Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card
Earn up to 100,000 Bonus Avios
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $95
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 50,000 Avios after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months
- Earn an additional 50,000 Avios after spending $20,000 within the first year
- Earn 4 Avios per $1 spent on all purchases within your first year on up to $30,000
- Receive Companion ticket (valid for 12 months) after spending $30,000
- Priority boarding for cardholders and authorized users
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $95
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ - Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 - See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry - Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 - See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels - Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in Brooklyn - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in New York - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in West Hollywood - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
For loyalists of Aer Lingus, the Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card will earn up to 100,000 Avios points, a complimentary Companion ticket, as well as priority boarding on every flight.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often
- Frequently book flights with Oneworld airlines such as Aer Lingus, British Airways, or Iberia Airlines
- Are looking for an airline credit card that will reward you for all types of purchases – from booking flights to shopping for groceries
- Want a card that you can use abroad without being charged foreign transaction fees
- Are a member of Aer Lingus’ AerClub and want a faster way to rise through the program’s membership tiers
Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card Review
Like the other co-branded airline cards that share the Avios Travel Rewards currency, the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card gives you Avios with every purchase. Money spent directly with Aer Lingus nets the most Avios at a rate of 3 per $1. Anything else you pay for with this card earns 1 Avios point per $1. In addition, the 3 Avios per $1 rate also applies to direct purchases with British Airways and Iberia Airlines, so you have flexibility and can still get your rewards if you find a more affordable fare with one of those carriers.
As soon as you open your account, however, you’ll actually earn 4 Avios per $1 spent on all purchases as part of the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card’s signup offer. This promotional rate applies during your first year as a cardmember and it’s good on up to $30,000, meaning you can net up to 120,000 Avios during your first 12 months with the card.
This card offers more than just Avios that you can redeem for flights, though. As a cardmember you’ll get priority boarding on flights departing from and returning to the U.S. from Ireland. Any authorized users you’ve assigned to the card will also have access to this perk. Beyond that, you’ll be enrolled in the airline’s AerClub loyalty program if you’re not already a member, which makes you privy to additional benefits such as lounge access and complimentary upgrades.
If you can maintain a high level of spending annually you’ll benefit in the form of a complimentary economy companion ticket that’s good for 12 months. The requisite spending to receive the ticket is $30,000, so while it’s no small amount, the payoff is well-received.
Be Wary of Fees
On the topic of fees, there are no foreign transaction fees charged for using the card abroad or making purchases in currencies other than U.S. dollars, but the card does charge a $95 annual fee. But if you’re a frequent flyer of Aer Lingus – or any of its partner carriers – you can offset this yearly cost by using all the perks available to you.
Should You Apply for the Chase Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card?
The Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is very noteworthy for the impressive initial Avios offer it features. New cardholders can earn up to 100,000 Avios when they reach spending requirements in their first year of membership. Account-holders receive 50,000 Avios when they make $3,000 in purchases with their Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card within the first three months of membership, and an additional 50,000 Avios when they spend $20,000on total purchases in the first year of their account.
While 100,000 Avios is extremely enticing, however, the spend needed to achieve these goals is quite high – and well out of reach for most of the people who will hold this card. Realistically, with a very liberal use of the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card in the first months of opening an account, a cardholder can likely achieve the 50,000 Avios bonus, which is a good for a big chunk of a business class fare with Aer Lingus or British Airways – which is nothing to scoff at.
The overall Avios-earning potential of the Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card is potentially fairly strong, with 3 Avios for ticket purchases with Aer Lingus, Iberia, or British Airways, and 1 Avios for all other purchases. Once again, however, this spending is ideally suited for the constant traveler, and not for those looking to earn great rewards for their everyday spending habits.