Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 4th, 2021
Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard®
Get 10,000 Bonus Points After Spending $500 in 90 Days
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 18.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 2 points per dollar spent on eligible Spirit purchases
- No limit to the points you can earn and no points expiration
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 18.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard is an airline rewards credit card that provides decent value to the occasional Spirit Airlines flyer. The card earns double points with the discount carrier and offers both signup and anniversary points bonuses – all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
- Travel – but not enough to warrant a premium airline card
- Want priority boarding
- Don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees
Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard Review
The Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard is the no annual fee younger sibling of the Spirit Airlines credit cards from Bank of America. The card features no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
How to Earn Rewards
Since the Travel World Mastercard features no annual fee, it offers points at a lower-earning rate than the Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard®. The Travel World earns 2X points on eligible purchases and a single point-per-dollar spent on all other purchases.
New accounts also receive 10,000 bonus points after meeting minimum spending requirements. Making just $500 in purchases within the first 90 days is enough for 10,000 Free Spirit points – worth up to four off-peak, one-way flights.
Cardholders also have the chance at 5,000-anniversary points each year – after making over $10,000 in purchases with the Free Spirit Travel World Mastercard within the prior year.
Other Free Spirit Perks
Another notable feature of the card is the addition of Zone 2 speedy boarding on all flights. While this perk is not the most lucrative, it will save the cardholder time when boarding and getting settled on their flight. Once aloft, they will also enjoy 25% savings on all inflight food and beverage purchases when paying with their card.
How to Redeem Points
Free Spirit features several ways to redeem points for flights. The cost of award flights with Spirit depends on the distance of the desired award route:
- Region 1:0 – 1,249 miles
- Region 2:1,250 – 1,749 miles
- Region 3:1,700 – 2,499 miles
- Region 4:2,500+ miles
Once the route’s distance is determined, award flights fall into one of several categories:
- Off-Peak Flights: Only available when booking award flights with the Spirit Airlines credit cards.
- Standard Flights: These flights are only available on certain days of the week and at select points in the year.
- Peak Flights: Offers more availability than Standard fares but still subject to blackout dates.
- Premium Flights: The most expensive mileage tier offering the best award flight options.
Off-peak flights in Region 1 start as low as 2,500 points, with premium flights to Region 4 beginning at 45,000 points.
Points in the Free Spirit loyalty program never expire as long as the account is open.
Other Card Features
The Free Spirit Travel World Mastercard features the same interest rates as the Travel More World Elite Mastercard. That rate will vary, but applicants with excellent credit scores can anticipate a competitive rate. That is approximately 2% lower than the national average for an airline credit card.
The card also features World Mastercard perks, which offer a higher level of luxury than a traditional Mastercard credit card product. These perks include:
- World VIP Concierge: 24/7 concierge service for airports, travel, and any other concerns.
- Free ShopRunner membership
- Access to the Mastercard Luxury Hotel Collection
- Cell Phone Protection with up to $1,000 in coverage per year ($600 per claim)
- ID Theft Protection
- Zero Fraud Liability
- Mastercard Global Emergency Services
For more information on the Free Spirit loyalty program, check out:
Should You Apply for the Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard®?
The Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard® is enticing in that it offers many of the same features of the premium Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® without the annual fee. For the casual traveler that wants a versatile Mastercard with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, the card is a decent option to consider.
The addition of priority boarding, in-flight savings, and enhanced points on Spirit Airlines purchases makes the card useful enough for the Spirit aficionado but not restrictive for those who want an airline card for award flights – but don’t want the burden of an annual fee.