Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 4th, 2021
CCSU Alumni Rewards Visa® Card
- Regular Purchase APR 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 3% cash back with fast food restaurants, rideshare services, and coffee shops
- Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants
- Earn 1% cash back on all other net purchases
- Flexible redemption opportunities and payment features, such as toggle®
- Intro Purchase APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each balance, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 27.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 2% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
With the CCSU Alumni Rewards Visa® Card, you don’t have to leave your school pride behind after you graduate. Alumni from Central Connecticut State University who apply for this card receive some surprising rewards and perks. With 3% cash back on fast food, coffee shop visits, and ridesharing, cardholders will feel transported back to their days on campus. Combine that with 2% back on gas and dining, plus 1% for all other purchases. This way, no matter how you get around or where you dine, you’ll still rack up rewards.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are Central Connecticut State University alumni
- Want to earn up to 3% cash back while supporting the Blue Devils
- Prefer a flexible rewards program offering cash back, gift cards, and travel deals
- Spend the most on rideshare services, fast food, and coffee
CCSU Alumni Rewards Visa® Card Review
The CCSU Visa rewards card is a cobranded credit card from Commerce Bank and the CCSU Alumni Association. Not only does it allow cardholders to rep their alma mater with each swipe, but it also earns solid rewards across several categories. It even supports newer payment technologies, like Apple Pay and toggle for maximum convenience. No matter where post-grad life takes you, this card can offer great rewards and a reminder of your Blue Devil spirit.
Unlimited Rewards for CCSU Alumni
This Commerce Bank credit card offers the type of rewards that both college students and recent graduates can get behind. They center on two very important factors: food, and getting around town. You’ll earn the most when you chow down on a fast food burger or visit your favorite coffee shop – 3% cash back. The same rewards rate also applies to ridesharing, so you can skip the traffic when you come back to visit during Homecoming.
However, if you were planning on leaving your fast food habit behind, you may prefer a cash back card that offers more rewards for traditional dining and gas. This one offers only 2% rewards for these categories. (Merchants must fall into the service station, restaurant or drinking establishment category to qualify.)
There’s no limit to the amount of cash back you can earn as long as your account remains in good standing. This includes the 1% on uncategorized purchases made with your CCSU alumni credit card. Once you’ve collected some rewards, your redemption opportunities become just as flexible as your ability to earn. Through Commerce Bank, you can choose between a 1% cash back statement credit, or put your rewards toward:
- Gifts cards
- Travel discounts
Note that you’ll need at least 2,500 points saved up to redeem for cash back, and 10,000 points for travel redemption. Merchandise and gift card values will vary.
Low Introductory APR Offer
The CCSU Alumni Visa Rewards Card also provides reduced APRs for the first 6 months from account opening. Both purchases and balance transfers receive an APR of only 1.99% throughout this introductory period.
While this is well-below the regular APRs for this card, it doesn’t quite compare to credit cards with 0% introductory offers. In other words, it’s not particularly suited to paying down a large balance. That being said, it can still provide some savings if you initially need to carry a small balance.
Devilishly Good Additional Benefits
Aside from CCSU alumni association appreciation and rewards, this card also provides some additional perks and protections. Features like Zero Liability coverage, emergency card replacement and the card lock ensure that you’re protected from fraud. Similarly, the auto pay option and FICO score access help you avoid missed payments and keep your credit intact.
Many cards these days offer these security features, but this card doesn’t stop there. It also includes Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay compatibility. Another feature worth mentioning is toggle®, which allows you to choose whether to pay now or pay later on various purchases. This can help you manage your budget, since you can choose to pay for your most important expenses (like utilities) right away.
Should You Apply for the CCSU Alumni Rewards Visa® Card?
If you’re a diehard Blue Devils fan and want to tell the world, you could do worse than the CCSU Alumni Rewards Visa. With pretty average regular APRs and a decent spread of rewards, it’s not a bad card to have in your arsenal. Not many cards offer rewards for ridesharing and fast food places specifically, so it’s a chance to rack up some extra rewards if you pay for these often.
The flexible redemption is also a bonus, but Commerce Bank keeps its rewards catalogue private. This makes it difficult to determine the value of your points beyond cash back. Whether or not this card is for you ultimately depends on your spending habits. For a more basic rewards categories, consider cards like the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card, which lets you choose your top earning category.