Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on July 6th, 2022
IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card
- Regular Purchase APR 17.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 17.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 26.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- No Annual Fee
- Earn up to 17 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on purchases on monthly bills, gas stations, and restaurants. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Redeem 3 Nights, Get the 4th Night Free
- IHG Rewards bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®
- Regular Purchase APR: 17.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 17.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 26.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% based on the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card from Chase Bank makes it easy – and lucrative – to spend money; earn points from everyday purchases and watch them add up to Reward Nights at more than 6,000 hotel properties worldwide. Using this card for all purchases can net you up to 17x points per $1 spent, and exclusive Mastercard benefits like travel protection, purchase protection, and fraud protection make this card an attractive offer. The generous sign-up bonus offer that accompanies this card is another feather in its cap.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Stay at IHG properties frequently when you travel
- Plan to spend at least $2,000 in the first three months of account opening to take advantage of a generous 80,000 bonus point offer
- Want a discount of 20% when purchasing IHG® Rewards member points with this card
- Would like a card with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card Review
There are multiple ways to earn Reward Nights by using the IHG Rewards Traveler card. There is no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee associated with this card, which will help cardholders save money as they earn rewards points in the following ways:
The Sign-up Bonus
New cardholders will be able to earn a generous bonus of 80,000 points when they spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months from account opening. Points can be redeemed for a complimentary stay for as little as 10,000 points so this bonus can add up to six free nights at IHG properties across the world.
Reward Points & Redemption
This card offer has a standard rewards bonus structure, offering the highest amount points for every dollar spent with IHG. Cardholders can earn a total of 15x points for every dollar they spend with the IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card when booking an overnight stay directly with IHG Hotels and Resorts:
- Earn 17X points per $1 spent on stays at IHG® Hotels & Resorts as an IHG® Rewards Travel Credit Cardmember
Additionally, cardholders earn IHG Rewards points at the following rates:
- 3X points for every $1 spent on purchases on utilities, internet, cable, phone, and select streaming services
- 2X points for every $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, dining, and on all other purchases
Cardholders will get the best value for their money when they use this credit card to purchase a hotel stay at IHG properties, although the ability to earn unlimited rewards for all purchases will certainly put a spring in your step. IHG Rewards members can also transfer points to select partners, including leading airlines.
IHG Rewards Credit Card Comparison
|Card||IHG® Rewards Traveler||IHG® Rewards Premier|
|Savings with IHG||Earn up to 17X points at IHG® Hotels & Resorts worldwide||Earn up to 26X points at IHG® Hotels & Resorts worldwide|
|Rewards rate||Earn 3X points on purchases on utilities, internet, cable, phone, and select streaming services||Earn 5X points on travel, dining, and gas and 3X on all other purchases|
|Best perk||Automatic Silver Elite Status||Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® Fee Credit|
|Annual fee||No annual fee||$89 annual fee|
Cardholders can earn Silver Elite status when they spend at least $10,000 each calendar year using their IHG card. Additional Qualifying points can be earned to achieve higher Rewards Club statuses, too.
When purchasing IHG Rewards Club points, IHG Rewards Traveler Cardholders will receive a 20% discount when they pay for those points with their card. These are non-Qualifying points and do not count towards Elite qualification, although they can be redeemed for a free night stay.
For each standard room Reward Night stay of 4 or more nights booked with points, every fourth night is free. Cardholders must book four consecutive nights within the same Reward Night point redemption room stay at the same property. Eligible members will be charged the point redemption rate for only the first three nights; the 4th night will be free.
Chase credit, debit, and banking products are available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
JP Morgan Chase and IHG Card Ratings
How does the IHG Rewards credit card stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of JP Morgan Chase as a bank:
Should You Apply for the IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card?
The IHG Traveler Card is a decent option for those who casually travel and want to watch their spending. No annual fee makes the card an appealing option for the budget-conscious, IHG-aficionado, but earning and maintaining IHG Silver status requires spending of $10,000 per year, which is exceedingly high. While no annual fee may be the draw of the IHG Rewards Card, for anyone beyond the most casual of travelers, the IHG Rewards Premier Card might be the better bet, even considering its price tag.