Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card
Earn 2,500 Bonus Points After First Purchase
- Regular Purchase APR 13.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 13.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for the first 6 months
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers
- Unlimited 1.5X points
- Points valid for 5 years
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for the first 6 months
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 6 months
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Complimentary EZ Mini Crunchies (60g) when you spend S$120 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- 10% off museum entry - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save up to 55% on London theater tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 10% on Tower of London access tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Alamo® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Enterprise Rent-A-Car® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% on The Paris Explorer Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% on The London Explorer Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% when you purchase your Go Barcelona Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% when you purchase your Go Bangkok Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card from Comerica Bank rewards Tigers’ fans with every purchase. The card earns decent rewards and benefits from several introductory offers – all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are die-hard Tigers fans
- Want to earn basic rewards while supporting their favorite team
- Have a small balance to pay down
- Are planning a substantial purchase they wish to pay off over several months
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card Review
The Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card is a solid rewards card from Comerica Bank that offers Tigers fans everywhere decent points for no annual fee.
How to Earn Points
The Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card earns a flat-rate 1.5X points for every dollar spent on net purchases. Points have the same value as cash back, so the 1.5X points on offer equal 1.5% cash back.
The 1.5% back rate with the card is equivalent to many other cash back cards on the market, with the most prominent examples being the Chase Freedom Unlimited and the American Express Cash Magnet Card. In terms of points, the 1.5X points are the same found with the Discover It Miles.
While 1.5X or 1.5% back isn’t going to break any records, the earning-potential of this card is enough to entice applicants who want to show their Tigers pride while getting a respectable amount of points with every purchase. Even better, there is no cap on the total number of rewards a cardholder can accumulate.
How to Redeem Points
Points earned with the Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card are applicable towards the Elan Rewards program, which is the issuer who handles Comerica’s credit card products. The program offers the typical options cardholders would expect from a rewards program.
Points apply towards rewards such as travel, merchandise, and gift cards. Since points can also be used as cash back, cash back options include direct deposits into linked accounts and statement credits to the Comerica credit card account.
All a cardholder needs to do is log on to their account, click the rewards button and browse the thousands of options available through the Elan Rewards portal.
When Do Points Expire?
Rewards expire five years after the quarter when cardholders earn them. If a holder receives points in November of 2019, for example, those points are valid through December of 2024.
2,500 Point Sign-Up Bonus
The Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card also offers a small but accessible introductory bonus for a new account. When new cardholders make their first purchase, they get an extra 2,500 rewards points. This bonus has a value of $25, which isn’t too bad – especially considering there is no minimum spend required. If a cardholder makes a purchase of one cent, they’ll get that reward. Who doesn’t like free money?
Introductory Interest-Free Offer
As the Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards is a Comerica Visa Signature product, it comes with the same 0% intro APR for the first six months on purchases and balance transfers. The balance transfer 0% APR only applies for transfers conducted within the first 186 days of opening an account. One hundred eighty-six is just a fancy way of saying the first six months, so don’t stress too much over that oddly precise figure.
The addition of two introductory interest-free periods makes the Detroit Tigers Visa Real Rewards a decent option for those who want to finance a large purchase over six months – especially given that the card earns 1.5X points on every purchase.
The 0% intro APR also helps new cardholders who have smaller existing credit card balances they want to pay down. Those with more significant balances, however, may want to consider other options. This id because the six months before interest kicks in may not be enough to pay down most debts.
Regular APR Is Competitive
Once the introductory APR periods end, the typical APR with the card is competitive, but not exceptional. The interest rates are in line with the current national averages for a cash back card, which is what the Tigers Real Rewards Card is. Those with excellent credit scores can expect an APR of around 15% to 16%, while those good credit scores can anticipate a rate rising as high as the mid-20s.
Should You Apply for the Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card?
Overall, the Detroit Tigers Visa® Real Rewards Card isn’t going to turn many heads with its rewards, introductory offers, or its APR. That’s not to say that the card is not competitive – it is. The points are essentially the same as the Discover It Miles, the Cash Magnet from AMEX or the Chase Freedom Unlimited. The problem is that those reward programs offer much more variety and value than the Elan Rewards program.
The real selling point of this card is the Detroit Tigers’ name. This card’s design is to appeal to Tigers fans. For those fans, the total package of a solid, reliable rewards card, and very competitive APR, and a passable 0% introductory period on purchases and balance transfers – with the Tigers logo – is enough to justify applying. And, those fans probably won’t be disappointed either. For everyone else, however, there may be better offers elsewhere.