Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 4th, 2021
Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa
- Regular Purchase APR 12.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 12.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- 3% cash back at coffee shops, fast food, and ride shares
- 2% cash back on gas and restaurants
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months from account opening
- Connect your debit and credit cards in once account
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 12.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 12.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 27.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of each transaction in U.S. dollars; 2% of each transaction made in currencies other than U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa is a credit card that offers seamless integration with an existing Commerce Bank checking account. This integration allows users to pay with either their cash back rewards credit card or a connected checking account at select retailers. The card also earns 3% cash back at coffee shops, fast food, and ride shares; 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases; and 1% cash back for every other purchase – all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Already bank with Commerce Bank
- Want the flexibility to pay with either your card or your checking account
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
- Want to earn solid cash back rewards for your everyday purchases
Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa Review
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa is a unique credit card offering from Commerce Bank. The bank describes the card as a way to “unlock the full potential” of the Commerce Bank Credit Card, as it provides the freedom for users to choose to pay with either their Commerce Credit Card or their connected Commerce checking account.
Requires an Eligible Commerce Bank Account
All a cardholder needs to do to connect the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa to an applicable checking account, is simply link the accounts online through Commerce Bank. Once connected account holders can access both of their accounts at the ATM and will have the freedom to pay either with their credit card or debit card, depending on the retailer.
While the account-linking features of the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa Card are nice, they aren’t remarkable. After all, most places likely will accept only credit, meaning the cards multipurpose usability is extremely geographically limited. Fortunately, the card also is a capable rewards credit card as well.
Earn Up to 3% Back
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa earns unlimited cash back for everyday purchases, with improved rates in special categories. Cardholders receive 3% cash back, for instance, on purchases at coffee shops, fast food joints, or when using ridesharing apps like Lyft or Uber.
Cardholders also receive 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases, as well as 1% cash back on all other purchases made with the card. If cash back isn’t your chosen reward, the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa allows users to claim their rewards as travel, merchandise, statement credits, and more.
Other Card Features
New account holders also benefit from a special introductory rate: 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months after opening an account. After that, they can expect a typical APR of around 17%, which while not amazing, is average when compared to similar cards. The card also benefits from no annual fee and comprehensive liability and fraud protections.
Should You Apply for the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa?
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa is an intriguing credit card offer for existing customers of Midwestern Bank, Commerce Bank. The card is a versatile rewards card, offering the usual 3% back on coffee shops, fast food, and rideshares. This earning rate is standard fare with other Commerce co-branded credit cards – as is 2% back on restaurants and gas station purchases.
The unique freedom for users to choose to pay with either their Commerce Credit Card or their connected Commerce checking account is the real selling point with the card, however. It’s this feature (similar to the toggle Card) that impresses most – and offers a unique hybrid that will serve existing bank customers well.