Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on July 12th, 2022
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
- Regular Purchase APR 18.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 18.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 27.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $99
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- New Offer: Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- 6,000 anniversary points each year
- Earn 3X points on Southwest® purchases
- Earn 2X points on local transit and commuting, including rideshare
- Earn 2X points on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming
- 2 EarlyBird Check-In® each year
- All points earned count towards Companion Pass®
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 18.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 27.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $99
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
Frequent Southwest Airlines flyers will love the rewards they can redeem when using the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier, which grants yearly points just from being a cardmember.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often, especially with Southwest Airlines®
- Make frequent in-flight purchases
- Want the flexibility of redeeming points for flights, hotel stays, car rentals, and more
- Regularly check bags when flying
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card Review
A step above the Rapid Rewards® Plus, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card offers essentially the same lineup of incentives.
Earn 50,000 Bonus Rapid Rewards Points
New Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier cardmembers can enjoy a quality welcome bonus for a limited time. New Southwest Rapid Rewards Consumer Cardmembers will earn 50,000 Rapid Rewards points that don’t expire (a Rapid Rewards benefit) —after they spend $1,000 on qualifying purchases in the first three months from the account opening.
How to Earn Rewards
Additionally, cardholders earn 3X Rapid Rewards points for every dollar spent on Southwest Airlines purchases. This includes checked baggage, in-flight purchases, snacks and drinks, and more.
Even if your expenses are not exclusively with Southwest – through which you’ll earn double (2X) points from things like Rapid Rewards hotel and car partners – you’ll still be rewarded with 2X for every dollar on a range of purchases, including:
- Local transit and commuting, including rideshares
- Internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming
All other purchases with the card earn 1X points per dollar spent.
6,000-Point Anniversary Bonus
Where the Premier differs from the Plus and the Priority cards is in the anniversary bonus. Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier cardholders receive a 6,000-point anniversary bonus on their cardmember anniversary each year. The Priority earns 7,500 points each year.
How to Redeem Rewards
When you begin to cash in on the rewards you’ve earned with your Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Card, you’ll notice that you can turn your Rapid Rewards points into just about anything; flexible rewards redemption is a big draw with this program.
- Travel: Once you’ve earned rewards for that dream trip you’ve been planning, you’re ready to redeem them. Points earned with the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Card can be redeemed to book or upgrade travel on Southwest. Rewards can be used to save on flights, seat upgrades, and more (including Companion Passes!). Log into your Rapid Rewards account on the Southwest® homepage, select a flight, and pay with points; the sky is the limit!
- Hotels: With the Southwest Rapid Rewards® program, cardholders are eligible to book hotel stays with points earned from their Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Card at over 70,000 hotels across the globe.
- Car Rentals: Renting a car often makes travel easier, as you’re able to move at your own pace, make pitstops at your leisure, and take your time enjoying your destination. Points earned with the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Card can be used towards hiring a car rental from several different rental companies.
- Retail: Points can be redeemed with hundreds of retail partners for products, services, and even gift cards. Shop retail options, from golf balls and electronics to home goods; or, find the right gift card from brands like Amazon, iTunes, Lowes, and more to treat yourself or a friend – simply use your points to purchase!
- Buy, Gift, or Transfer: Cardholders can use their Rapid Rewards®points for a variety of purchases; they also have the option to gift points or transfer their points to whoever they’d like, even if they are not a cardholder. All the recipient must do is enroll in the Rapid Rewards program if they have not already. Points can even be donated to pre-selected charities; Southwest has chosen several charities that can accept points as a donation.
Other Travel Features
Other features of the card include no charge when checking your first two bags, no blackout dates on reward flights or seats when it comes to redeeming, no foreign transaction fees, and Visa travel protections and benefits.
Southwest Rapid Rewards consumer Credit Card Comparison
Not sure which Rapid Rewards credit card from Chase is right for your personal needs? Here is a quick breakdown of all the personal consumer credit cards from Southwest Airlines and JP Morgan Chase:
|Rapid Rewards® Plus||Rapid Rewards® Premier||Rapid Rewards® Priority|
|Earn 2X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases||Earn 3X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases||Earn 3X pts. on Southwest purchases, 2X pts. on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming, and 1X on all other purchases|
|2 EarlyBird Check-In per year.||1,500 tier qualifying points towards A-List status for every $10,000 spent||4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available|
|No annual fee||$99 annual fee||$149 annual fee|
FAQs About Southwest Rapid Rewards
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding Southwest’s Rapid Rewards loyalty program:
- Yes. According to Southwest, you can request past flight points for up to 12 months after your flight. To claim points for a past flight, simply log into your account, select My Account and choose the Manage tab within My Rapid Rewards. Choose Request past points in the grey bar and enter your record locator (confirmation number) from your reservation. After verification of your flight information (up to 5 days), points will be deposited into your account.
- Rapid Rewards Dining is a rewards program within the Rapid Rewards program. This features lets members earn points from dining with select Southwest restaurant partners.
Related Article: Dining Programs: How to Earn Airline Miles with Any Credit Card
Chase credit, debit, and banking products are available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
JP Morgan Chase and Southwest Visa Card Ratings
How does the Chase Southwest Visa stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of JP Morgan Chase as a bank:
Should You Apply for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card?
Overall, a great package of perks for those who find themselves frequently booking with Southwest Airlines. There are three major differences between the Rapid Rewards® Plus and the Rapid Rewards® Premier: The annual fee, cardmember anniversary bonus points, and foreign transaction fee. If you opt for the Rapid Rewards® Premier, you’ll have a $99 annual fee – $30 more than the Rapid Rewards® Plus’ $69 fee – applied to your first billing statement. However, being a Rapid Rewards® Premier cardmember nets you 6,000 bonus points each account anniversary – double the amount you’ll earn with the Rapid Rewards® Plus.
Finally, the Southwest Rapid Rewards® shines above the Plus in that you can freely use it abroad without the worry of foreign transaction fees. Even if you only fly internationally on occasion, you could potentially save a considerable amount on surcharges if you happen to make a sizable purchase.