Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 4th, 2021
Webster University Rewards Visa® Card
Webster University Rewards Visa® Card
Earn Up to 3% Cash Back
- Regular Purchase APR 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- 2% cash back on gas and dining
- 3% cash back at coffee shops, and on rideshares and fast food
- 1% cash back for uncategorized expenses
- 1.99% introductory APR
- Intro Purchase APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 27.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars; 2% of the transaction amount in other currencies
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Webster University Rewards Visa® Card is a credit card made with Gorlock fans in mind. It’s packed with rewards students can rack up in and around campus, with 3% cash back for ridesharing, coffee shop purchases, and fast food. However, graduates, faculty, and staff don’t have to miss out; this card also rewards with 2% at restaurants and gas stations as well. All cardholders can benefit from the 1% base earnings on every dollar spent, making this cobranded Visa® rewards card worth a closer look.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Attend, work at, or graduated from Webster University
- Want to show their school spirit while earning up to 3% cash back
- Prefer flexible redemption options for their rewards
- Spend frequently in the fast food, ridesharing, and coffee shop categories
Webster University Rewards Visa® Card Review
As a college student, the Webster University Rewards Visa® Card can offer a great jumping off point for entering the world of rewards cards. It provides multiple ways to earn rewards with no cap or expiration, and several redemption options. However, some of the top rewards categories may suit students best.
Rewards on Student Favorites
This Webster credit card offers solid rewards in categories clearly aimed at current students. Whether grabbing a coffee from Maypop Coffee & Garden Shop or taking an Uber for a quick trip into St. Louis, they’ll earn 3% cash back. Aside from coffee shops and rideshare services, fast food also earns 3%. This selection of categories can offer big savings for college students, who often spend a lot in these areas.
Alumni, faculty, and staff may not benefit as much from the niche top–tier categories. However, the 2% earnings at restaurants and gas stations is on par with other mid-tier cash back credit cards. Tack on the 1% rewards and you have a card that can transition pretty smoothly from campus life to the real world.
Keep in mind that to earn higher rewards, purchases must be made with merchants who have the correct merchant code. This means certain restaurants, cafes, and gas stations may not qualify – particularly those found within larger stores.
While the earning categories may benefit certain cardholders over others, all can cash in on the variety of redemption options. The Webster University Rewards Visa® is mainly a cash back card, meaning the best way to redeem is likely through statement credits. With this option, rewards are worth 1%.
Alternately, you can redeem for gift cards, merchandise, or airline tickets instead (tickets require at least 10,000 points). To activate these alternative ways to redeem, you must visit the Commerce Bank Rewards Center website. However, you won’t be able to see actual point values until you become a cardholder.
Webster University Credit Card Extras
Also notable about this card is the 1.99% intro rate on purchases and balance transfers for the first 6 months. This isn’t a main feature of the card, however, since it can’t compare to the 0% intro APR offers of other cards. It can help you out if you need to carry a quick balance in the beginning, but it’s no balance transfer credit card.
The lack of an annual fee on the other hand, is a great benefit for any cardholder considering these rewards. This means you won’t have to spend a certain amount to make the card worthwhile – you can keep all those rewards for yourself.
Additional features like toggle® and Apple Pay compatibility allow for flexibility both before and after you make a purchase. toggle® in particular is a neat feature, because it allows you to pay off certain purchases right away and leave the rest until your statement closes.
Should You Apply for the Webster University Rewards Visa® Card?
If you know your greatest spending areas involve fast food and ridesharing, the Webster University Rewards Visa® could be a no brainer. It’s one of the few cards that provides the most rewards in these areas, and lets you show support for your Gorlacks too.
You may want to consider how these top earning categories will benefit you in the short- and long-term. The 2% rewards on gas and dining can help balance this out, but there are other cards that prioritize these spending areas more. The Uber Credit Card offers a good comparison here, since it starts with 5% rewards on Uber and UberEats. You’ll also get 3% on other travel and dining expenses, plus cell phone protection.
Yet if the chance to rep your school is what draws you in, the Webster credit card isn’t a bad place to start. It can serve as an solid student credit card and can easily compliment additional cards in the future.