Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 10th, 2021
Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card
Earn Up to 100,000 Bonus Avios
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $95
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 100,000 Bonus Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 5 Avios for every $1 spent on flight purchases with Iberia, British Airways, and Aer Lingus within the first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 3 Avios.
- Earn 3 Avios for every $1 spent on hotel accommodations booked directly with the hotel within the first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 2 Avios.
- Earn 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Commercial Airline Companion Ticket each year you make purchases of $30,000
- Priority Boarding for you and any authorized users
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $95
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
At a Glance
For loyalists of Aer Lingus, the Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card will earn up to 100,000 Avios points, a complimentary Companion ticket, as well as priority boarding on every flight.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often
- Frequently book flights with Oneworld airlines such as Aer Lingus, British Airways, or Iberia Airlines
- Are looking for an airline credit card that will reward you for all types of purchases – from booking flights to shopping for groceries
- Want a card that you can use abroad without being charged foreign transaction fees
- Are a member of Aer Lingus’ AerClub and want a faster way to rise through the program’s membership tiers
Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card Review
Like the other co-branded airline cards that share the Avios Travel Rewards currency, the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card gives you Avios with every purchase. Money spent directly with Aer Lingus nets the most Avios at a rate of 3X per $1. That earning rate is accelerated for the first 12 months, however. New accounts earn 5X Avios for every $1 spent on flight purchases with Iberia, British Airways, and Aer Lingus within the first 12 months from account opening.
Cardholders also earn 3X Avios for every $1 spent on hotel accommodations booked directly with the hotel within the first 12 months from account opening, with the rate dropping to 2X Avios after that. Anything else you pay for with this card earns 1XAvios point per $1.
Companion Ticket Offer
Aer Lingus Cardholders can also earn a Commercial Airline Companion Ticket each year they make at least $30,000 in purchases with their card. Companion tickets are good for 12 months and offer an award ticket for economy travel on booked Aer Lingus flights.
This card offers more than just Avios that you can redeem for flights, though. As a cardmember you’ll get priority boarding on flights departing from and returning to the U.S. from Ireland. Any authorized users you’ve assigned to the card will also have access to this perk. Beyond that, you’ll be enrolled in the airline’s AerClub loyalty program if you’re not already a member, which makes you privy to additional benefits such as lounge access and complimentary upgrades.
Be Wary of Fees
On the topic of fees, there are no foreign transaction fees charged for using the card abroad or making purchases in currencies other than U.S. dollars, but the card does charge a $95 annual fee. But if you’re a frequent flyer of Aer Lingus – or any of its partner carriers – you can offset this yearly cost by using all the perks available to you.
Should You Apply for the Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card?
The Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is very noteworthy for the impressive initial Avios offer it features. New cardholders can earn up to 100,000 Avios when they reach spending requirements in their first three months of membership.The overall Avios-earning potential of the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is potentially fairly strong, with 3X Avios for ticket purchases with Aer Lingus, Iberia, or British Airways, 2X on hotels booked directly with the hotel brand, and 1X Avios for all other purchases. Once again, however, this spending is ideally suited for the constant traveler, and not for those looking to earn great rewards for their everyday spending habits.