Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 1st, 2021
Mastercard® Black Card™
Patented Card Construction and 24/7 Luxury Card Concierge
- Patented black-PVD-coated metal card—weighing 22 grams
- 2% value for airfare redemptions with no blackout dates or seat restrictions. 1.5% value for cash back redemptions. Earn one point for every one dollar spent
- 24/7 Luxury Card Concierge®—available by phone, email and live mobile chat. Around-the-clock service to help you save time and manage tasks big and small
- Exclusive Luxury Card Travel® benefits—average value of $500 per stay (e.g., resort credits, room upgrades, free wifi, breakfast for two and more) at over 3,000 properties
- Annual Airline Credit—up to $100 in statement credits toward flight-related purchases including airline tickets, baggage fees, upgrades and more. Up to a $100 application fee credit for the cost of TSA Pre?® or Global Entry
- Enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select with access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide with no guest limit. Includes credits at select airport restaurants for cardholder and one guest
- Cell phone protection for eligible claims of up to $1,000 each year. Plus additional World Elite Mastercard® benefits
- Annual Fee: $495 ($195 for each Authorized User). Terms and conditions apply
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 15 months on transfers that post within 45 days of account opening
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $495
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Save 5% - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Save 5% - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Receive up to 50% off hotels in addition to a 1% rebate - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Save 15% - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Save 1% - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Save 5% - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Enjoy 5% rebate on all online bookings, global pass memberships and all premium subscription - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Save 10% - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Save up to 20% - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- Save $500.00 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2030 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
An exclusive and complete credit card, the Mastercard® Black Card™ is a statement piece that offers a wide range of unique benefits not found anywhere else. Beyond a 2% redemption rate for airfare and 1.5% for cash back, the Black Card provides a full lifestyle experience that goes beyond just amassing points – and that more than makes up for its annual costs. Once approved, customers can expect 24/7 personalized concierge service, VIP discounts, and attractive memberships.
The Luxury Card Black Card offers more than just elite, personalized service, though. It can also be a handy tool if you simply need to make a quick purchase. Ideal if you’re thinking of minimizing your wallet, the Black Card is designed to be your companion for the long run. And regardless of how you plan to use the Black Card, you’ll do so among elite company; access to its benefits comes after a selective application process. This means the card offers luxury and convenience for a qualified few – thereby adding another layer of exclusivity and status.
Apply for This Card if You:
- Are a frequent traveler who aims to earn rewards that can be redeemed for airfare at an unmatched rate
- Are looking to minimize your wallet via an everyday credit card that rewards on every redemption
- Aim to stand out from the crowd with an expertly-crafted metal credit card weighing 22 grams
- Are seeking a dedicated 24/7 Concierge service offering personalized assistance to meet a variety of requests
- Stay at high-end hotels and exclusive resorts that offer Cardmembers amenities, breakfast vouchers and resort credits
- Are interested in premium travel benefits and protections found in few competing credit cards
Mastercard® Black Card Review
The Mastercard Black Card from Luxury Card is a high-end payment card that caters to those with elevated taste. Weighing in with an annual fee of $495, the Mastercard Black Card is very similar to its opulent sibling, the Mastercard® Gold Card™. Big travel benefits come part and parcel with this unique offer from Mastercard, as cardholders will see that their annual fee is easily offset by the VIP perks that accompany their spending. Moreover, the card’s black metal design is truly a standout feature – unique and innovative – with a difference you can feel. Premium credit cards are crafted from metal for a reason: There’s nothing quite like a card that is made of stainless steel. Nothing else feels like it or carries the strength and weight of it. It gestures something that words alone may not be able to convey.
What are black cards really? Well, the best credit cards are only available to those with the very best credit scores. The Mastercard® Black Card™ lives up to its impressive billing with an exclusivity rarely found in other “premium” credit cards.
While Luxury Card and Barclays won’t reveal their specific criteria for applicants, what is known is that only those with a FICO score above 725 and a lengthy credit history will likely be approved. In addition, such credentials would need to be combined with an individual income north of $150,000 per year. All told, the Mastercard Black Card – like its siblings, the Mastercard® Gold Card™ and the Mastercard® Titanium Card™ – are for the very elite who want the very best, every day.
Luxury Card Concierge
The 24-hour Luxury Card Concierge grants VIP service catered specifically to your needs. You can experience true luxury with agents available around the clock, by phone, live chat, and email. Luxury Card Concierge can assist you with personal requests such as travel booking and suggestions, restaurant reservations, gift and activity recommendations, and even research. What’s more, this service is available to all cardmembers without any hidden fees. This lifestyle management tool is tailored to each cardmember’s specific needs – a personal touch that makes this program stand out from its competitors and elevates the Black Card to an even higher elite status.
The Luxury Card Concierge service covers all aspects of day-to-day life, as well as one-off exclusive requests and assistance. Among others, the service has fulfilled requests from current cardholders including the following:
- Travel information, including hotel, resort, and B&B information and reservations
- VIP airport lounge information
- Airline reservations
- Food and wine recommendations
- Dinner reservations (especially for large groups)
- Client-specific and luxury gift-purchasing assistance
- Checking stores for inventory and price comparison
- Golf tee times
- Camping and parks information
- Roadside assistance
Golfing in particular is one of the premier luxury perks with the card, with the Priceless Golf collection allowing users to book tee times at over 1,000 courses within the hidden network of private country clubs and ranges throughout the world.
A Lengthy 0% APR Introductory Period
The Mastercard Black Card sets out to be impressive in every facet – and its interest rate is no different. The card comes with a lengthy 15-month 0% intro APR period on balance transfers for new cardholders. This offer applies to each balance transfer posted to a new account within 45 days of opening.
Among the very elite credit cards, such an extended balance transfer promotional period is unheard of. The Black Card can save those with an existing balance of $5,000 on a credit card with 25% APR approximately $1,000 in interest. The Platinum Card from American Express, by comparison, does not allow users to carry a balance – making it unsuitable for everyday life.
A Regular APR Lower Than Other Premium Cards
The Mastercard Black Card also offers exceptional value every day. The card is unique in that it offers a fixed-rate APR on purchases and balance transfers (including those made after the first 45 days of account opening). This rate is also consistently lower than that of other elite credit cards. The latter may provide a variable APR that can differ wildly depending on creditworthiness – while still only approving a select few applicants. The Black Card, on the other hand, uses its exclusivity to provide cardholders with a fixed rate that is lower than competing products, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Exceptional Travel Perks
Traveling with your Black Card is not only easy; it’s stress-free thanks to comprehensive travel services that are catered to your personal tastes. No matter your destination, whenever you travel, you’ll have countless resources at your fingertips.
The Luxury Card Travel program offers a comprehensive suite of travel services reserved exclusively for Cardmembers. Featuring over 3,000 properties from high-end hotel brands across the world, you’ll find the perfect place to rest your head wherever your journey takes you, along with welcome amenities like breakfast vouchers and resort credits. Handpicked destinations include the Montage in Los Cabos, the St. Regis Osaka, The Peninsula Shanghai, and the Ritz-Carlton.
Along with the vast variety of properties in the hotel collection, the Luxury Card Travel program allows you to enjoy carefully curated travel experiences that cover a variety of interests: culinary & wine, activity & adventure, sports & entertainment, family, arts & culture, and even specialty travel – all exclusively for Cardmembers.
Additionally, the Black Card opens the door to more than 1,300 complimentary airport lounges in 500 cities across the globe via a complimentary Priority Pass Select membership. Enjoy pre-flight food and drinks and connect to Wi-Fi in a private, quiet space while you wait for your connecting flight. There are no lounge visit limits, and all guests are allowed with Luxury Card’s Priority Pass membership – not just immediate family. Moreover, the membership includes restaurant lounges at 20 U.S. airports, most of which offer members a food and drink credit off the bill of approximately $28 per guest.
Related Article: Why Luxury Card Offers the Best Luxury Credit Cards of 2020
Pairing perfectly with this perk is an annual $100 automatic statement credit for the cost of a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck enrollment fee. These expedited security screening services make getting to and from your gate swift and easy.
If things don’t go your way while you fly, Luxury Card has you covered. Enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that you’re protected by baggage delay insurance – if a checked bag on a common carrier flight is delayed in transit for tickets purchased using your Black Card, you’ll be reimbursed for the cost of replacing essential personal or business items. And when your trip is delayed more than 6 hours for an eligible reason, you can receive up to $300 per trip, and up to $600 per 12-month period. Moreover, if your trip is cancelled or interrupted due to a covered reason, you can be reimbursed up to $5,000 per trip and $10,000 per 12-month period.
Luxury Card aims to keep you connected, especially through its Luxury Card App. This powerful tool assists you in finding hotels, travel services, and other perks directly from your mobile device. It also offers a 24/7 live chat service with a Concierge agent for an added personal touch. Use this to access itineraries, book flights and hotels, and more.
Lastly, in addition to all of the features offered by Luxury Card, you will be able to enjoy making purchases abroad without incurring any foreign transaction fees. And, this being a Mastercard, it is accepted in 210 countries around the world (compared to American Express’ 160 or so). Such a wide acceptance makes it both a great everyday card and an ideal card for those who travel abroad frequently.
Earning Points with the Mastercard Black Card
You can enhance your purchasing power by using your Black Card – you’ll earn 1 point for every dollar you spend, every time you spend, on every purchase. Each purchase will bring you closer to the rewards you want. You can redeem points at a 2% value for airfare redemptions (for example, 50,000 points will redeem towards a $1,000 ticket on any airline without blackout dates or seat restrictions) and at a rate of 1.5% value for cash back.
What’s great about the cash back option is that you can choose a statement credit or a cash deposit to any U.S. bank account. Many other cards either don’t allow direct deposits or require you to have a checking account with a specific bank. In addition, there are no minimum thresholds for redeeming rewards, sparing customers from having to reach a certain amount of accumulated cash back before redeeming. Further sweetening the deal is the fact that you can easily switch redemption methods at any time. For instance, you may initially choose to redeem rewards for cash back; but if you decide to embark on a trip soon – where it makes more sense to enhance the redemption – you can instead redeem your rewards for airline tickets.
The beauty of the Black Card’s rewards program lies in its simplicity. Many rewards programs – most notably American Express’ Membership Rewards, Diner’s Club Rewards, and Chase Ultimate Rewards – rely on complicated redemption options and confusing point valuations. With Luxury Card, however, keeping it simple provides greater value for everyday users. The Black Card makes redeeming rewards all about flexibility and value – and not about endlessly amassing points. After all, rewards points should be rewarding when you want – not when an airline or hotel award calendar says so.
Additional Benefits and Protections
Take full advantage of the suite of services and features the Mastercard Black Card has to offer, including:
- Cellular Telephone Protection – Get reimbursement for the actual cost to replace or repair a stolen or damaged eligible cellular wireless telephone if your bill is charged to your Black Card.
- Complimentary ShopRunner Membership – Love to shop? Your Luxury Card includes access to ShopRunner, which entitles you to free 2-day shipping and free return shipping on eligible purchases. ShopRunner features over 100 retailers and a wide variety of categories
- Auto Rental Collision Waiver – If you decline a rental company’s optional collision/damage waiver and opt for the Black Card’s protections instead, you can be reimbursed for covered losses to a rental vehicle in a covered territory. You can be reimbursed for a collision with another object, vandalism, theft, or other physical damage.
- Avis Preferred Plus – Cardholders can skip the counter, get complimentary upgrades, and accelerate their points from 1X to 1.25X-1.5X, depending on how frequent they rent with Avis.
- TopGolf – Luxury Card’s newest perk for cardholders is complimentary membership with TopGolf, the leading golf entertainment destination. Mastercard Black Cardholders enjoy free, unlimited hours of golf at TopGolf locations each week, plus discounts on food, beverage, and retail purchases.
Should You Apply for the Mastercard® Black Card?
The Mastercard Black Card from Luxury Card is a complete and versatile payment option for those who want to stand out, make more of the experiences that already fit their lifestyle, and be treated to a wide range of benefits and conveniences. However, the card is exclusive and there is a strict approval rate. Regardless, those who qualify can take advantage of a plethora of perks.
Though its $495 annual fee is not insignificant – and places it among the company of the Chase Sapphire Reserve and The Platinum Card from American Express – the Black Card’s perks can easily offset the yearly charge if used to their full potential.
From the always-available Concierge service – which opens countless doors to exclusive events, experiences, and goods – to the VIP treatment enjoyed when booking and carrying out your travel plans, this is a card that places customers first, always. Its rewards redemption value is above the competition; its portfolio of dining and accommodation amenities is expansive; and its list of consumer protections covers nearly every major incident travel enthusiasts could contend with.
If you enjoy making a statement and value specialty services and preferential treatment – all the while earning and redeeming rewards towards future getaways – you’ll make a wise choice in considering adding the Mastercard Black Card to your arsenal of credit cards.