Sonesta World Mastercard®
Earn Up to 95,000 Bonus Points + Instant Elite Member Status
- Regular Purchase APR 14.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 14.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 17.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 for first year; $75 after that
- Credit Needed Excellent
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 3X points on Sonesta purchases
- 2X points on airfare, car rentals, and dining
- 1X points on all other purchases
- Automatic Sonesta Travel Pass Elite Member status
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 within 90 days
- Earn additional 5,000 points after adding an authorized user within 90 days
- Anniversary bonus of 30,000 points for spending $7,500 per year
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: $10 or 5% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 17.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: $10 or 3-5% of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 for first year; $75 after that
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
At a Glance
Bank of America’s Sonesta World Mastercard provides travelers with ample initial benefits and the ability to earn points on a variety of eligible business and personal expenses at Sonesta hotels, like the famous Royal Sonesta brand. The card also offers no annual fee for the first year and a modest $75 annual fee after that.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel frequently, either for business or pleasure
- Have good to excellent credit to receive the best rates
- Don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees
- Plan to add additional authorized users to your credit card
Sonesta World Mastercard Review
Sonesta Hotels provide excellent service and amenities for their discerning clientele. Bank of America’s Sonesta World Mastercard is no different. This card, designed both for travelers looking to maximize their rewards points and status and loyal Sonesta guests, offers instant Sonesta Travel Pass Elite Member status (which features complimentary room upgrades, free club lounge access or daily continental breakfast, and more), 60,000 bonus points after an initial $1,000 spend over the first 3 months and no annual fee for the first year. The volume of bonus points on offer makes it a very good option when compared to other cards, which usually require a much larger initial spend in exchange for fewer points.
Impressive Savings on Sonesta Stays
Beyond the perk of the initial sign up bonus of instant Elite Member Status, cardholders can earn up to 30,000 points as an anniversary bonus, provided they spend at least $7,500 on purchases each year. Additionally, adding an authorized user within the first 90 days of opening an account brings an extra 5,000 reward points. These accumulated points may be used for stays at Sonesta hotels, with as little as 15,000 points required for a complimentary stay. Sonesta operates thousands of properties around the world, with notable examples being the Royal Sonesta Houston, Royal Sonesta Boston, Sonesta Fort Lauderdale, Sonesta Hilton Head, and many more. Beyond the Sonesta Hotel and Rotal Sonesta brands, there are also Sonesta Es Suites and the luxurious Sonesta Posadas del Inca in Peru.
For travelers of all varieties, this card earns 3x points on all eligible purchases at Sonesta hotels, 2x points on any eligible airfare, car rental, or dining purchases, and 1x points on all other purchases. These ample reward points allow frequent business travelers to accumulate impressive benefits quickly. This card also offers no foreign transaction fees, which allows those who regularly venture abroad the ability to amass bonus points – and not fees.
Unlike many other travel rewards credit cards, the Sonesta World Mastercard ® offers no annual fee for the first year, with a standard annual fee of $75 each year after that. APR rates vary based upon credit score but generally are similar to the rates offered by other comparable travel rewards cards.
Should You Apply for the Sonesta World Mastercard?
The Sonesta World Mastercard® offers essential security features a business traveler would expect from a travel credit card, including overdraft protection, chip and pin security to help add an additional layer of defense, and account alerts in the event of suspicious spending behavior. The Sonesta World Mastercard® also offers the availability of digital wallet technology, which allows users to sync their card to their phone or other smart devices, enabling in-store or in-app use of Apple Pay®, Google Pay™ or Samsung Pay.