Last updated on May 22nd, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard®
Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard®
- 30.24% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 30.24% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 30.24% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard® is a premium, invite-only airline rewards credit card from Mercury Financial. The card features 3X points on Spirit flights and purchases, 2X on dining and groceries, a decent signup bonus, and no foreign transaction fees – all for an annual fee of $79.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 3x Free Spirit Points per $1 on Spirit purchases
- Earn 2x Free Spirit Points per $1 on grocery and dining purchases
- Earn 1x Free Spirit Points per $1 on all other purchases
- Invitation required to apply
- Regular Purchase APR: 30.24% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 30.24% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 4% of the amount of each Balance Transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 30.24% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each Cash Advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $0 to $79
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0% or 3% of each Purchase in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Minimum Deposit Required: n/a
- You have average credit but want an airline rewards card
- You have a pre-approval mail offer from Mercury
- You fly with Spirit or travel occasionally
Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard®Terms & Conditions
Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard® Review
The Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard® is an airline rewards credit card for consumers traditionally not-targeted rewards credit cards. The card, from Mercury Finance, features many of the perks of the Bank of America version of the Free Spirit credit cards but without the restrictive credit requirements.
Available to a Wider Credit Profile
Mercury Finance is the company behind the Mercury Mastercard. That card, issued through First Bank & Trust of South Dakota, provides reasonable credit lines, rewards, and more – for those with average credit.
Like the Free Spirit® Points Mastercard from Mercury, the Points Plus is only available by invitation. Invite-only means potential applicants need a Mercury Financial reservation code to apply. These codes usually take the form of an email offer or mail offer, inviting eligible credit profiles to consider the card.
How to Earn Free Spirit Points
The Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard® closely resembles its sibling – just with more. The card earns 3X points on Spirit purchases, including airfare, baggage, and in-flight purchases. The card also earns 2X points on dining and groceries – bonus categories that the Points Mastercard lacks.
All other purchases with Points Plus earn a single point in the Free Spirit frequent flyer program. There are no caps to the total number of points earnable, and points never expire as long as the account is open.
Other Free Spirit Benefits
Cardholders also receive an annual $100 Companion Flight Voucher each year after spending $5,000 on purchases before their anniversary date. The card can help members achieve Free Spirit Silver and Gold Status, as credit cardholders will earn one status qualifying point (SQP) for every $10 spent in purchases.
Like the Free Spirit® Points Mastercard, the Points Plus also offers a selection of Free Spirit perks, including in-flight savings, priority boarding, and more. Points Plus credit cardholders traveling Spirit Airlines will be eligible for:
- 25% rebate on in-flight food and beverage purchases
- Zone 2 early boarding.
- Point pooling for individuals and up to eight additional Free Spirit members – ideal for families traveling together
Free Spirit Card Comparison
Spirit Airlines offers four co-branded credit cards with Mercury Financial and Bank of America.
|Bank||Mercury Financial||Mercury Financial||Bank of America||Bank of America|
|Credit||Fair||Fair||Good, Excellent||Good, Excellent|
|Annual fee||$0 or $79||$0 or $79||None||$0 for the first year; after that $79|
|Rewards||2X on Spirit; 1X all else||3X on Spirit, 2X on groceries, dining, 1X all else||2X on Spirit; 1X all else||3X on Spirit, 2X on groceries, dining, 1X all else|
How to Redeem Rewards
Free Spirit features several ways to redeem points for flights. The cost of award flights with Spirit depends on the distance of the desired award route:
|Region 1||Region 2||Region 3||Region 4|
|0 – 1,249 miles||1,250 – 1,749 miles||1,700 – 2,499 miles||2,500+ miles|
Once the route’s distance is determined, award flights fall into one of several categories:
- Off-Peak Flights:Only available when booking award flights with Spirit Airlines credit cards, including the Bank of America and Mercury cards.
- Standard Flights:These flights are only available on certain days of the week and at select points in the year.
- Peak Flights:Offers more availability than Standard fares but still subject to blackout dates.
- Premium Flights:The most expensive mileage tier offering the best award flight options.
Off-peak flights in Region 1 start as low as 2,500 points, with premium flights to Region 4 beginning at 45,000 points.
Related Article: The Ultimate Guide to Spirit Airlines Free Spirit
Other Card Features
Other card features with the Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard® include World Mastercard protections and benefits:
|Zero liability protection||Airport concierge||ID theft protection||Mastercard Travel Services|
|Mastercard Global Services||Priceless Experiences||Priceless golf||Lyft credits|
|Shoprunner membership||Fandango savings||Mastercard Hotel Stay Guarantee|
Mercury Financial Ratings
How do the Mercury and Spirit Airlines stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card and Mercury Financial – the card’s issuer:
|BestCards||Better Business Bureau||TrustPilot|
Should You Apply for the Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard®?
So, should you consider applying for the Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard® if you receive an invite? The card offers plenty to justify its $79 annual fee for those targeted, especially for those who travel with Spirit or fly occasionally. The ability to earn points towards award flights to over 77 destinations in the United States, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America makes the card versatile and practical – as is the lack of any foreign transaction fees.
Ultimately, the Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard® is an excellent option for those who typically wish to get an airline credit card but don’t have the credit score required to get the very best offers. It offers a solid introductory bonus, annual points bonuses, expedited boarding, and more for a reasonable yearly fee.