Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 14th, 2022
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
- Regular Purchase APR 16.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 for the first year, then $99
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network American Express
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at U.S. Supermarkets and at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S
- $100 Delta Flight Credit: After you spend $10,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, receive a Credit to use toward future travel
- Enjoy a $0 introductory Annual Fee for the first year, then $99
- Terms Apply
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year, then $99
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
Featuring a sizable introductory bonus and convenient perks that frequent travelers adore like priority boarding and a free first checked bag, the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card is a solid travel partner for loyal Delta flyers.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 2X miles on Delta purchases
- Are interested in earning 2X miles at supermarkets in the U.S. and on dining worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- Want to earn 40,000 bonus miles after making $1,000 in purchases in the first three months of card ownership
- Don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees while you travel with your airline rewards card
Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card Review
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card draws you in with the ability to earn impressive bonus miles and a modest $99 annual fee, which Delta and Amex waive for the first year (see terms).
The card also offers a yearly bonus that provides some value but lacks in excitement. Cardholders that make $10,000 in purchases during the calendar year receive a $100 statement credit. While this isn’t exceptionally valuable, it is a nice bonus for those who plan to use the Gold Card extensively.
How to Earn (and Spend) Rewards
The Gold Card features a 2X miles per dollar on every eligible purchase with Delta. The Gold SkyMiles Card offers an average amount of miles on every other purchase. The enhanced categories earn 2X SkyMiles. Those categories are:
- U.S. Supermarkets
- Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S.
All other purchases earn 1X miles, with no cap on the total number of miles a cardholder can earn. Best of all, these miles don’t expire. Miles are applicable towards flights, seat upgrades, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards, and much more.
There are plenty of travel perks that accompany the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card. Enjoy priority boarding on Delta flights, as well as one free checked bag on each trip; cardholders even save 20% on in-flight purchases to sweeten the deal. Cardholders can also earn up to $110 in dining statement credits in portions of $10 per month (see terms).
The card also boasts no foreign transaction fees. Speaking of convenience, this card also includes exclusive access to select entertainment ticket presales, extended warranties for eligible retail product purchases, and even free 2-day shipping with ShopRunner.
Other features of note include:
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance
- Global Assist Hotline
- Extended Warranty protection
- Purchase protection
- AMEX entertainment Access
- Complimentary ShopRunner membership
Should You Apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card?
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card offers cardholders excellent value for their annual fee. This value is even more apparent when you consider that Amex waives the fee for the first year. The perks available with the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card are also quite lovely, especially priority Zone 1 boarding and a first checked bag complimentary on Delta-operated flights. What sets this card apart, however, is the 2X miles the card earns on U.S. dining and supermarkets. Even for the most casual of traveler, this feature allows them to save up for an award vacation to remember.