| Last updated on October 18th, 2023
Boy Scouts of America Visa Credit Card
Boy Scouts of America Visa Credit Card
- 20.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 20.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 30.49% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The Boy Scouts of America Visa®Credit Card is a wonderful cash-back credit card for those who wish to earn cash rewards from everyday spending. This card rewards cardholders with unlimited cash back, and a portion of every proceed is donated back to your local BSA council, making it a great way to show your dedication to the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) organization.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn unlimited cash back rewards - no cap, no opt-in
- Earn 3% cash back at coffee shops, fast food restaurants and on ridesharing services
- Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants
- Earn 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases
- Redeem rewards for cash back, gift cards, travel credits, merchandise, and more
- No annual fee
- A portion of proceeds from every purchase is used to support the Boy Scouts of America
- Intro Purchase APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 20.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 20.49% to 30.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 30.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 32.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of each transaction in U.S. dollars. 2% of each transaction made in currencies other than U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You want to support your local Boy Scout troop
- You would like to earn unlimited cash back from every purchase
- You do not want a card with an annual fee
- You would like the flexibility to redeem their cash back for a variety of great rewards
- You regularly use rideshare services, frequent coffee shops, and/or enjoy fast food ofte
Boy Scouts of America Visa® Rewards Credit Card Review
For those who have achieved Scouting’s highest rank, the Boy Scouts of America Visa® Rewards Credit Card is a great way to show off that Scouting spirit with no annual fee while earning cash back rewards from everyday purchases.
A Scout is Always Prepared… For Cash Back Rewards
The Boy Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card is a retail card designed to showcase the pride Boy Scouts feel for their accomplishments and for those who support them. Like a Scout, the card is trustworthy, loyal, and helpful – so helpful that it rewards cardholders with cash back from every purchase they make. There is no cap on the amount of cash back that can be earned, and cardholders earn cash back at several different rates. These rates are based on the spending categories in which purchases are made; here’s how they break down:
|3% cash back on Streaming, Cable and Ridesharing
|When card is used for purchases in the streaming, cable or the ridesharing and taxis categories, including: Cable, Satellite & Other Pay TV/Radio;Record Shops; Digital Goods; and Amazon Services. The cable category does not include Google Fiber. Merchants self-select category, so not all merchants will earn additional bonus – notable exclusions include Amazon Streaming, Pandora and YouTube Music/TV.
|2% cash back on Gas, Restaurants, Fast Food
|When card is used for purchases in the service station or automated fuel dispensers, restaurant, fast food restaurant, and drinking places categories.
|1% cash back on All Other Purchases
|When card is used to make purchases in any other category. Merchants self-select category, so not all merchants will earn additional bonus.
The 2% cash back at the gas pump, and for restaurant purchases is very nice – especially considering these purchases are very common ones for more consumers. If you regularly spend money on gas for your daily commute or enjoy dining out often, this perk is an incentive to use your Boy Scout Visa to make those purchases. After all, a homecooked meal is great – but earning 2% back certainly is appetizing when you’re enjoying dinner at a nice restaurant at the end of a long workday.
Every eligible purchase made with the Boy Scout Visa Credit Card earns 1% cash back. Most transactions are eligible for cash back; however, cash advances, balance transfers, convenience checks, money orders, and gambling charges do not qualify for rewards.
How to Redeem Rewards
Rewards from the Boy Scout Visa are earned as a cash-back percentage of the net total of each purchase. Each percentage point converts to 1X reward points, which can then be redeemed for various great rewards. Cardholders can redeem their points for their choice of rewards, including:
|Redeem Commerce Bank rewards for:
Cardholders have three years from the calendar quarter in which rewards are earned to redeem before they expire. While this means that redeeming rewards for a small cash back credit or a smaller merchandise item is easy, those who wish to make a large redemption must remember that there is an expiration date, and plan accordingly.
How to Manage your Boy Scout Visa® Rewards Card
Logging into your online credit card account is easy, convenient, and fast. Cardholders who wish to monitor their spending can enjoy a free online portal that provides access to the following perks and utilities:
- Receive alerts about suspicious card activity
- Cash Back Access – view and redeem your reward points for cash bacnk and more
- Set up autopay – never miss a payment by creating recurring payments
- Sign up for E-Statements
- Add an authorized user
- Special Connections™ – Use your credit card to access cash from your other accounts at the ATM or in-store.
Visa Platinum Benefits
The NASW Visa also features Visa Platinum protections and benefits, including:
|Zero Fraud Liability
|Cardholder Inquiry Services
|Emergency Card Replacement
|Roadside Dispatch and Auto Collision Damage Waiver
|Lost/Stolen Card Reporting
|ID Navigator from Norton
Commerce Bank Ratings
What’s it like to live with Commerce Bank as a credit card issuer and bank? Here is a selection of reviews for the Midwestern bank:
Should You Apply for the Boy Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card from Commerce Bank?
The Boy Scouts of America Visa Credit Card is a lucrative cash back credit card that, when used regularly, can see cash rewards really add up. It features a competitive APR, no annual fee, and multiple ways to earn cash back from everyday spending. As rewarding as it is to get cash back from virtually every purchase, it’s also rewarding to give back to the community – and Commerce Bank donates a portion of the proceeds from each purchase to Boy Scouts of America. Folks who want to show their support for BSA will enjoy multiple benefits from card use. That said, a Boy Scout is always prepared – and should always do their due diligence. While this card is definitely a good option, is it the right fit for you? Before applying, cardholders might want to investigate all of their options:
Although an introductory APR of 1.99% will certainly help cardholders save money for the first six billing cycles, this interest rate doesn’t match up to the introductory APR of most other credit cards. Many cash back credit cards feature a longer introductory APR period that charges interest at a rate of 0%, rather than almost 2%. While this is not a significant difference, it certainly can add up. If you use the BSA Visa and carry a balance of $1,000 for all six months of the introductory APR, you’d pay $20 each billing cycle – a total of $120 at the end of the introductory period. On the other hand, if you used a 0% intro APR credit card like the Cash Magnet® Card from American Express to carry the same $1,000 balance for six months, you’d end up paying $0 over the course of that time. Additionally, many cards have a longer introductory APR period (the Cash Magnet® Card features a whopping 15 months), which means that cardholders can save even more money.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.