Last updated on May 2nd, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
- 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.74% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Prime Visa Signature® Card offers cardholders impressive rewards on all Amazon.com and Whole Foods purchases, as well as elevated cash back at gas stations, drug stores, restaurants, transit, commuting, and more.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Instant Amazon.com gift card on approval
- Earn 5% Back at Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market with an eligible Prime membership, plus 5% Back on purchases made through Chase Travel.
- Earn 2% Back at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores, plus 2% Back on local transit and commuting, including rideshare.
- Earn 1% Back on all other purchases
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: N/A
- Balance Transfer APR: 18.99% to 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.74% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Minimum Deposit Required: N/A
- You frequently shop at Amazon or Whole Foods
- You have an existing Amazon Prime membership
- You want a card with no foreign transaction fees and Visa concierge services for your travel plans
- You want a flexible rewards program, including savings at gas stations dining
- You want the excellent customer service Amazon is known for
Prime VisaTerms & Conditions
Prime Visa Signature Card Review
The Prime Visa Signature is a cash back credit card that is equally at home in the jungle that is Amazon.com as it is on the streets of the urban jungles of New York, Paris, Milan, or anywhere else Visa is accepted.
But what’s the difference between the Amazon.com Store Card vs. the Visa? You’ll get the same fast shipping as if you paid with a debit card or a credit card, so why choose the Prime Visa? Here’s what you need to know about the Amazon credit card differences.
Amazon Prime Required to Receive Best Rewards
While the Prime Visa Signature® Card doesn’t have an annual fee for cardholders, it does require them to have an active subscription to Amazon Prime to receive the best reward-earning rate. Membership with Prime does have its benefits, including free shipping, special members-only discounts, and access to millions of films, television shows, and more. However, this is still an additional cost that those considering applying for this card must consider – a charge that equates to over $100 per year.
An annual fee of over $100 may seem off-putting, especially as most store cards feature no annual fee, but as it is for Amazon Prime and not the card per se, cardholders get significant value for money with that fee. Prime members receive free two-day shipping on eligible orders, access to Prime Video and Prime Music streaming services, and much more as part of their membership.
Savings at Amazon.com and Whole Foods
That said, those approved for the Amazon Prime Chase Card can expect substantial rewards on both Amazon and Whole Foods purchases. Cardholders receive 3% back on all purchases at Amazon.com and Whole Foods (non-Prime members earn 3% back) When approved, new members will also receive a $70 Amazon gift card as a welcome bonus. Compare that with the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card, which provides 5% back on the largest category spend.
While you need Prime membership with the card, the cost of the membership is more than made up for with great rewards at both Amazon and Whole Foods. Since Prime members receive free two-day shipping on all eligible orders, adding 5% back on purchases means shopping without leaving the comforts of home becomes even easier. This simplicity when shopping is boosted thanks to the rolling-out of free delivery of Whole Foods products from Prime members.
Additional Everyday Categories
Like other Chase credit cards, the Amazon credit cards provide streamlined rewards on set categories that mirror those of the Chase Freedom cards. This means that Prime Visa cardholders can earn up to 5% back on travel – just for booking through Chase Travel. Cardholders also earn 2% back on local transit and commuting, including rideshares, plus 2% cash back at all drug stores, gas stations, and restaurants, and 1% cash back on all other purchases. These features bring the rewards outside of Amazon/Whole Foods and open the door to everyday value from Chase.
How to Redeem Rewards
All Amazon Chase points accrued with the Amazon Prime Visa Signature® Card are redeemable towards eligible Amazon purchases, cash back through Chase Bank (either as a statement credit or into available savings or checking account), or redeemed for gift cards or travel.
It’s easy to redeem points with the Chase Amazon Visa: login to your Amazon account, place items in your shopping cart, and choose to pay with points – it’s that easy! However, note that rewards are subject to both minimum and maximums amounts, unlike other available rewards credit cards.
How Do the Chase Amazon Credit Cards Stack Up?
Here is how the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa stacks up with its Prime-less sibling:
|Rewards||Earn 5% back on Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases||Earn 3% back on Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases|
|Earn 5% back on purchases made through Chase Travel||Earn 3% back on purchases made through Chase Travel|
|Earn 3% back on purchases at restaurants, gas stations, and drug stores||Earn 2% back on purchases at restaurants, gas stations, and drug stores|
|Earn 2% back on local transit and commuting, including rideshare.||Earn 2% back on local transit and commuting, including rideshare.|
|Earn 1% back on all other purchases||Earn 1% back on all other purchases|
|Annual fee||No annual fee||No annual fee|
Prime Visa Credit Card Benefits
As with other Visa Signature® offerings, the Prime Visae Card provides both shopping and travel protections for cardholders. These security features include reimbursement for lost luggage, car rental damage waivers, and roadside assistance.
|Zero Fraud Liability||Cardholder Inquiry Services||Emergency Card Replacement||Luxury Hotel Collection||Extended Warranty Coverage|
|Roadside Dispatch||Lost/Stolen Card Reporting||ID Navigator from Norton||Travel & Emergency Assistance||Extended Warranty Coverage|
FAQs About the Amazon Rewards Visa
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the Chase Amazon credit cards, along with the answers:
- Chase credit cards require a good or excellent credit score to qualify, meaning they provide exceptional protections and benefits. These perks include:
- Roadside Dispatch
- Zero Fraud Liability
- Rental car insurance
- Travel and accident emergency assistance
- And more
- The easiest way to check your card’s balance is through the JP Morgan Chase mobile app – available in all major app stores.
- Chase Bank uses Experian for checking credit scores and gauging applications.
- Chase’s 5/24 rule means that you can’t be approved for most Chase cards if you’ve opened five or more personal credit cards (from any card issuer) within the past 24 months.
- Chase credit cards typically require a FICO credit score of 670 or higher for approval.
- You must be 18 years old to apply for a credit card.
- You can speak with a Chase customer service representative at 1 (800) 432-3117
- If you need to dispute a charge, contact Chase’s dispute line at 1-800-955-9060
- Yes, Chase’s Amazon credit cards are metal, meaning they are one of the easiest ways to get a metal credit card without an annual fee.
- About a week.
JP Morgan Chase and Amazon Card Ratings
How do the Amazon Visa credit cards stack up? Here is a selection of expert reviews for the card, as well as an overview of JP Morgan Chase as a bank:
|BestCards||Better Business Bureau||TrustPilot|
Should You Apply for the Prime Visa Signature Card?
Wondering to yourself, “is the Amazon Prime credit card worth it?” Overall, the Prime Visa Signature is a reliable option to consider. For those who are big spenders at Amazon or Whole Foods, the Prime Visa Signature® Card is a competitive rewards card that offers impressive benefits at select Amazon vendors.
The card also benefits from its lack of a foreign transaction fee and its decent APR for those with excellent credit scores. For those with poor credit, the Amazon Credit Builder is another option to consider.
Sure, the Amazon Prime Card has a backdoor annual fee in that it requires a Prime Subscription to get holders the best cash back rewards, but Amazon Prime offers exceptional value for money for members. Beyond the increase to 5% back on purchases (over 3%) members have access to both music and video streaming services, free shipping, members-only exclusive deals, and more. Given these perks – and the 2% extra back on all purchases with Amazon and Whole Foods – the extra $100-plus a year seems like a steal.
The ability to earn additional cash back with every other purchase (including 2% back at drug stores, restaurants, and gas stations) plus Visa Signature perks and protections, makes Amazon Prime Chase Card an excellent option for the frequent Amazon or Whole Foods shopper who wants everyday value and savings in one convenient package.
The information related to Citi Custom Cash Card has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.