Last updated on September 7th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card
Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card
- 21.24% to 28.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 21.24% to 28.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
For loyalists of Aer Lingus, the Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card will earn up to 100,000 Avios points, a complimentary Companion ticket, as well as priority boarding on every flight.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 75,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, and LEVEL
- Earn 2 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel. Plus earn 1 Avios per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Every calendar year you make purchases of $30,000 on your Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card, you'll receive a Commercial Companion Ticket good for 12 months
- You and any authorized users on your account are eligible for Priority Boarding on Aer Lingus flights departing from and returning to the US from Ireland, subject to availability
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad
- Simply tap to pay with your contactless Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card. Just look for the contactless symbol at checkout. It's fast, easy and secure!
- Member FDIC
- Regular Purchase APR: 21.24% to 28.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 21.24% to 28.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $95
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You travel often
- You frequently book flights with Oneworld airlines such as Aer Lingus, British Airways, or Iberia Airlines
- You're looking for an airline credit card that will reward you for all types of purchases – from booking flights to shopping for groceries
- You want a card that you can use abroad without being charged foreign transaction fees
- You're a member of Aer Lingus’ AerClub and want a faster way to rise through the program’s membership tiers
Iberia Visa Signature® Review
European travelers will get maximum bang for their buck thanks to the Aer Lingus Visa Signature from Chase. The card, which earns an impressive haul of Avios with every purchase also features a juicy sign-up bonus, excellent statement credits, and in-flight savings – for a $95 annual fee.
75,000-Avios Welcome Offer
New accounts with the Aer Lingus Visa earn 75,000 Avios after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening. This welcome bonus provides around $750 in value for travelers when redeeming towards award flights with Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, or any other Avios or Oneworld alliance carrier.
Earn Up to 3X Avios on Travel
The Aer Lingus credit card earns the same rewards as Chase’s other Avios credit cards. You’ll earn 3X Avios per dollar on all eligible British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL purchases. You’ll also earn enhanced Avios on hotels, namely 2X Avios on hotel accommodations booked directly with the hotel, and 1X Avios on all other purchases.
How to Redeem Avios
Avios expires after 36 months of account inactivity, so make sure you always earn (and spend) Avios so you don’t lose out. You can redeem points for flight awards, seat upgrades, and airport lounge access. Rewards also apply to hotel bookings, car hires, and even activities and experiences at your final destination. Cardholders can also use Avios to book award flights with any other Avios or Oneworld airline alliance member carrier:
|American Airlines||Cathay Pacific||Malaysia Airlines||Qatar Airways|
|Alaska Airlines||Finnair||Qantas||Japan Airlines|
|British Airways||Iberia||Royal Air Moroc||Royal Jordanian|
|Sri Lankan Airlines||Fiji Airways||Oman Air|
Related Article: The Ultimate Avios Program Guide
FAQs About Avios
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the Avios frequent flyer program, along with the answers:
- Yes. Avios expire after 36 months of inactivity on the account. That said, Avios are easy to keep active – especially with a British Airways credit cards – simply use the card to make a purchase and you are all set for 36 months!
- No. Avios can only be used by the accountholder.
- You can contact Avios at 0344 49 333 49 in the UK and 1 (855) 585-8264 in the United States.
Airline Credit Card Comparison
How do the Avios credit cards from Chase compare with other competitors?
Avios Credit Cards
Delta SkyMiles® Gold
AAdvantage® Platinum Select®
|Network||Visa Signature||American Express||World Elite Mastercard|
|Annual fee||$95||$99 annual fee ($0 year one)||$99 annual fee ($0 year one)|
|Rewards||Earn 3X Avios with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL; 2X Avios on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel, 1X on all else.||Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at U.S. Supermarkets and at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S.; 1X on all other purchases.||Earn 2X Miles at gas stations and restaurants, and on eligible American Airlines purchases, 1X on all other purchases.|
|Perks||Up to $600 in credits; earn a Travel Together Ticket after spending $30K/year, no foreign transaction fees.||20% inflight savings, 1st checked bag free, $100 Delta Flight Credit after spending $10K/year, no foreign transaction fees.||25% inflight savings, 1st checked bag free, preferred boarding, no foreign transaction fees.|
Aer Lingus Perks
Cardholders earn up to $600 in statement credits per year. These credits are either $100 for Economy and Premium Economy – or $200 for Business and First-Class seats – three times per year. This bonus requires using the Aer Lingus Visa Signature Card to pay taxes, fees, and carrier. Surcharges.
Cardholders also earn a Travel Together Ticket every calendar year when they make $30,000 on Iberia credit card purchases. These impressive tickets are valid for two years when redeeming Avios for a flight on Iberia for a companion traveling on the same flight. This benefit is also redeemable for a 50% discount on the Avios price when booking a solo reward flight.
Other Card Features
Other features of the Aer Lingus credit card include:
- No foreign transaction fees
- EMV chip technology and mobile wallet compatibility with Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay
- My Chase Plan access
Cardholders also enjoy partner benefits from Chase and Visa. First, Chase provides access to a one-year complimentary DashPass, a membership for DoorDash and Caviar. On the other hand, Visa provides comprehensive protections and benefits designed to keep you safe. These features include:
|Zero Fraud Liability||Cardholder Inquiry Services||Emergency Card Replacement||Luxury Hotel Collection||Extended Warranty Coverage|
|Roadside Dispatch||Lost/Stolen Card Reporting||ID Navigator from Norton||Travel & Emergency Assistance|
How does Chase rate as a credit card issuer? Here is a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of JP Morgan Chase as a bank:
Should You Apply for the Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card?
The Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is very noteworthy for the impressive initial Avios offer it features. New cardholders can earn up to 100,000 Avios when they reach spending requirements in their first three months of membership. The overall Avios-earning potential of the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is potentially fairly strong, with 3X Avios for ticket purchases with Aer Lingus, Iberia, or British Airways, 2X on hotels booked directly with the hotel brand, and 1X Avios for all other purchases. Once again, however, this spending is ideally suited for the constant traveler, and not for those looking to earn great rewards for their everyday spending habits.