Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 14th, 2022
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Regular Purchase APR 16.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $250
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network American Express
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- $250 Annual Fee
- Terms Apply
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $250
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
If Delta is your airline of choice when planning trips for work or leisure, then you’ll enjoy the benefits available to you through the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Often book flights on Delta airlines and want to maximize your miles earning
- Want to earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,000 in the first three months of being a cardmember
- Enjoy convenient travel benefits like priority boarding and in-flight discounts on food and drink
- Want to wait for your flight at an exclusive airport lounge via discounted access
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card Review
When you regularly travel, whether it’s for business or pleasure, wishing to have an airline rewards card that maximizes miles earned makes all the sense in the world. And that includes getting as many bonus miles as possible. The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card makes it a way for travelers to amass a considerable number of miles, which are applicable towards flights, hotels, seat upgrades, and much more.
Introductory SkyMiles Offer
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card comes with a very enticing welcome offer. New accounts can earn 50,000 bonus SkyMiles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after making just $2,000 in purchases on their new card in the first three months of account opening.
How to Earn & Redeem SkyMiles
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express cardholders earn 3X SkyMiles on purchases made directly with Delta. This is a significant improvement over older versions of the card, which only received 2X in the same category. Holders also earn 3X miles on vacation bookings through Delta Vacations.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card also gets double miles (2X miles for every $1 spent) on purchases at U.S. supermarkets and at restaurants worldwide. The latter also includes takeout and delivery. This enhanced rate is double what the previous version offered, making this card a quality option for those who like to dine out (or eat in). Every other purchase with the card earns a single mile per dollar spent.
There is no cap or limit on the number of miles a person can receive. Miles are redeemable not only on Delta but also on 30 additional airline partners via SkyTeam.
Beyond the ability to quickly rack up SkyMiles, cardholders can also take advantage of an impressive array of members-only benefits. These benefits include a complimentary domestic main cabin round-trip certificate. This reward is available upon renewal of the card each year. Members also get their first checked bag free when flying with Delta.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card benefits also include main cabin priority boarding on all flights with either Delta or one of its 30 partner airlines, access to the Delta Sky Club for the cardholder and up to two guests at an exclusive rate of $39. Holders also get 20% in in-flight savings in the form of a statement credit, and baggage insurance protection. This last benefit provides coverage for lost, stolen, or damaged checked items.
There is also a statement credit for dining. Cardholders can earn up to a total of $165 in dining statement credits in portions of $15 per month (see terms).
Should You Apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card?
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card features a hefty $250 annual fee. Still, its impressive bonus miles and traveler protections make it a solid choice for the frequent flier. Those considering this card should always weigh the benefits the card provides, with its limitations, however. While accepted at over 1.6 million places in the U.S., the acceptance of American Express abroad, as compared to Visa or Mastercard, is limited.
Overall, the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is a robust, high-quality card for those who plan to make use of it every day. SkyMiles are a valuable commodity, and this card earns them in droves. The card offers significantly more value for money than the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card.