Citi Rewards+ Student Card
Earn 2,500 Bonus Points
- Regular Purchase APR 14.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 14.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Good , Fair
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 7 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 2,500 bonus ThankYou® Points after spending $500 within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 2X points on purchases at supermarkets and gas stations for the first $6,000 per year
- Earn 1X point on all other purchases
- Purchases round up to the nearest 10 points with no cap
- 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 7 months from account opening
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 7 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.49% to 24.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of each purchase transaction in US dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card offers those enrolled in school the opportunity to earn ThankYou® points, which are rounded up on every purchase.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are currently enrolled in school
- Want to build your credit history and your credit score
- Are looking for a rewards credit card that will earn points on every purchase
- Make frequent purchases at supermarkets and gas stations
Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card Review
Many student credit cards today offer some kind of rewards incentive, but the Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card stands out for its novel rounding feature. Every purchase’s Citi ThankYou® points value is rounded up to the nearest 10 points; for instance, a $52 purchase is rounded up to earn 60 points. Although this perk is less effective with higher sale totals, a small buy like a $3 coffee ends up earning more than triple the amount of points it normally would have.
In addition to the rounding benefit, the card allows you to earn 2X points per $1 on purchases at supermarkets and gas stations (for the first $6,000 per year) – great news for students who commute to campus or need to regularly stock up on ramen. All other shopping earns 1 point per $1. Plus, every year Citi gifts back 10% of all points redeemed on up to 100,000 points. Earned ThankYou® Points can be redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, or even travel booking; the latter option will no doubt perk up the ears of students looking to study abroad.
The Citi Rewards+℠ Student has a sister card for non-students, and both are very similar with the exception of a few key differences. The Rewards+℠ Student offers a 7-month 0% intro APR period, as opposed to 12 months, and no promotional APR for balance transfers. Interest rates on the Rewards+℠ Student Card are also slightly higher than the standard, but that’s to be expected since this card is targeted at young adults with little or no credit history. In almost every other respect, however, the two cards are indistinguishable.
Should You Apply for the Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card?
Students often struggle to build credit, because they lack a lengthy credit history required to qualify for most unsecured cards. Fortunately, cards like the Citi Rewards+℠ Student Card exist. The card provides the perfect option for those looking to build their credit score, but still want rewards with every purchase. The card earns 2X points on the first $6,000 in purchases on gas and supermarkets each year, plus 1X points on all other purchases. Students also enjoy 0% intro APR on purchases for seven months – a perk not commonly found with student credit cards.