Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on February 28th, 2022
Free Spirit® Points Mastercard®
Free Spirit® Points Mastercard®
Earn Up to 5,000 Bonus Points
- Regular Purchase APR 28.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 28.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 28.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 or $79
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Good , Fair
- Processing Network Mastercard
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- 2X points on Spirit purchases
- 1X points on all other purchases
- Points never expire
- Regular Purchase APR: 28.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 28.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 4% of the amount of each Balance Transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 28.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each Cash Advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $0 or $79
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0% or 3% of each Purchase in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® is an invite-only airline rewards credit card from Mercury Financial and First Bank & Trust. The card features 2X points per dollar on Spirit flights and purchases, a decent signup bonus, and no foreign transaction fees (for some).
Ideal for Those Who:
- Have average credit but want an airline rewards card
- Have a pre-approval mail offer from Mercury Financial and Spirit Airlines
- Fly with Spirit Airlines or travel occasionally
Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® Review
The Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® is an airline rewards credit card for traditionally not-targeted rewards credit cards. The card, from Mercury Financial LLC, is similar to Spirit’s other card offerings – issued by Bank of America – but without the restrictive credit requirements.
Available to a Wider Credit Profile
Mercury Financial, formerly CreditShop, is the company behind the Mercury Mastercard. That card, issued through First Bank & Trust of South Dakota, provides reasonable credit lines, cash back rewards, and more – for those with near-prime credit.
The Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® is similar in that it provides the types of rewards not usually available to people with average FICO Scores. In fact, beyond a few secured airline cards (namely the LATAM Secured Visa and the SKYPASS Secured Visa), there aren’t many travel card options for those with subprime credit.
How to Earn Rewards
The Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® closely resembles the Free Spirit® Travel World Mastercard® from Bank of America. That card offers 2X Free Spirit points on Spirit Airlines purchases, a single point on all other purchases, and a variety of Spirit-centric perks, such as:
- Zone 2 priority boarding on Spirit flights
- 25% inflight savings via a statement credit rebate
- Two Free Spirit points bonuses (on signup and at card anniversary)
The Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® offers many of those same perks. The card earns 2X points per dollar on Spirit purchases, including airfare, baggage, and in-flight purchases. All other purchases earn a single point in the Free Spirit frequent flyer program. There are no caps to the total number of earnable points, and points never expire as long as the account is open.
The card also comes with an introductory points offer of 5,000 bonus points after spending $500 on purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. As this card is geared towards the subprime credit market, the bonus offer comes with a unique provision: the bonus relies on making at least one minimum payment due.
How to Redeem Rewards
Free Spirit features several ways to redeem points for flights. The cost of award flights with Spirit depends on the distance of the desired award route:
- Region 1: 0 – 1,249 miles
- Region 2: 1,250 – 1,749 miles
- Region 3: 1,700 – 2,499 miles
- Region 4: 2,500+ miles
Once the route’s distance is determined, award flights fall into one of several categories:
- Off-Peak Flights: Only available when booking award flights with the Spirit Airlines credit cards, including the Bank of America and Mercury cards.
- Standard Flights: These flights are only available on certain days of the week and at select points in the year.
- Peak Flights: Offers more availability than Standard fares but still subject to blackout dates.
- Premium Flights: The most expensive mileage tier offering the best award flight options.
Off-peak flights in Region 1 start as low as 2,500 points, with premium flights to Region 4 beginning at 45,000 points.
For more information on the Free Spirit loyalty program, check out:
A Higher APR Than the Bank of America Cards
As mentioned, the Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® is an airline card geared towards the subprime and average credit market. Thus, the card features a higher interest rate than the Bank of America Free Spirit credit cards.
The purchase and balance transfer APRs start where the Bank of America cards leave off. The best interest rates are around 26%, significantly above the average for a rewards credit card. That said, the interest charge is avoidable by paying off the full balance before the end of the billing period.
The Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® comes with the potential of an annual fee. Mercury Financial offers two versions of the card, the Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® and the Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard, with an annual fee of either $79 or $0.
Fortunately, the card charges no foreign transaction fees, which is a nice perk for any travel card – especially for average credit scores.. Keep in mind, however, that those with lower credit scores might pay a foreign transaction fee of 3% of the transaction fee in U.S. dollars.
Other Card Features
Other features of the Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® depend on the card’s version. The Free Spirit® Points Mastercard®, for example, features the basic Mastercard protections and benefits:
- Zero Fraud Liability: Cardholders pay nothing if their card is subject to unauthorized use or theft.
- Mastercard Global Service: Emergency assistance nearly anywhere in the world, 24/7. Services include lost card reporting and replacement, emergency cash disbursement, and more.
- ID Theft Protection: Complimentary credit report monitoring that alerts cardholders to any changes or fraud concerns.
The Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard, on the other hand, is a World Mastercard. It offers additional benefits beyond what already comes with a basic card:
- ShopRunner: Free membership providing 2-day shipping with over 120 leading online retailers.
- World VIP Concierge: 24/7 concierge service for airports, travel, and any other concerns.
- Mastercard Luxury Hotel Collection: Complimentary upgrades, late checkout, and more at over 2,000 properties worldwide.
- Cell Phone Protection: $1,000 in coverage per year ($600 per claim) if your phone is lost, stolen, or broken. Cardholders must pay their phone bill with an eligible card. Terms and conditions apply.
Both versions come with complimentary FICO Score access each month, online account management, and the near-global acceptance of the Mastercard payment network.
Should You Apply for the Free Spirit® Points Mastercard®?
So, should you consider applying for the Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® or the Free Spirit® Points Plus Mastercard®? The answer is: it depends.
The cards are currently only available to apply for by invitation. This process is similar to the Mercury Mastercard’s, the other credit card product from Mercury Financial and First Bank & Trust. These offers come either by the mail or through email and are relatively common, however.
For those who receive a targeted offer, the cards enticing – especially for those who travel with Spirit or fly occasionally. The ability to earn points towards free flights to over 77 destinations in the United States, Mexico, Caribbean, and Central and South America makes the card versatile and practical. Equally useful are no fees charged for making foreign transactions.
Ultimately, the Free Spirit® Points Mastercard® is an excellent option for those who typically find themselves wishing they could get an airline credit card but don’t have the credit score required to get the very best offers. It provides value, ease of use, and decent signup bonuses for the average credit score.
Those with bad credit, or even no credit history at all, should consider a merchandise card, like the Merit Platinum, Freedom Gold, Buy on Trust, or Unique Platinum. These merchandise, or catalog cards, provide an unsecured line of credit that cardholders can use to make purchases at select retailers, as described in each card’s review.