Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on July 27th, 2022
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- Regular Purchase APR 18.99% - 27.99% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer APR 18.99% - 27.99% (Variable)
- Cash Advance APR 28.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $450
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® Bonus Miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Admirals Club® membership for you and access for up to two guests or immediate family members traveling with you
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases
- Earn 1 Loyalty Point for every 1 eligible mile earned from purchases
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.99% - 27.99% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer APR: 18.99% - 27.99% (Variable)
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 28.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $450
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
Frequent American Airlines flyers will fawn over the perks available to them through the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, including access to high-end airport lounges and sizable discounts on in-flight purchases. The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is a top-notch airline rewards credit card that should be in strong consideration for every traveler’s wallet.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Fly often on American Airlines and want to earn miles and discounts when spending on your travels with them
- Commute through an airport that has an Admirals Club® lounge and wish to unwind before or after your trips
- Are likely to spend $5,000 on your card in the next 3 months, earning you a bonus 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles
- Want a card with no foreign transaction fees
Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® Review
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is designed with the discerning world-traveler in mind. For a $450 annual fee cardholders receive complimentary membership in American’s Admirals Club lounge program (a $650 value), priority check-in and boarding, a free first checked bag on domestic American-operated fights, and TSA and Global Entry prescreening.
How to Earn Miles
With the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, you can earn 2X AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, 1X AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent elsewhere, and a significant intro bonus offer of 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles after making $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of opening your account. Spend $40,000 in purchases on your card within the calendar year, and you’ll also net 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) in addition to the AAdvantage® miles you’ve already earned that year.
How to Redeem Miles
Cardholders can redeem AAdvantage miles for the following awards:
- Travel: AAdvantage® members can use their miles for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle®, Oneworld airlines, and partner airlines on flights to over 1,000 destinations worldwide.
- Seat Upgrades: AAdvantage® members can use their bonus miles to purchase seat upgrades on American Airlines, British Airways, or Iberia flights, or flights with other Oneworld carriers.
- Status Upgrades: AAdvantage® members can use their miles for purchasing or renewing Admiral Club status, including lounge access worldwide.
- Vacations: Use miles to purchase vacations through Oneworld partners.
- Car Rentals: Miles are applicable for vehicle rentals at over 500 locations worldwide.
- Hotels: Use miles towards bookings with over 150,000 properties in over 500 locations worldwide.
- Gift Miles: Gift miles to friends and family members.
- Spending with Oneworld Partners: Members can apply miles towards qualifying retail partners for goods and services including magazine subscriptions, newspapers, gift cards, and theft prevention services.
Whether traveling often for work or leisure, the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® rewards American Airlines loyalists with comforts and conveniences that easily justify the card’s annual fee.
While perks like priority check-in and statement credits for Global Entry or TSA Pre√® are appreciated, it’s the card’s unique ability to grant cardholders (and up to two of their guests) access to the lavish American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges that help it stand out. You’ll also receive a 25% discount on in-flight food and drinks with your card, the cost of which can quickly add up when flying with others.
Not only that, but cardholders enjoy a first checked bag free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling on the same itinerary.
Who is the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® Designed for?
Given the steep annual fee and basic points, who exactly is the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® targeted towards? The target market for the card is the frequent traveler that prioritizes comfort versus rewards potential.
Perhaps the biggest feature of the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is complimentary Admirals Club access. Admirals Club access provides access to roughly 50 global lounges for the cardholders and up to two guests or immediate family (spouse, domestic partner, and/or children under 18 years of age).
The cost of an Admirals Club membership for a basic AAdvantage member is $650 for the first year and $600 for each annual renewal. Because of this steep cost, the annual fee with the AAdvantage® Executive Mastercard® is not only reasonable for the dedicated American traveler but pays for itself each year with regular travel.
Which AAdvantage Credit Card Is Right for Your Travel Needs?
Here’s how the AAdvantage credit cards compare:
|American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card||Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard||Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive Mastercard®|
|Earn 2X miles at grocery stores and eligible American Airlines purchases||Earn 2X miles at restaurants, gas stations, and on eligible American Airlines purchases||Earn 2X miles on eligible American Airlines purchases|
|25% in-flight savings||First checked bag free on domestic itineraries||Admirals Club access|
|No annual fee||$99 annual fee ($0 first year)||$450 annual fee|
FAQs About the Citibank / AAdvantage Credit Cards
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the AAdvantage lineup of credit cards from Citi, along with the answers:
- Yes. AAdvanatge frequent flyer miles expire after 18 months of inactivity on the cardholder’s account. Fortunately keeping an account active is as easy as making a purchase with an AAdvantage co-brand credit card from Citi.
- You can book award travel on many partner airlines on aa.com and on the American app. Partner airline flights are included in award travel search results, and you can filter results for your preferred partner airlines on the Choose flights page
- No. American Airlines’ loyalty program – AAdvantage – is free to join. Members may purchase Admirals Club membership – providing lounge access on American flights – from $600 per year.
Citibank credit, debit, and banking products are available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
How does the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of Citi as a bank:
Should You Apply for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®?
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® is an exceptional airline rewards credit card for American Airlines loyalist who want to make the most of their elite status. New users can earn 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles when they spend $5,000 within the first 90 days. With regular use. they earn 2X miles with American and 1X miles for all other purchases. In many ways, the card offers better value than the AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard® from Barclays.
The card also offers impressive airport benefits – the best of which is complimentary access to American’s Admirals Club lounges. Where lounge access would normally cost around $650 per year, with the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, it is included with the $450 annual fee. Beyond lounge access, however, cardholders also receive free first checked baggage on American-operated flights not only for themselves but also for up to 8 other guests when they book their travel using their card. Cardholders also get priority check-in and boarding, and a fee credit for Global Entry and TSA pre-screening.
The information related to Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard® has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.