Last updated on August 22nd, 2022
Ranked as one of the best hotel loyalty programs in the industry, the IHG® Rewards Club features four membership tiers and allows participants to earn points on all hotel bookings. These earnings can be redeemed for several options, including Reward Nights, merchandise and gift cards, exclusive experiences, airline miles, and more.
What Hotels Are in the IHG Portfolio?
IHG Hotels & Resorts (also known as InterContinental Hotels Group) has 14 brands, which feature over 5,600 IHG properties and brand hotels located worldwide that range from budget-friendly to upscale luxury.
- Regent Hotels and Resorts
- Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts
- Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants
- Hotel Indigo
- Even Hotels
- Hualuxe Hotels and Resorts
- Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts
- Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Resort
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations
- avid Hotels
- Staybridge Suites
- Candlewood Suites
How to Earn Rewards with IHG
Staying at IHG hotels offers the easiest route to earning large amounts of points per stay with the IHG Rewards Club. The number of points per night members earn with IHG varies depending upon their tier status. The point-earning potential for IHG Rewards Club members breaks down as follows:
Club elite members earn 10 points per dollar spent with IHG
Gold elite members earn 11 points per dollar spent with IHG
Platinum elite earns 15 points per dollar spent with IHG
Sapphire members earn 20 points per dollar spent with IHG
Other Ways to Earn Points
- Dining: Members can earn up to 8X points per dollar spent on dining at eligible restaurants, including tax and tip, through the IHG Rewards Club Dining Program.
- Car Rentals: Earn up to 1,500 points when booking rental cars through the IHG portal.
- Apple: Earn up to 4X points when purchasing through the IHG portal.
- Opt-Out of Housekeeping: Guests receive a maximum of 500 points when they stay at least two consecutive nights and opt-out of housekeeping.
- Transfer from Partners: Members can also transfer points form other credit card programs, including Chase Ultimate Rewards.
- Buy points through the IHG Rewards Club points portal
Transfer Points from Chase Ultimate Rewards
IHG is also a transfer partner of Chase Ultimate Rewards. Members can transfer their Ultimate Rewards (UR) points to top-off their loyalty points total for even more luxurious stays at the finest properties.
Chase Ultimate Rewards apply to the following card offers from JP Morgan Chase:
Interestingly, Chase UR points can also be earned by converting cash back rewards via Chase’s Freedom family of credit cards. This means that cardmembers of the following credit cards can use their cash back and convert that into UR points, and then Marriott Bonvoy points:
What Are IHG Rewards Points Worth?
How to Redeem Rewards with IHG
Redeeming points for Reward Nights is easily the most useful method of points redemption within the IHG® Rewards Club. Points can be used for complimentary hotel stays for as little as 10,000 points and for booking reservations at any of IHG’s thousands of properties.
Points & Cash
An alternative points redemption method for hotel stays, IHG Rewards members can use points for partial payment of a hotel booking. This is useful for those who don’t have enough points to cover an entire booking, or for those who want to stretch their points as much as possible. This option requires a minimum of 5,000 points to redeem.
Transfer to Travel Partners
IHG Rewards transfer to dozens of travel partners worldwide, including major airlines:
- Air China
- Air France
- AIR MILES®
- Air New Zealand
- All Nippon Airways
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- Asia Miles
- Asiana Airlines
- British Airways
- China Eastern
- China Southern Airlines
- Delta SkyMiles
- El Al Israel Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- Gulf Air
- Hainan Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
- Iberia Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Jet Airways
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Malaysia Airlines
- Qantas Airlines
- Saudi Arabian Airlines
- Singapore Airlines
- South African Airways
- TAP Air Portugal
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- United Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Velocity Frequent Flyer
Other Ways to Redeem
Known as IHG® Rewards Club Access, members can bid on unique, members-only experiences that range from vacations to lifestyle and entertainment. Opening bid amounts may vary, but typically they require bid increments of 1,000 points. Not for the easily discouraged, bidding wars can cause costs to go into the hundreds of thousands (in points).
IHG Rewards Membership Tiers
The starting level for new IHG Rewards Club members offers them the most basic of privileges:
- Welcome Amenity
- Raid the Bar (credit to use towards the restaurant bar or in-room minibar, only available at Kimpton Hotels)
- Points no longer expire (must maintain Elite status)
- 1 Free Amazon Kindle eBook per Quarter
Platinum is the next tier in the IHG Rewards Club program. Qualifying requires 40 Qualified Nights or 40,000 Elite Qualifying Points and offers all the amenities below:
- 50% Bonus Earnings on Top of Base Points (earn 15 points per dollar instead of 10)
- Complimentary Room Upgrades
- Guaranteed Room Availability (requires 72 hours advance notice, not valid for Reward Nights)
- Elite Rollover Nights
- 2 Free Amazon Kindle eBooks per Quarter
The highest tier of IHG Rewards Club membership requires 75 Qualified Nights or 75,000 Qualifying Points. This membership includes the amenities of the previous level in addition to:
- 100% Bonus Earnings on Top of Base Points (earn 20 points per dollar instead of 10)
- Choice of benefits (Receive 25,000 IHG points or gift IHG Platinum status to a friend/family member)
- Complimentary Night Stay at New Kimpton Hotels
- Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star® Status
- Early Check-In (10 am)
- Inner Circle Amenity (personalized welcome of favorite drink and snack delivered to your room each day – only available at Kimpton properties)
- Complimentary Chef’s Taste (during Dinner hours only)
- 3 Free Amazon Kindle eBooks per Quarter
Ambassador is another tier in the IHG’s Rewards Club, with membership costing $200 to join and $150 each year after that for renewal. Ambassador status members receive a complimentary weekend stay certificate, late check-out, and guaranteed room upgrades. Ambassador-tiered members earn the same points on stays as Platinum-tiered members.
Those who frequently travel to China will find this status even more rewarding as InterContinental Ambassador status includes perks only applicable to stays in Greater China.
- Complimentary breakfast for one, for every night of your stay (Mainland China only)
- 15% discount at restaurants and bars (excludes minibar)
- RMB120 credit for restaurants and bars (Spire Elite members only)
- Welcome fruit platter