Last updated on June 27th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®
Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®
- 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn Double Miles on your everyday purchases – that’s 2 miles for every $1
- Get 5,000 mile anniversary bonus for spending $10,000 in purchases annually
- No blackout dates on award tickets
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year. After that, $59
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
At a Glance
The Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® is an airline rewards card that allows you to earn while you spend with a generous rewards program that grants 2 Free Spirit™ miles per dollar on purchases. These miles apply to flight awards on any of Spirit’s itineraries.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often, primarily via Spirit Airlines
- Are looking for a credit card that earns rewards at a flat rate
- Are already a member of Spirit’s rewards program and want to receive Free Spirit™miles at a faster rate
- Plan to use the card outside of the United States and can benefit from no foreign transaction fees
Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® Review
The Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® is a versatile airline card for those who frequently fly with low-budget airline Spirit, and want to earn impressive miles with every purchase.
The Spirit Airlines World Mastercard comes with two excellent signup bonuses. New accounts earn 15,000 miles after making a first purchase with the card. They’ll receive an extra 15,000 miles after spending just $500 in purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
This 30,000 bonus is enough for over 12 flights on Spirit. However, in actuality, it is suitable for one (maybe two) trips under normal circumstances. Still, this is an exceptional value for only $500 in spending.
How to Earn Miles
The Spirit Airlines World Mastercard earns a straightforward 2X miles on every purchase. There are no special categories or fine-print catches; you spend one dollar you get two miles. Even better, this flat-rate miles earning has no limit on the number of miles available.
The biggest drawback with the 2X miles on every purchase doesn’t come from the ability to earn. Instead, the downside comes from the very swift mile expiration. Miles expire after just three months if the card is not active. This quick expiration means it is essential that cardholders keep their account active – or waste losing their rewards.
How to Redeem Miles
Redeeming reward miles is very simple with the card. Miles apply to award flight bookings with Spirit. Reward flights start as low as 2,500 miles, which is an exceptional value for money. Even better, there are no blackout dates on flights booked with miles.
Beware the Fees
While booking flights is easy, cardholders should be wary of hidden fees. Spirit Airlines is a budget carrier, and as such, they make much of the profit off of surcharges and hidden fees. Cardholders can expect to pay for extra items such as taxes, fuel surcharges, baggage handling, and other fees.
Other Card Features
The most notable feature other with this card is the lack of any fees for foreign transactions. Spirit is mostly known as a domestic, low-cost carrier. Despite this, however, the airline flies to several international destinations in Latin America and the Caribbean. No foreign transaction fees make this a quality credit card for those who want to earn miles abroad – without excess costs.
Should You Apply for the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard®?
While other travel cards reward holders with mile-multipliers for purchases in specific categories, the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® offers double miles for every dollar spent anywhere. This setup makes it easier and faster to redeem those miles for flights. Flight redemptions start at just 2,500 miles, a number exclusive to cardholders, and there are no blackout dates.
Plus, if you spend at least $10,000 in yearly purchases, you’ll be awarded 5,000 miles on your account anniversary. As any travel credit card should, the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard waives foreign transaction fees. And while there is an annual fee of $59, Bank of America waives that charge for the first year.
With all this good, however, comes the bad. If you hate paying hidden fees with your flights, this isn’t the card for you. Even with redemption flights, cardholders can expect additional costs. If, however, you are willing to deal with these extra costs, the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard® is an excellent choice. If you frequently travel with Spirit, you likely understand the pros and cons that come with using a budget carrier. Therefore, passing up on these impressive bonus miles on offer is almost impossible.