Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 14th, 2022
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Regular Purchase APR 16.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $550
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent
- Processing Network American Express
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months
- Earn up to 60,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 15,000 MQMs up to four times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights
- Receive a Domestic First Class, Delta Comfort+® or Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government-imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details
- Complimentary access into the Delta Sky Club® for you when travelling on a Delta flight
- Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book a Delta flight with your Reserve Card
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- $550 annual fee
- Terms Apply
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $550
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
Frequent patrons of Delta airlines will find a lot of advantages when using the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card. That’s because the card offers a wide variety of perks that more than make up for its $550 annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often and will benefit from luxury perks
- Plan to use all of the card’s benefits and perks to justify the $550 annual fee
- Are a current SkyMiles frequent flyer
- Don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card Review
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card is an excellent co-branded airline rewards card from Amex and Delta Airlines.
How to Earn Miles
For those that love to fly with Delta, the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card is a good but not great option. The card earns 5X miles on all purchases made directly with Delta, and 1X miles on all other purchases. Those looking for luxury probably won’t mind too much. Still, for the mile-centric traveler, there might be better value elsewhere.
If the ways to earn miles aren’t enough, the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card also provides an exceptional welcome offer. New accounts can earn 50,000 bonus SkyMiles after spending $3,000 in purchases on the card in the first three months.
How to Redeem Miles
Fortunately, there is no cap on the total number of miles earnable. Plus, SkyMiles don’t expire. Miles are applicable towards flights, seat upgrades, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards, and much more.
Like other SkyMiles credit cards, the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card offers access to Delta’s Status Boost®. Spending $30,000 in purchases receives 15,000 Miles Qualification Miles (MQMs). This award is redeemable up to four times per year, jumpstarting a SkyMiles member towards further elite statuses (terms apply).
Complimentary Lounge Access
Amex bills the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card as the “Ultimate Travel Experience”. This boast bears some truth thanks to the addition of complimentary lounge access. This work includes access to the Delta SkyClub as well as the exclusive Centurion Lounge. For those that want to relax while they travel, this is an excellent option that’s tough to beat.
Other Travel Perks
- Annual Companion Certificate: Cardholders receive a domestic first-class, comfort+, or main cabin round-trip companion fare each year on card renewal.
- TSA Precheck: Cardholders receive a statement credit for TSA Precheck or Global Entry application fees.
- Priority Upgrade: Reserve cardholders have upgrade priority over other Medallion members within the same fare class.
- First Checked Bag Free: First bag free on all Delta flights.
- Dining Statement Credit: Holders can earn up to a total of $220 in dining statement credits in portions of $20 per month
- Priority boarding
- 20% In-flight savings
- Trip delay insurance
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Car rental loss and damage coverage
- Amex Global Assist Hotline
- No foreign transaction fees
For more information on the Delta SkyMiles loyalty program, check out:
Should You Apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card?
The Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card is an airline reward card geared toward the serious frequent flyer. The annual fee of $550 more than pays for itself. Complimentary access to Delta’s SkyClub, for instance, has a cash value that exceeds the annual fee. Further perks, such as a companion pass, priority boarding, and a free checked bag, add even more value for cardholders. If you frequently travel with Delta, the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card is an exceptional value. For everyone else, however, there are plenty of great travel rewards cards that come with a lower annual fee.