Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard®
25,000 Bonus Miles Offer
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $89
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 3X miles per $1 spent directly on purchases with Air France, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, and SkyTeam member carriers
- 1.5X miles per $1 on all other purchases
- Earn 25,000 bonus miles after making $1,000 in purchases within 3 months
- 5,000 miles anniversary bonus after spending $50 in purchases within anniversary year
- 20 XP every account anniversary with additional 40 XP after spending $15,000 or more per year
- No foreign transaction fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $89
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
At a Glance
Designed for avid travelers, the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® rewards generously for flight purchases and offers versatility when it’s time to redeem your earnings.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often, whether for business or pleasure
- Are a member of the Flying Blue loyalty program
- Want flexibility when redeeming your accumulated miles and the ability to choose from multiple airlines for flight awards
- Are planning to use a credit card for purchases abroad or in foreign currencies
Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® Review
Like most other travel credit cards, the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® woos with a sign-up bonus offer: 25,000 bonus miles when you spend at least $1,000 within the first 90 days as a cardmember. It might seem a below-average figure compared to similar cards’ offers, which commonly hover around the 50,000+ point range. However, said other cards typically require you to spend at least 3X as much for double the reward, so the ratio leans in favor of the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard®.
Aside from the sign-up bonus, the 3 mile per $1 earning rate on direct SkyTeam airline purchases is quite nice, though you should plan to spend on flights often to truly cash in (not a problem if you’re already a frequent jet setter). When you’re not making such purchases, you’ll earn 1.5 miles per $1 on everything else, which stands out from the usual 1 mile/point alternative offered by the competition. All miles earned are stored in your Flying Blue account, Air France and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines’ loyalty program.
Even if you don’t get too trigger-happy with the card, spending a minimum of $50 each year – an easy feat – will grant you a 5,000-mile bonus on your account anniversary. In addition, as soon as you’re approved for this card, you’ll get 60 Experience Points to boost your Flying Blue account status (which starts at the Explorer level and peaks at the Platinum level). Every account anniversary you’ll get 20 Experience Points, plus an extra 40 XP if you spent at least $15,000 on purchases within that year. As such, the perks associated with this card are certainly not few.
Should You Apply for the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard®?
Though this card is co-branded with Air France and KLM, you’re really partnering with almost two dozen airlines. Your accumulated miles can be redeemed toward flights with any member of the SkyTeam group, which includes Delta, Aeroméxico, Alitalia, Korean Air, and China Airlines. This feature makes the card significantly appealing to customers whose loyalty goes beyond just one or two carriers.
With it being such an international travel-friendly card, the Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard® naturally eschews foreign transaction fees, though it does carry a relatively average $89 annual fee. In addition, you’ll get a suite of security and convenience tools from Bank of America, including $0 fraud liability, digital wallet functionality, and free access to your FICO® Score (updated monthly).