tab within My Rapid Rewards. Choose Request past points in the grey bar and enter your record locator (confirmation number) from your reservation. After verification of your flight information (up to 5 days), points will be deposited into your account.
- Rapid Rewards Dining is a rewards program within the Rapid Rewards program. This features lets members earn points from dining with select Southwest restaurant partners.
Related Article: Dining Programs: How to Earn Airline Miles with Any Credit Card
Should You Apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Card from Chase?
Overall, the Rapid Rewards Plus Card from Chase Bank is a decent co-branded airline card that pays its way in bonuses. The $69 annual fee is easily offset by the 3,000 bonus points received each cardmember anniversary, which has a cash value of approximately $45. The addition of the appealing sign-up bonus is another plus, as is the option of earning more points through Southwest’s various portals.
While double points on Southwest purchases and single points for all other purchases aren’t a major head-turner, they are respectable. Equally respectable are the airline-centric perks, including no hidden fees and two free checked bags on Southwest flights.
The presence of a foreign transaction fee is frustrating – especially given that there are plenty of other comparably priced airline cards that come with no foreign transaction fees. Fortunately, Southwest is mostly aimed at U.S.-based customers, meaning for the majority this card is a versatile travel tool that can quickly earn points towards free flights.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.