Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 15th, 2022
- Regular Purchase APR 17.99%, 23.99%, or 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- No annual fee
- 10% rewards on Walgreens brand purchases
- 5% rewards on all other Walgreens purchases
- 3% on grocery and health & wellness purchases outside of Walgreens
- 1% rewards on other purchases everwhere Mastercard is accepted
- Regular Purchase APR: 17.99%, 23.99%, or 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $29
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The myWalgreens™ Mastercard® from Synchrony offers Walgreens loyalty members additional ways to rack up rewards points outside of Walgreens and Duane Reade locations. The card features up to 10% back on purchases, 3% back on select purchases outside the brand/stores, and more – all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are existing myWalgreens loyalty members
- Want to earn additional rewards outside of Walgreens or Duane Reade
- Are okay with limited redemption options
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
myWalgreens™ Mastercard® Review
The myWalgreens™ Mastercard® is a retail rewards credit card that helps Walgreens customers maximize their savings when shopping with the healthcare and drug store brand. The card, from Synchrony Bank, offers up to 10% back on eligible purchases with Walgreens brands and more – all for no annual fee.
How to Earn Cash Back
The Walgreens Mastercard works together with the pharmacy giants myWalgreens rewards program. Cardholders get rewarded every time they use the card where Mastercard is accepted – with additional rewards for purchases in select categories and with Walgreens brands (including Walgreens, Walgreens.com, and Duane Reade stores.
New accounts earn a $25 bonus after meeting minimum spending requirements within the first two months. Cardholders receive $25 Walgreens Cash rewards when they use their new card to make a first purchase within 45 days. This bonus has a value of 25,000 points.
Cardholders earn 10% cash back on Walgreens own-brand purchases and 5% back on all other Walgreens brands and pharmacy purchases. However, keep in mind that some exclusions apply to these bonus cash back rewards categories, including:
- Multiple item purchases that also include prescriptions or pharmacy products or services at any Walgreens store or Duane Reade store owned by Walgreens located in Arkansas, New Jersey or New York
- Prescriptions or pharmacy products ordered online and picked up at these stores, or any prescriptions or pharmacy products that are delivered to an address in Arkansas, New Jersey or New York
Grocery, Health, & Wellness
The myWalgreens™ Mastercard® also earns additional rewards on purchases outside of Walgreens and Duane Reade stores – something the store version of the card, the myWalgreens Credit Card, does not. Cardholders earn 3% cash rewards on grocery, plus health and wellness purchases outside of Walgreens, placing the card’s earning rate on par with other versatile cash back cards. All other purchases with the myWalgreens Mastercard earn 1% back for every dollar spent wherever Mastercard is accepted worldwide.
That 3% back on groceries and wellness is a quality bonus rate – superior to what is available from many flat-rate cash back credit cards. The TD Bank Double Up, or Citi Double Cash, for example, both offer unlimited 2% back on all purchases )with the Double Cash earning ThankYou Points).
Conversely, some cash back cards with broad bonus categories, such as the Bank of America Customized Cash or Citi’s Custom Cash, provide greater rewards and access to other bonus spend categories, should your spending habits change with time. As an example, here are the current 5% back categories with the Custom Cash:
Other Cards to Compare
- 18 months 0% APR on balance transfers
- Unlimited 2% cash back (1% back when you purchases, 1% back when paying off that purchase)
- 15 months 0% APR on balance transfers and purchases
- 5% back on on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent, 1% cash back thereafter
- 15 months 0% APR on balance transfers
- Unlimited 2% back on all purchases
How to Redeem myWalgreens Points
Since the myWalgreens™ Mastercard® operates within the myWalgreens Rewards Program, the cash back rewards the card earns are, in fact, reward points that are redeemable through the loyalty program (with the only other option being a statement credit towards the card’s monthly statement.
Rewards in the myWalgreens program are redeemable in whole dollar intervals, with $1 (1,000 points) being the minimum and 50,000 points ($50) being the maximum amount redeemable in a single transaction. Members are also capped at 100,000 myWalgreens points per day when redeeming.
Members can use their points to make purchases both in-store and online. In-store users can ask the cashier to apply their points at the register during checkout, while online, they can quickly redeem points during checkout. MyWalgreens points expire one year after they are earned or if an account has been inactive for six months.
Other Card Features
The myWalgreens Mastercard is like other Synchrony bank co-branded credit cards in that it does not allow balance transfers. And while the card does offer cash advances, the APR for those transactions is exceedingly high – in the realm of penalty APRs. The other major rates and fees note is that the myWalgreens Card charges a foreign transaction fee of 3% of the transaction in U.S. dollars.
Synchrony also provides free credit monitoring for cardholders – something available for both the store card and the open-loop Mastercard. As noted, the card features a $0 annual fee.
Other features with the card include Mastercard protections, including:
|Zero Liability Protection||Mastercard Global Services||ID Theft Protection|
Should You Apply for the myWalgreens™ Mastercard®?
The myWalgreens™ Mastercard® is an attractive credit card for those who frequently shop at Walgreens or Duane Reade since it can provide exceptional savings at the register. Simply applying for the card requires membership in myWalgreens.
For members, the card offers exceptional value – especially since it charges no annual fee. Members can add additional rewards points to their overhaul with own-brand purchases and even more rewards through the grocery and wellness categories.
Beyond the myWalgreens points, however, the card doesn’t offer a huge amount of value. Those who prefer to get many of their everyday items from Walgreens might provide an added boost to their in-store savings. Still, there is a huge assortment of rewards credit cards that offer significantly more value for those who aren’t brand-loyal.