Last updated on January 25th, 2021
Spirit Airlines is an ultra low-cost U.S. carrier known for its “bare fares.” The airline specializes in extremely low fares and no-frills flights to over 75 destinations across North, South, and Central America, as well as the Caribbean. The airline’s new loyalty program, Free Spirit, offers perks and provides value for frequent Spirit passengers. Here is everything you need to know in BestCards’ Ultimate Guide to the Free Spirit frequent flyer program.
What Is Free Spirit?
Spirit Airlines is the eighth-largest carrier in the United States and flies to 77 destinations in the U.S., Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean.
Like other frequent flyer programs, Free Spirit is free to join, with the airline offering an easy signup process on its website. While Free Spirit isn’t as luxurious or robust as other loyalty programs, those who prefer to fly with the low-cost carrier – especially those flying to Spirit’s international destinations – will still find significant value with the program.
How Much Are Free Spirit Points Worth?
How to Earn Free Spirit Points
Earning Points with Spirit Airlines Flights
Spirit bases Free Spirit points on Status Qualifying Points (SQPs). Free Spirit members earn SQPs by flying with Spirit.
2,000 SQPs in a single calendar year
5,000 SQPs in a single calendar year
Silver and Gold status in the Free Spirit loyalty program entitles members to additional points on eligible purchases.
Silver membership, for instance, entitles the member to 8X points on Spirit ticker purchases and 16X points per dollar spent on extras – including additional carry on or checked baggage, in-flight purchases, and more.
Gold status entitles Free Spirit members to even more frequent flyer points. Gold members earn 10X points of flight fares and 20X points on Extras.
Earn Points with Credit Cards
Spirit Airlines currently offers two co-branded airline credit cards. Issued by Bank of America, the airline cards earn up to 3X pointss for every dollar spent – making them one of the easiest ways to amass a haul of Free Spirit frequent flyer miles quickly. The cards also comes with bonus points, anniversary gifts, priority boarding, and more..
Current Free Spirit Credit Cards
Earn Points with Spirit Airlines Partners
Free Spirit members can also earn points by spending money with select Spirit partners. Spirit offers a wide range of partner brands and companies, including:
- Spirit Cruises
- Free Spirit Dining
- Free Spirit Online Mall
- Choice Hotels
- Avis Car Rental
- Budget Rental Cars
- Dollar Car Rental
- Payless Car Rental
- Thrifty Car Rental
- Ticket Club
- Mags for Miles
- Miles for Thoughts
- Vinesse Wine Club
The best value with Spirit partners comes from the in-house airline companies. These include Spirit Cruises, which offers up to 10,000 points when booking cruises. Spirit Dining, the airline’s in-house dining rewards program, offers a 1,000 point bonus when signing up and using the service within 30 days.
Booking with Choice Hotels provides excellent value, as well – especially for those who frequently travel and want to keep their frequent flyer points active. Free Spirit members can earn 250 points per day when staying at eligible Choice properties.
View our Ultimate Guide to the Choice Privileges Rewards Program to learn about all the perks and points that you can earn as a member!
Do Miles Expire?
However, Free Spirit points expire after three months of account inactivity.
Fortunately, there are several ways to keep a Free Spirit account active:
- Earn at least one point every three months
- Use one of Spirit’s partner services via the airline’s website at least once every three months
- Make at least one transaction with a Spirit Airlines World Mastercard each month
How to Redeem Points with Spirit
Redeeming Free Spirit miles for award flights is somewhat tricky. This difficulty stems from the various ways reward flights break down in the program.
Types of Award Flight
Spirit Airlines offers four types of mileage on award flights:
- Off-Peak Flights: Only available when booking award flights with the Spirit Airlines World Mastercard
- Standard Flights: The primary tier of award flights. These flights are only available on certain days of the week and at select points in the year.
- Peak Flights: Offers more availability than Standard fares, but still subject to blackout dates.
- Premium Flights: The most expensive mileage tier offering the best award flight options.
Award Flight Regions
After determining the award tier, the Spirit award chart breaks down into four regions:
- Region 1: 0 – 1,249 miles
- Region 2: 1,250 – 1,749 miles
- Region 3: 1,700 – 2,499 miles
- Region 4: 2,500+ miles
Free Spirit Elite Membership Tiers
The Free Spirit program has two tiers of membership:
Silver is the entry-level tier in the Free Spirit program. Gaining Silver status requires 2,000 SQPs within a calendar year and offers the following perks:
- Earn 8X points on fares and 16X on extras
- Ability to host a points pool with friends and family
- Redemption fee waiver when redeeming Free Spirirt points
- Free seat selection at check-in (excluding exit rows and premium Big Front Seats)
- Free exit row seat selection up to three hours before departure
- Shortcut boarding
- Complimentary same-day standby
- Dedicated customer service phone number
Gold is the second tier in the Free Spirit frequent flyer program. This level offers a higher-level of perk and requires over double the SQPs of Silver. To reach Gold status, a Free Spirit members need 5,000 SQPs. Gold entitles a holders to the following perks (on top of all Silver benefits):
- Earn 10X points on fares and 20X on all extras
- Free seat selection at booking, including the exit row (excluding premium Big Front Seats)
- Complimentary snack and drink on board
- One free carry-on bag
- One free checked bag
- Free Spirit Airlines Flight Flex (allowing members to change itinerary online up to 24 hours before departure)