Last updated on May 22nd, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard®
Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard®
- 19.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 19.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 22.99% to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard is an airline rewards credit card that provides decent value to the occasional Spirit Airlines flyer. The card earns double points with the discount carrier and offers both signup and anniversary points bonuses – all for no annual fee.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 2 points per dollar spent on eligible Spirit purchases
- No limit to the points you can earn and no points expiration
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 22.99% to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee
- You travel – but not enough to warrant a premium airline card
- You want priority boarding
- You don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees
Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard®Terms & Conditions
Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard Review
The Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard is the no annual fee younger sibling of the Spirit Airlines credit cards from Bank of America. The card features no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
How to Earn Rewards
Since the Travel World Mastercard features no annual fee, it offers points at a lower-earning rate than the Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard®. The Travel World earns 2X points on eligible purchases and a single point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
New accounts also receive 10,000 bonus points after meeting minimum spending requirements. Making just $500 in purchases within the first 90 days is enough for 10,000 Free Spirit points – worth up to four off-peak, one-way flights.
Cardholders also have the chance at 5,000 anniversary points each year – after making over $10,000 in purchases with the Free Spirit Travel World Mastercard within the prior year.
How to Redeem Points
Free Spirit features several ways to redeem points for flights. The cost of award flights with Spirit depends on the distance of the desired award route:
|Region 1||Region 2||Region 3||Region 4|
|0 – 1,249 miles||1,250 – 1,749 miles||1,700 – 2,499 miles||2,500+ miles|
Once the route’s distance is determined, award flights fall into one of several categories:
- Off-Peak Flights: Only available for award flights with Spirit Airlines credit cards.
- Standard Flights: These flights are only available on certain days of the week and at select points in the year.
- Peak Flights: Offers more availability than Standard fares but still subject to blackout dates.
- Premium Flights: The most expensive mileage tier offering the best award flight options.
Off-peak flights in Region 1 start as low as 2,500 points, with premium flights to Region 4 beginning at 45,000 points.
Points in the Free Spirit loyalty program never expire if the account is open and active.
Other Free Spirit Perks
Another notable feature of the card is the addition of Zone 2 speedy boarding on all flights. While this perk is not the most lucrative, it will save the cardholder time when boarding and settling on their flight. Once aloft, they will also enjoy 25% savings on all inflight food and beverage purchases when paying with their card.
Free Spirit Card Comparison
Spirit Airlines offers four co-branded credit cards with Mercury Financial and Bank of America.
|Bank||Mercury Financial||Mercury Financial||Bank of America||Bank of America|
|Credit||Fair||Fair||Good, Excellent||Good, Excellent|
|Annual fee||$0 or $79||$0 or $79||None||$0 for the first year; after that $79|
|Rewards||2X on Spirit; 1X all else||3X on Spirit, 2X on groceries, dining, 1X all else||2X on Spirit; 1X all else||3X on Spirit, 2X on groceries, dining, 1X all else|
Other Card Features
The Free Spirit Travel World Mastercard features the same interest rates as the Travel More World Elite Mastercard. That rate will vary, but applicants with excellent credit scores can anticipate a competitive rate. That is approximately 2% lower than the national average for an airline credit card.
The card also features World Mastercard perks, which offer a higher level of luxury than a traditional Mastercard credit card product. These perks include:
|Zero liability protection||Airport concierge||ID theft protection||Mastercard Travel Services|
|Mastercard Global Services||Priceless Experiences||Priceless golf||Lyft credits|
|Shoprunner membership||Fandango savings||Mastercard Hotel Stay Guarantee|
Mercury Financial Ratings
How do the Mercury and Spirit Airlines stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card and Mercury Financial – the card’s issuer:
|BestCards||Better Business Bureau||TrustPilot|
Should You Apply for the Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard®?
The Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard® is enticing in that it offers many of the same features of the premium Free Spirit® Travel More World Elite Mastercard® without the annual fee. For the casual traveler wanting a versatile Mastercard with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees, the card is a decent option.
Adding priority boarding, in-flight savings, and enhanced points on Spirit Airlines purchases makes the card useful enough for the Spirit aficionado but not restrictive for those who want an airline card for award flights – but don’t want the burden of an annual fee.