Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®
50,000 Flying Club Bonus Miles
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $90
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- 3X miles on direct Virgin Atlantic purchases
- 1.5X miles on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- 15,000 Flying Club bonus miles every account anniversary
- 5,000 Flying Club bonus miles for adding authorized users
- Companion reward when redeeming Flying Club miles for a reward ticket (must spend at least $25,000 per year)
- Earn 30,000 Flying Club bonus miles after spending $1,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn 25 tier points per $2,500 in purchases
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $90
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
- Take a hike with an award-winning landscape photographer - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Immerse yourself in the world of Italian food and wine - Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 - See Details
- Save as you shop at London Designer Outlet - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Achieve home office harmony with a Feng Shui session - Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 - See Details
- Take a flawless makeup masterclass at Cosmetics à la Carte - Offer Expires on June 30, 2021 - See Details
- Learn to DJ like an expert - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Shop like a celebrity with LookStyler - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Upgrade your stay in Belfast and see the city in style - Offer Expires on March 31, 2021 - See Details
- Master gin and tonics with tips from two expert restaurateurs - Offer Expires on May 28, 2021 - See Details
- Get a taste of the pirate's life with Miami Children's Museum - Offer Expires on January 22, 2031 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® is a versatile travel credit card that is more than generous when it comes to awarding you Flying Club miles, even for making an initial purchase.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often, especially with Virgin Atlantic
- Wish to earn reward miles for making purchases with your credit card
- Seek a credit card you can use worldwide without having to pay foreign transaction fees
Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® Review
With the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®, travelers can earn up to 50,000 Flying Club bonus miles when they make qualifying purchases with their card. Just spending $1,000 in the first 90 days of opening an account will earn cardholders 30,000 miles – an impressive haul. The card further benefits from no foreign transaction fees, making it a great tool for worldwide usage.
How to Earn Rewards
The Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard offers quality rewards with everyday purchases. Cardholders earn 3X miles on purchases made directly with Virgin Atlantic and 1.5X miles for all other purchases.
The 3X miles are great, but the 1.5X miles on everyday purchases are the real value here. There are plenty of airline rewards cards that earn enhanced miles on travel purchases. Still, many of those cards only earn 1X miles on other purchases. The fact that the Virgin Atlantic Card earns 1.5X makes it a valuable option for those who fly Virgin and want an everyday credit card to help them save money.
Cardholders also earn additional miles every year on their cardmember anniversary. That bonus, 15,000 miles may sound enticing, but requires meeting a minimum spend requirement of a hefty $25,000.
How to Redeem Rewards
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Miles have a value of around 1.5 cents per point. This valuation comes from the best redemption options, namely travel with Virgin Atlantic. Miles apply to the following redemptions:
- Travel: Miles apply to Virgin Atlantic tickets in two seasons: standard and peak. Peak season runs from June to January.
- Seat Upgrades: Miles also apply to seat upgrades on Virgin Atlantic flights.
- Gifts: Gift miles to family or friends.
- Spending with Virgin Partners: Spend miles with Virgin partners, including Delta Airlines, Apple, Macy’s RocketMiles, and more.
- Spa Access: Use Flying Club miles for treatments at Virgin spas at either London Gatwick or London Heathrow airports.
- Chauffeur Service: Cardholders can use miles to book luxurious chauffeur services.
Should You Apply for the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®?
Is the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard® worth your time if you are looking for a rewards credit card? The answer depends on what you value from an airline rewards card. The card offers very impressively earning potential – especially for those who plan to use it frequently for purchases. Those who often book their travel through Virgin Atlantic can quickly rack up both miles and status tier points, which can lead to a whole host of great rewards and flight perks through Virgin.
A $90 annual fee might sound steep – especially as there are plenty of no annual fee airline cards out there. Don’t let that charge put you off, however. This is especially true if you travel often. Overall, the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Card is a solid choice. But make sure you shop around, as unless you frequently fly with Virgin there may be something better available.