- 4X points at restaurants worldwide
- 4X points at supermarkets, up to $25,000 per year
- 3X points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- $10 in monthly statement credits GrubHub, Cheescake Factory, Boxed, and other locations
- $100 airline statement credit per year on incidentals
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $250
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
Foodies, rejoice! The American Express® Gold Card grants you the ability to earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide and US supermarkets, and 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or via amextravel.com. There are also numerous travel perks of note, including statement credits for hotel and airline purchases.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to earn 4X Membership Rewards® points for global restaurant purchases and 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 annually)
- Travel often and can take advantage of 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or via amextravel.com
- Would benefit from statement credits on a variety of travel expenses
American Express® Gold Card Review
The American Express® Gold Card caters to the lifestyle of the both epicurean that appreciates dining at trendy restaurants and the in-home chef the loves to host meals for friends and family. And in addition to being a fantastic credit card for foodies, it also offers competitive rewards for travel and statement credits for airline and hotel stay. The annual fee is on the higher end of the spectrum at $250, but those who annually spend $6,250 on a combination of restaurants and supermarkets purchases alone (about $520.83 per month) will easily make up the cost.
New AMEX Gold cardholders can earn a substantial signup bonus of 50,000 points for making $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Cardholders can earn 4X Membership Rewards® points per dollar spent on purchases at restaurants around the world, 4X Membership Rewards® points when shopping at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in purchases each year), and 3X Membership Rewards® points for flights booked directly via their respective airlines or at amextravel.com. Unfortunately, the Dining category does not include bars, nightclubs, cafeterias, convenience stores, or restaurants located inside of hotels. The travel rewards category has restrictions as well and only rewards points for airfare, but cardholders could easily supplement this with a more general travel card or a hotel rewards card.
Membership Rewards® points can be redeemed in a number of ways and have an average value of $0.01, but Amex points usually have a higher average value when the points are transferred to Amex airline partners.
Should You Apply for the American Express® Gold Card?
Overall, the Amex Gold Card is a competitive rewards card for those who want dining, supermarket, or travel rewards. Although the annual fee is rather high (and not waived during the first year) recovering the cost is very doable for the average individual and their family. It is suitable for use as your primary card, but the reward categories also allow room for use with other types of rewards cards, particularly gas and hotel cards. For those who cannot swing the $195 annual fee, some comparable alternatives would be the Capital One Savor ($95 annual fee that’s waived the first year), or the Discover it® Cash Back (no annual fee).