Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 1st, 2021
Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard®
50,000 Bonus Miles & Statement Credit Offer
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 18.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $89
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 3X miles per $1 spent directly on purchases with Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, and SkyTeam member carriers
- 1.5X miles per $1 on all other purchases
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and $100 statement credit after making $1,000 in purchases within 3 months
- 5,000 miles anniversary bonus after spending $50 in purchases within anniversary year
- 20 XP every account anniversary with additional 40 XP after spending $15,000 or more per year
- No foreign transaction fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 18.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $89
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
At a Glance
Designed for avid travelers, the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® rewards generously for flight purchases and offers versatility when it’s time to redeem your earnings.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often, whether for business or pleasure
- Are a member of the Flying Blue loyalty program
- Want flexibility when redeeming your accumulated miles and the ability to choose from multiple airlines for flight awards
- Are planning to use a credit card for purchases abroad or in foreign currencies
Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® Review
The Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® is a robust airline rewards credit card from Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Bank of America. The card offers significant value for it’s annual fee – currently $89.
Signup and Anniversary Bonuses
Like most other travel credit cards, the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® woos with a signup bonus offer: 50,000 bonus miles when you spend at least $2,000 within the first 90 days as a cardmember. Now, the card offers even more – earn a $100 statement credit along with the 50,000 mile bonus – for the same $3,000 spend.
It might seem a below-average figure compared to similar cards’ offers, which commonly hover around the 50,000+ point range. However, said other cards typically require you to spend at least 3X as much for double the reward, so the ratio leans in favor of the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard.
Even if you do not get too trigger-happy with the card, spending a minimum of $50 each year – an easy feat – will grant you a 5,000-mile bonus on the account anniversary. As soon as approved for this card, new accounts get 60 Experience Points to boost their Flying Blue account status (which starts at the Explorer level and peaks at the Platinum level).
Every account anniversary holders get 20 Experience Points, plus an extra 40 XP when spending at least $15,000 on purchases within that year. As such, the perks associated with this card are certainly not few.
How to Earn Rewards
Aside from the signup bonus, the 3X miles per $1 earning rate on direct SkyTeam airline purchases is quite nice, though you should plan to spend on flights often to truly cash in (not a problem if you are already a frequent jet setter).
When not making such purchases, you’ll earn 1.5 miles per $1 on everything else, which stands out from the usual 1 mile/point alternative offered by the competition. All miles earned are stored in your Flying Blue account, Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines’ loyalty program.
How to Redeem Miles
The Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard earns rewards miles through the Flying Blue loyalty program. Flying Blue is a loyalty program that comprises several airlines within the SkyTeam Alliance, as well as other names, including Alaska Airlines.
Redeeming miles through Flying Blue and SkyTeam is straightforward. The easiest way to redeem miles is by booking award flights through KLM Royal Dutch, Air France, or any other Flying Blue or SkyTeam member carrier.
Cardholders can also redeem their miles towards several other programs, including leading hotel chains like:
Flying Blue miles expire after 24 months of inactivity on the cardholder’s account.
Other Card Features
Other notable card features with the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard include:
- No foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary ShopRunner Membership
- Mastercard Luxury Hotel Collection access
- World Elite Concierge
- Cell Phone Protection for up to $1,000 per claim, per year
- ID Theft Protection
- Zero Fraud Liability
- Global Emergency Services
For more information on the KLM/Air France Flying Blue loyalty program, check out:
Should You Apply for the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard®?
Though this card is co-branded with Air France and KLM, you’re really partnering with almost two dozen airlines. Your accumulated miles can be redeemed toward flights with any SkyTeam group member, which includes Delta, Aeroméxico, Alitalia, Korean Air, and China Airlines. This feature makes the card significantly appealing to customers whose loyalty goes beyond just one or two carriers.
With it being such an international travel-friendly card, the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® naturally avoids foreign transaction fees, though it does carry a relatively average $89 annual price. You will also get a suite of security and convenience tools from Bank of America, including $0 fraud liability, digital wallet functionality, and free access to your FICO® Score (updated monthly).