Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 5th, 2021
- Earn 4X points at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery
- Earn 4X points at U.S. supermarkets, up to $25,000 per year
- Earn 3X points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- Earn a $120 dining credit as monthly statements when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, Boxed, and other participating partners. Enrollment required
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: See Pay Over Time APR
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $250
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- 33% off a monthly subscription - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- 50% off for up to 12 months - Offer Expires on January 03, 2022 - See Details
- Spend $125 or more, get $25 back. Up to 2 times (total of $50). - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $25 or more, get $5 back - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on June 20, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $150 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on April 29, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $50 or more, get $10 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $250 or more, get $50 back - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $75 or more, get $15 back - Offer Expires on May 09, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $25 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
Foodies, rejoice! The American Express® Gold Card grants you the ability to earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide and US supermarkets, and 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or via amextravel.com. There are also numerous travel perks of note, including statement credits for hotel and airline purchases.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 4X Membership Rewards® points for global restaurant purchases, including takeout and delivery
- Also wish to earn 4X Membership Rewards® points on purchases at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 annually)
- Travel often and can take advantage of 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or via amextravel.com
- Would benefit from statement credits on a variety of travel expenses
American Express® Gold Card Review
The American Express® Gold Card caters to both epicureans’ lifestyle that appreciates dining at trendy restaurants and the in-home chef the loves to host meals for friends and family. Besides being a fantastic card for foodies, it also offers competitive rewards for travel and statement credits for airline and hotel stay.
A Huge Signup Bonus
The Gold Card from American Express currently features one of its biggest introductory bonuses ever. New accounts can earn an impressive 60,000 Membership Rewards points when making $4,000 in the first six months. Sixty-thousand Membership Rewards points has an approximate value of $700 for travel through amextravel.com – a huge tally for a fairly easy-to-achieve spend.
How to Earn Rewards
Amex Gold cardholders can earn 4X Membership Rewards® points per dollar spent on purchases at restaurants around the world, 4X Membership Rewards points when shopping at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in purchases each year), and 3X Membership Rewards® points for flights booked directly via their respective airlines or at amextravel.com.
Unfortunately, the Dining category does not include bars, nightclubs, cafeterias, convenience stores, or restaurants located inside of hotels. The travel rewards category has restrictions as well, and only rewards points for airfare, but cardholders could easily supplement this with a more general travel card or a hotel rewards card.
How to Redeem Amex Membership Rewards
As with other loyalty programs, Amex Membership Rewards points apply to a wide variety of redemption options. Those redemption options include:
- Statement credits
- Shopping for merchandise
- Gift Cards
- Charitable donations
- Partner transfers
Membership Rewards have an average value of $0.01, but Amex points usually have a higher average value when they are transferred to partners. American Express Membership Rewards are an exceptional value because they transfer to many other airlines and hotels. These include:
Choose Your Card Design
Dining Statement Credits
The Gold Card also comes with dining statement credits worth up to $120 per year. When using the Amex Gold Card to pay for dining purchases at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations, cardholders earn up to $10 in statement credits per month.
Uber Statement Credits
The Gold Card also comes with an additional monthly statement credit towards Uber or UberEats. Cardholders that register their Gold Card as a payment option through their Uber or UberEats account receive a a $10 credit automatically every month. This new bonus amounts to $120 per year.
A Recoupable Annual Fee
The annual fee is on the higher end of the spectrum at $250. Still, those who annually spend $6,250 on a combination of restaurants and supermarket purchases alone (about $520.83 per month) will easily make up the cost.
Pay Over Time
While the Gold Card is a charge card, that does not mean cardholders can’t enjoy the chance to carry a balance. American Express offers a special “Pay Over Time” feature that allows charge cardholders to finance select purchases at a competitive APR.
Cardholders can activate Pay Over Time, and select charges will be added to the feature automatically. Them Gold Cardholders have the choice of paying the balance in full or carrying that balance with interest. The Pay Over Time credit limit is found in the balance details on a user’s account.
Other Premium Features
Like other American Express products, the Gold Card features a variety of benefits and protections. These features include:
- Baggage Insurance Plan for up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance
- Amex Global Assist® Hotline and access to Personalized Travel Service
- Access to the American Express the Hotel Collection
- No foreign transaction fees
Should You Apply for the American Express® Gold Card?
Overall, the Amex Gold Card is a competitive rewards card for those who want dining, supermarket, or travel rewards. Although the annual fee is relatively high (and not waived during the first year), recovering the cost is very doable for the average individual and their family.
It is suitable for use as your primary card, but the reward categories also allow room for use with other types of rewards cards, particularly gas and hotel cards. For those who cannot swing the $195 annual fee, some comparable alternatives would be the Capital One Savor ($95 annual fee that is waived the first year) or the Discover it® Cash Back (no annual fee).