Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on July 27th, 2022
Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- Regular Purchase APR 18.24% - 27.24% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer APR 18.24% - 27.24% (Variable)
- Cash Advance APR 27.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 for the first year. After that, $99
- Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations and restaurants, and on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1 Loyalty Point for every 1 eligible mile earned from purchases
- Earn a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your card membership year and renew your card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 17.49% - 26.49% based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.24% - 27.24% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer APR: 18.24% - 27.24% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 27.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year. After that, $99
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is perfect If you travel often via American Airlines and want to rack up bonus miles for in-flight purchases and everyday expenses like gas and restaurants, the Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® credit card is an option worth considering.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are an American Airlines loyalist and are searching for a quick means of earning AAdvantage® miles
- Value an intro bonus of 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles for making just $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account
- Want a card that doesn’t charge annual fees for the first 12 months, or foreign transaction fees – ever
Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® Review
The Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is designed with the discerning world-traveler in mind. For $95 annual fee (waived for the first year) cardholders receive priority check-in and boarding, a free first checked bag on domestic American-operated fights,, in-flight savings, and more.
Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles
High quality airline cards typically feature lucrative welcome offers – and the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® is no different. Thanks to an introductory bonus of 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account, cardholders can enjoy up to six one way flights with American (as award flights start as low as 7,500 miles).
How to Earn Miles
The Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® credit card is one of the best cards for earning AAdvantage® miles. Members can expect to earn 2X AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations, restaurants, and eligible American Airlines purchases, and 1X miles on all other eligible purchases.
There is no mileage cap on the number of AAdvantage miles earned, and miles do not expire as long as the member’s account remains open and active. Miles expire after 18 months of inactivity on the account.
How to Redeem Miles
Cardholders can redeem AAdvantage miles for the following awards:
- Travel: AAdvantage® members can use their miles for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle®, Oneworld airlines, and partner airlines on flights to over 1,000 destinations worldwide.
- Seat Upgrades: AAdvantage® members can use their bonus miles to purchase seat upgrades on American Airlines, British Airways, or Iberia flights, or flights with other Oneworld carriers.
- Status Upgrades: AAdvantage® members can use their miles for purchasing or renewing Admiral Club status, including lounge access worldwide.
- Vacations: Use miles to purchase vacations through Oneworld partners.
- Car Rentals: Miles are applicable for vehicle rentals at over 500 locations worldwide.
- Hotels: Use miles towards bookings with over 150,000 properties in over 500 locations worldwide.
- Gift Miles: Gift miles to friends and family members.
- Spending with Oneworld Partners: Members can apply miles towards qualifying retail partners for goods and services including magazine subscriptions, newspapers, gift cards, and theft prevention services.
As a Citi® AAdvantage® cardholder, you and up to four companions on the same reservation won’t have to pay for your first checked bag on domestic American Airlines flights. You also won’t have to pay foreign transaction fees or annual fees for the first 12 months that you’re a card member. These savings add up rather quickly, making the value of the Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® evident long before your introductory period expires. Perhaps the most enticing part of the card is complimentary access to American’s Admirals Club. Membership usually costs around $650, but with the Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® it is included with the $450 annual fee.
Beyond the lounge access, the card gives members a free first checked bag. They also get priority check-in and boarding on American Airlines-operated flights. Spending $20,000 or more in purchases in a calendar year (after renewing your card) also gets you a $125 flight discount.
Which AAdvantage Credit Card Is Right for Your Travel Needs?
Here’s how the AAdvantage credit cards compare:
|American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card||Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard||Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive Mastercard®|
|Earn 2X miles at grocery stores and eligible American Airlines purchases||Earn 2X miles at restaurants, gas stations, and on eligible American Airlines purchases||Earn 2X miles on eligible American Airlines purchases|
|25% in-flight savings||First checked bag free on domestic itineraries||Admirals Club access|
|No annual fee||$99 annual fee ($0 first year)||$450 annual fee|
FAQs About the Citibank AAdvantage Credit Cards
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the AAdvantage lineup of credit cards from Citi, along with the answers:
- Yes. AAdvanatge frequent flyer miles expire after 18 months of inactivity on the cardholder’s account. Fortunately keeping an account active is as easy as making a purchase with an AAdvantage co-brand credit card from Citi.
- You can book award travel on many partner airlines on aa.com and on the American app. Partner airline flights are included in award travel search results, and you can filter results for your preferred partner airlines on the Choose flights page
- No. American Airlines’ loyalty program – AAdvantage – is free to join. Members may purchase Admirals Club membership – providing lounge access on American flights – from $600 per year.
Citibank credit, debit, and banking products are available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
How does the Citi AAdvantage stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of Citi as a bank:
Should You Apply for the Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®?
The Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is an exceptional airline rewards credit card. New users can earn 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when they spend $5,000 within the first 90 days. With regular use. they earn 2X miles with American and 1X miles for all other purchases. If you are a frequent traveler with American Airlines or any other Oneworld partner carrier, the Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is quite simply a rewards card you shouldn’t pass up.
The information related to Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.