UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® Card
1.99% APR for the First 6 Months on Purchases and Balance Transfers
- Regular Purchase APR 16.74% to 26.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 16.74% to 26.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 26.74% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Good , Excellent
- Intro Purchase APR 1.99% for 6 months
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- 3% back on fast food, coffee shop, and rideshare purchases
- 2% back on gas and restaurants
- 1% back on all other purchases
- Rewards expire after 3 years
- Intro Purchase APR: 1.99% for 6 months
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.74% to 26.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 1.99% for 6 months
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.74% to 26.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 26.74% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 28.74%
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of each transaction in U.S. Dollars; 2% of each transaction made in currencies other than U.S. Dollars.
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
Trident faithful can show their UMSL love with every swipe of the UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® Card. The no annual fee card earns 3% back on fast food, coffee, and rideshares, 2% back on gas and restaurants, and comes with an introductory APR offer.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are a University of Missouri – St. Louis alumnus
- Want a no annual fee card to use for everyday purchases
- Frequently use rideshare services like Uber or Lyft
UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® Card Review
Looking to earn cash back rewards with every purchase? Regularly use rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft? Did you attend the University of Missouri – St. Louis? If this sounds like you, the UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® Card may be exactly what you need.
How to Earn Rewards
The UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® is like other c-branded Commerce Bank credit cards. The card earns 3% cash back in the following categories:
- Fast food purchases
- Coffee shop purchases
- Ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft
The card also earns 2% back on gas station purchases and when dining out and restaurants other than fast food or coffee shops. Every additional purchase with the card earns 1% back. There are no limits to the total number of rewards ana count holder can earn. The only real limit on rewards is time. You have three years to redeem points – otherwise, they will expire.
The triple and double cash back categories with the UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® Card make it a solid choice for those who want to earn rewards when socializing with friends or family – as well as on their daily commute. The 2% back categories mirror the Discover It chrome, which also offers no annual fee.
The addition of the 3% back categories is what makes this card shine. They offer a wealth of opportunities to earn additional rewards – and make the card the perfect addition to any UMSL alumnus’ wallet.
How to Redeem Rewards
Since the card is like other Commerce Bank alumni credit cards (such as the University of Idaho Rewards Visa), rewards with the UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® are also the same. In the Commerce Bank rewards program cash back rewards are actually points. This means 1% back equals 1X points. Those points apply to a variety of reward options, including cash back. Other redemption options include air travel, gift cards, merchandise, or fuel discounts. Cardholders can even gift points to friends or family.
Cash back rewards are one of the best options for points, especially as the valuation of points through this method is one cent per point. This means that 2,500 points have a value of $25.
Gas discounts apply to the BP Driver Rewards Program. Points are only valid at select BP locations. Rewards do not carry over after redeeming, with a maximum redemption of 20 gallons per award. This means to get the most value, you must get the maximum 20 gallons of fuel – otherwise, you won’t get the most b for your rewards buck.
Introductory 1.99% APR for the First Six Months
The UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® Card comes with an introductory APR of 1.99% for the first six months. This special rate applies to both purchases and balance transfers. Ideally, a card comes with 0% intro APR, but that’s not to say that the intro offer from Commerce isn’t decent. For those with smaller existing balances, or those with higher APR elsewhere, this intro APR may provide some breathing room to pay down balances.
Regular APR Is Competitive
As with other commerce Bank credit cards, the regular APR with the UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® isn’t going to set any low APR records. That said, the rate is still competitive with other comparable rewards cards. At the lower end of the spectrum, excellent credit scores can anticipate a rate of one percent higher than the national average. The same applies to the top end of the scale. Again, not great – but not anything that will sour potential applicants either.
Other Things to Consider
The UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® features a penalty APR of nearly 29%, which is always frustrating. Of course, penalty APRs aren’t unheard of, though many issuers are moving away from the extra charge. Fortunately, Commerce Bank is generous with their payment terms. Cardholders have 60 days from the due date to make payments before a Penalty APR is assessed.
The card also charges a foreign transaction fee of up to 2%, which may cause headaches for those who either plan to travel abroad or use their card for making purchases in foreign currencies.
Should You Apply for the UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® Card?
The UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® is an excellent option for Missouri – St. Louis alumni who want to show their Triton pride with every purchase. Since the card requires no annual fee, it is a versatile purchasing tool that fits perfectly into the wallet of all UMSL alumni.
Receiving 3% back on coffee shops, fast food, and rideshare apps make the card a valuable addition to any night out or ex-dormmate catch-up. That earning potential is further enhanced by the 2% back an gas and dining – comparable to the Discover It chrome.
Ultimately, the UMSL Alumni Rewards Visa® serves a very select clientele very well, indeed. No annual fee, decent rewards, and a basic-yet-effective introductory bonus make this a card that is at home on a night out as it is for a laid-back Sunday latte.