Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on December 30th, 2021
Sam's Club® Mastercard®
Doubles As Your Membership Card
- Regular Purchase APR 15.65% or 23.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.65% or 23.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 15.65% or 23.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good , Fair
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 5% cash back on gas anywhere Mastercard is accepted (on first $6,000 per year, then 1%)
- Earn 3% cash back on Sam's Club purchases for Plus members. Club members earn 1% cash back
- Earn 3% cash back on dining and takeout
- Earn 1% cash back on other purchases at Sam's Club and wherever Mastercard is accepted
- No annual fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.65% or 23.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.65% or 23.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 15.65% or 23.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
The Sam’s Club® Mastercard® offers Sam’s Club members everywhere up to 5% cash back on gas purchases, 3% back on dining, and more – all for no annual fee. From Synchrony Bank, the card also features no foreign transaction fees, Mastercard’s near-global acceptance, and special savings when shopping at Sam’s locations nationwide.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are current Sam’s Club or Sam’s Club Plus members
- Frequently purchase gasoline
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee or foreign transaction fee
- Spend heavily on dining each month
Sam’s Club® Mastercard® Review
The Sam’s Club® Mastercard® is a versatile cash back rewards card from Synchrony and leading wholesale retailer Sam’s Club. The card offers members exclusive savings and features no annual fee with a valid Sam’s Club membership.
New Account Introductory Bonus
New Sam’s Club® Mastercard® enjoy an easy-to-achieve statement credit after meeting minimum spending requirements. New accounts earn a $30 statement credit after using their new card to make $30 in eligible Sam’s Club purchases within the first month (30 days) of opening an account.
Earn Up to 5% Cash Back on Gas
The major highlight of the Sam’s Club Mastercard is the impressive savings it offers on gas purchases. The card earns 5% cash back on gas purchases anywhere Mastercard is accepted. While that 5% back is capped on the first $6,000 per year in spending (after that, 1% back on all gas station purchases), that total amounts to $500 per month.
The 5% back with the Sam’s Club Card is on par with many of the other nominees for “best gas credit card,” making it something of a no-brainer for the current Sam’s Club member who frequently purchases gasoline and wants to save at the pump. The PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa, for instance, also offers 5% back (in Power Rewards points) but requires a Pentagon Federal Credit Union membership.
Earn 3% Back at Sam’s Club and on Dining
The Sam’s Club® Mastercard® also earns accelerated cash back on purchases at the wholesale club and on dining. The card earns 3% back on Sam’s Club purchases for Plus members, with regular members earning 1% back on Sam’s Club purchases. That 3% back takes the form of the 1% all Sam’s Club members earn on purchases and the additional 2% Plus members earn on qualifying in-club and Pickup purchases.
The card also earns 3% back on dining purchases – including takeout. All other purchases with the card earn 1% back other purchases at Sam’s Club and wherever Mastercard is accepted worldwide. This additional reward category makes the card a lucrative gas and dining card – a versatile tool in the wallet of any Sam’s Club Pus member.
How to Redeem Cash Back Rewards
Redeeming cash back with the Sam’s Club® Mastercard® is straightforward. Cardholders can redeem their rewards at Sam’s Club locations, including transactions with the Scan & Go checkout feature. Keep in mind that you must be a current Sam’s Club member to redeem your rewards, and your Mastercard account must be open, not delinquent, and verified at the time of redemption. If you are no longer a member of Sam’s Club after you earn your rewards, you must renew your Sam’s Club membership before redeeming them.
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the Sam’s Club® Mastercard® from Synchrony Bank include:
- No foreign transaction fees when shopping abroad
- The credit card doubles as your Sam’s Club membership card
- Acceptance at all Sam’s Club and Walmart locations nationwide
- Mastercard Zero Fraud Liability protection
- Sam’s Club Plus members enjoy free shipping at Sam’s Club, early shopping hours in-store, prescription savings, and more.
While the Sam’s Club Mastercard is available to applicants in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia, the wholesale brand does not have stores in the following U.S. states:
- Rhode Island
Sam's Club Mastercard and Synchrony Ratings
How does the Sam’s Club Plus Mastercard stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card:
What is the Sam’s Mastercard Credit Card like to live with? Before deciding if the card is right for you, here’s what our readers and members think about the card:
Should You Apply for the Sam's Club® Mastercard®?
So, is the Sam’s Club® Mastercard® worth considering? If you are a current Sam’s Club Plus member with good or excellent credit, the answer is likely “yes.”
The card offers superior cash back on gas station purchases to many other co-branded credit cards, making it a valuable tool for the daily commute. Add to that the 3% back it earns on dining and Sam’s Club purchases (for Plus members), and this no annual fee card hits all the right notes to make it a lucrative earner for everyday use.
For regular Sam’s Club members, the answer is also likely “yes.” While the card only earns 1% back at Sam’s Club and Walmart locations for regular members, the 5% back on gas more than makes up for this shortfall. Add to that no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee (plus the 3% on dining, and it’s competitive, valuable, and worth considering.