| Last updated on September 23rd, 2023
Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- 20.99% - 29.99% (Variable) Regular Purchase APR
- 20.99% - 29.99% (Variable) Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% (Variable) Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is perfect If you travel often via American Airlines and want to rack up bonus miles for in-flight purchases and everyday expenses like gas and restaurants, the Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® credit card is an option worth considering.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations and restaurants, and on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1 Loyalty Point for every 1 eligible mile earned from purchases
- Earn a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your card membership year and renew your card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights
- Regular Purchase APR: 20.99% - 29.99% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer APR: 20.99% - 29.99% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% (Variable)
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year. After that, $99
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- You're an American Airlines loyalist and are searching for a quick means of earning AAdvantage® miles
- You value an intro bonus of 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for making just $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account
- You want a card that doesn’t charge annual fees for the first 12 months, or foreign transaction fees – ever
Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® Review
The Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is designed with the discerning world-traveler in mind. For $99 annual fee (waived for the first year) cardholders receive priority check-in and boarding, a free first checked bag on domestic American-operated fights,, in-flight savings, and more.
Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles
High quality airline cards typically feature lucrative welcome offers – and the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® is no different. Thanks to an introductory bonus of 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account, cardholders can enjoy up to six one way flights with American (as award flights start as low as 7,500 miles).
How to Earn Miles
The Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® credit card is one of the best cards for earning AAdvantage® miles. Members can expect to earn 2X AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations, restaurants, and eligible American Airlines purchases, and 1X miles on all other eligible purchases.
The 2X miles on select purchases is par for the course with the AAdvantage credit cards (including the business cards) but lags behind many other rewards cards – and especially cash back credit cards. In fact, the 2X points is equal to the 2% back with the Citi® Double Cash Card.
There is no mileage cap on the number of AAdvantage miles earned, and miles do not expire as long as the member’s account remains open and active. Miles expire after 18 months of inactivity on the account. Actually, the Double Cash has the edge, thanks to its no annual fee, 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases, and a lengthy 0% intro APR offer.
How to Redeem Miles
Redeeming miles earned through the AAdvantage frequent flyer program is easy. Miles apply towards several redemption options, including gift cards, merchandise, car rentals, cruises, and more. The simplest way to redeem miles is through American Airlines or Oneworld award travel.
Redeeming miles for flights is straightforward, with award flights starting at just 7,500 miles for one-way, domestic flights. Miles apply to two different types of reward fare through the American Airlines AAdvantage award chart: MileSAAver awards and AAnytime awards.
- MileSAAver: MileSAAver awards offer the best value for award flights, but are only available on specific routes. Additionally, these awards are much fewer in number, so those looking to redeem their miles for a MileSAAver flight need to be quick on their feet to ensure they don’t miss out.
- AAnytime: AAnytime offers a much smoother redemption process, as they are available on pretty much every flight. AAnytime miles, however, are more expensive than MileSAAver awards, meaning they don’t offer the best value for money.
Booking award flights is your best value in the program, with as little as 7,500 miles required for a one-way ticket (though the precise amount will vary depending on date, time, airport, and seat preferences). If a better value is found elsewhere, however, don’t fret – AAdvantage miles transfer to the following airlines:
|British Airways||Iberia||Qatar Airways||Royal Air Maroc||Air Tahiti Nui|
|Cathay Pacific||Japan Airlines||Finnair||Royal Jordanian||Cape Air|
|Fiji Airways||Malaysia Airlines||British Airways||Qantas||China Southern Airlines|
|Etihad Airways||GOL||Hawaiian Airlines||JetBlue||Silver Airways|
Other ways to redeem miles include using miles for purchasing or renewing Admiral Club status, including lounge access worldwide, or purchasing seat upgrades on American Airlines, British Airways, or Iberia flights, or flights with other Oneworld carriers.
Related Article: The Ultimate Guide to the AAdvantage Program
As a Citi® AAdvantage® cardholder, you and up to four companions on the same reservation won’t have to pay for your first checked bag on domestic American Airlines flights. You also won’t have to pay foreign transaction fees or annual fees for the first 12 months that you’re a card member. These savings add up rather quickly, making the value of the Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® evident long before your introductory period expires. Perhaps the most enticing part of the card is complimentary access to American’s Admirals Club. Membership usually costs around $650, but with the Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® it is included with the $450 annual fee.
Beyond the lounge access, the card gives members a free first checked bag. They also get priority check-in and boarding on American Airlines-operated flights. Spending $20,000 or more in purchases in a calendar year (after renewing your card) also gets you a $125 flight discount.
Which AAdvantage Credit Card Is Right for Your Travel Needs?
Here’s how the AAdvantage credit cards compare:
|American Airlines AAdvantage® Mile Up®||Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®||Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®|
|Earn 2X miles at grocery stores and eligible American Airlines purchases||Earn 2X miles at restaurants, gas stations, and on eligible American Airlines purchases||Earn 2X miles on eligible American Airlines purchases|
|25% in-flight savings||First checked bag free on domestic itineraries||Admirals Club access|
|No annual fee||$99 annual fee ($0 first year)||$450 annual fee|
FAQs About the Citibank AAdvantage Credit Cards
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the AAdvantage lineup of credit cards from Citi, along with the answers:
- Yes. AAdvantage frequent flyer miles expire after 18 months of inactivity on the cardholder’s account. Fortunately keeping an account active is as easy as making a purchase with an AAdvantage co-brand credit card from Citi.
- You can book award travel on many partner airlines on aa.com and on the American app. Partner airline flights are included in award travel search results, and you can filter results for your preferred partner airlines on the Choose flights page.
- No. American Airlines’ loyalty program – AAdvantage – is free to join. Members may purchase Admirals Club membership – providing lounge access on American flights – from $600 per year.
Should You Apply for the Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®?
The Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is an exceptional airline rewards credit card. New users can earn 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when they spend $2,500 within the first 90 days. With regular use. they earn 2X miles with American and 1X miles for all other purchases. If you are a frequent traveler with American Airlines or any other Oneworld partner carrier, the Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is quite simply a rewards card you shouldn’t pass up.
The information related to Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® and Citi® Double Cash Card has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.
Browse Other Credit Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.