Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on January 19th, 2022
United℠ Explorer Card
Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles
- Regular Purchase APR 16.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 16.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 for the first year. After that, $95
- Credit Needed Excellent
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- Earn 2X miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, including tickets, Economy Plus®, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges
- Earn 2X miles per $1 spent on dining, including eligible delivery services
- Earn 2X miles per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel
- Up to $100 statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck®
- 25% back as a statement credit on purchases of food, beverages and Wi-Fi onboard United®-operated flights
- Free first checked bag – save up to $140 per roundtrip
- Priority boarding on United-operated flights
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.49% to 23.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first year. After that, $95
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
A co-branded airline credit card with robust rewards earning capabilities, the United℠ Explorer Card is convenient for the most crucial aspects of a getaway – business or otherwise.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often
- Frequently book travel with United Airlines and/or are a member of its MileagePlus program
- Use a credit card for everyday purchases at restaurants
- Make regular in-flight purchases
- Often travel with checked luggage
United℠ Explorer Card Review
If planning the next trip is constantly on your mind, the United℠ Explorer Card can help you reach that goal quickly. With the UnitedSM Explorer Card from Chase, travelers benefit from an array of great airport perks and benefits, as well as an impressive miles-earning rate with every purchase. Purchases made directly with United Airlines earn 2X points per dollar spent, as do purchases made at restaurants, eligible dining and delivery services, and hotels.
Every other dollar spent on purchases with the card earns a single mile. Miles earned through the United MileagePlus frequent flyer program are applicable towards reward flights, hotel stays, car rentals, and more. New accounts also benefit from an introductory offer of 60,000 bonus miles when they use their Explorer Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first three months.
How to Earn Rewards
Throughout the quest to reach that magic number, every dollar is good for 2X miles at restaurants, when booking accommodations directly with the hotel, and on purchases from United Airlines. All other purchases earn 1X mile per dollar, thereby increasing rewards earnings even further while aiming for the introductory bonus.
How to Redeem Rewards
Once you’ve accumulated a sizable number of miles, United’s MileagePlus loyalty program makes it easy to redeem them. Miles can be redeemed for flight travel, dining, statement credits, and shopping. You can also transfer miles or even donate them towards a worthy cause.
Loyalty program aside, the United℠ Explorer Card also treats cardmembers to a $100 statement credit when they use the card enroll in Global Entry or TSA Precheck®. And if traveling with luggage, being a cardmember will save you and a companion the cost of the first checked bag for up to $100 each roundtrip.
For more information on the United MileagePlus loyalty program, check out:
Should You Apply for the United℠ Explorer Card?
While the UnitedSM Explorer Card from Chase’s annual fee of $95 may seem high for some, the benefits you receive once you reach rewards-earning altitude will more than make up for it. Frequent travelers who are willing to invest their money in a nominal annual expenditure that yields rich rewards earned from travel and dining each year certainly won’t want to miss their flight.
The additional Chase United Explorer benefits of statement credits for TSA Precheck and Global entry sweeten the deal, making this an exceptional credit card for those that travels often – and prefers to fly United.