| Last updated on November 15th, 2023
Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®
Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®
- 19.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 19.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 22.99% to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® is a versatile travel credit card that is more than generous when it comes to awarding you Virgin Points, even for making an initial purchase.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 3X miles on direct Virgin Atlantic purchases
- 1.5X miles on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- 15,000 Virgin Points every account anniversary
- 5,000 bonus Virgin Points for adding authorized users
- Companion reward when redeeming Virgin Points for a reward ticket (must spend at least $25,000 per year)
- Earn 60,000 bonus Virgin Points after spending $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 25 tier points per $2,500 in purchases
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 22.99% to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $90
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
- You travel often, especially with Virgin Atlantic
- You wish to earn rewards points for making purchases with your credit card
- You seek a credit card you can use worldwide without having to pay foreign transaction fees
Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® Review
With the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®, travelers can earn up to 60,000 bonus Virgin Points when they make qualifying purchases with their card. Just spending $2,000 in the first 90 days of opening an account will earn cardholders 60,000 points – an impressive haul. The card further benefits from no foreign transaction fees, making it a great tool for worldwide usage.
How to Earn Rewards
The Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard offers quality rewards with everyday purchases. Cardholders earn 3X points on purchases made directly with Virgin Atlantic and 1.5X points for all other purchases.
The 3X points are great, but the 1.5X points on everyday purchases are the real value here. There are plenty of airline rewards cards that earn enhanced points on travel purchases. Still, many of those cards only earn 1X points on other purchases. The fact that the Virgin Atlantic Card earns 1.5X makes it a valuable option for those who fly Virgin and want an everyday credit card to help them save money.
Cardholders also earn additional points every year on their cardmember anniversary. That bonus, 15,000 points may sound enticing, but requires meeting a minimum spend requirement of a hefty $25,000.
How to Redeem Rewards
Virgin Atlantic’s Virgin Points have a value of around 1.5 cents per point. This valuation comes from the best redemption options, namely travel with Virgin Atlantic. Virgin Points apply to the following redemptions:
- Travel: Points apply to Virgin Atlantic tickets in two seasons: standard and peak. Peak season runs from June to January.
- Seat Upgrades: Points also apply to seat upgrades on Virgin Atlantic flights.
- Gifts: Gift points to family or friends.
- Spending with Virgin Partners: Spend points with Virgin partners, including Delta Airlines, Apple, Macy’s RocketMiles, and more.
- Spa Access: Use Virgin Points for treatments at Virgin spas at either London Gatwick or London Heathrow airports.
- Chauffeur Service: Cardholders can use points to book luxurious chauffeur services.
Should You Apply for the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®?
Is the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® worth your time if you are looking for a rewards credit card? The answer depends on what you value from an airline rewards card. The card offers very impressively earning potential – especially for those who plan to use it frequently for purchases. Those who often book their travel through Virgin Atlantic can quickly rack up both Virgin Points and status tier points, which can lead to a whole host of great rewards and flight perks through Virgin.
A $90 annual fee might sound steep – especially as there are plenty of no annual fee airline cards out there. Don’t let that charge put you off, however. This is especially true if you travel often. Overall, the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Card is a solid choice. But make sure you shop around, as unless you frequently fly with Virgin there may be something better available.
Browse Other Bank of America Credit Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.