| Last updated on October 17th, 2023
Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa
Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa
- 19.24% to 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 19.24% to 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 12 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa is a credit card that offers seamless integration with an existing Commerce Bank checking account. This integration allows users to pay with either their cash back rewards credit card or a connected checking account at select retailers. The card also earns 3% cash back at coffee shops, fast food, and ride shares; 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases; and 1% cash back for every other purchase – all for no annual fee.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 3% cash back at coffee shops, fast food, and ride shares
- 2% cash back on gas and restaurants
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months from account opening
- Connect your debit and credit cards in once account
- No annual fee
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.24% to 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.24% to 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 30.24% variable based on creditworthiness
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 32.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of each transaction in U.S. dollars; 2% of each transaction made in currencies otherthan U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You already bank with Commerce Bank
- You want the flexibility to pay with either your card or your checking account
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee
- You want to earn solid cash back rewards for your everyday purchases
Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa Review
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa is a unique credit card offering from Commerce Bank. The bank describes the card as a way to “unlock the full potential” of the Commerce Bank Credit Card, as it provides the freedom for users to choose to pay with either their Commerce Credit Card or their connected Commerce checking account.
Requires an Eligible Commerce Bank Account
All a cardholder needs to do to connect the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa to an applicable checking account, is simply link the accounts online through Commerce Bank. Once connected account holders can access both of their accounts at the ATM and will have the freedom to pay either with their credit card or debit card, depending on the retailer.
While the account-linking features of the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa Card are nice, they aren’t remarkable. After all, most places likely will accept only credit, meaning the cards multipurpose usability is extremely geographically limited. Fortunately, the card also is a capable rewards credit card as well.
Earn Up to 3% Back
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa earns unlimited cash back for everyday purchases, with improved rates in special categories. This rewards structure is also the same for many of the bank’s co-branded retail, hotel, and alumni credit card offers:
|3% cash back on Streaming, Cable and Ridesharing||When card is used for purchases in the streaming, cable or the ridesharing and taxis categories, including: Cable, Satellite & Other Pay TV/Radio;Record Shops; Digital Goods; and Amazon Services. The cable category does not include Google Fiber. Merchants self-select category, so not all merchants will earn additional bonus – notable exclusions include Amazon Streaming, Pandora and YouTube Music/TV.|
|2% cash back on Gas, Restaurants, Fast Food||When card is used for purchases in the service station or automated fuel dispensers, restaurant, fast food restaurant, and drinking places categories.|
|1% cash back on All Other Purchases||When card is used to make purchases in any other category. Merchants self-select category, so not all merchants will earn additional bonus.|
Cardholders receive 3% cash back, for instance, on purchases on streaming, cable services, and eligible rideshares. Plus, they’ll earn 2% back on gas and dining -including, fast food joints. Cardholders also 1% cash back on all other purchases made with the card. If cash back isn’t your chosen reward, the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa allows users to claim their rewards for several options:
|Redeem Commerce Bank rewards for:|
|Airfare||Hotel vouchers||Car rentals||Gift cards|
|Statement credits||Fuel discounts||Charity|
Other Card Features
New account holders also benefit from a special introductory rate: 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 12 months after opening an account. After that, they can expect a variable APR, which, while not amazing, is average when compared to similar cards. The card also benefits from no annual fee and comprehensive liability and fraud protections.
Commerce Bank Ratings
What’s it like to live with Commerce Bank as a credit card issuer and bank? Here is a selection of reviews for the Midwestern bank:
Should You Apply for the Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa?
The Commerce Bank Special Connections® Visa is an intriguing credit card offer for existing customers of Midwestern Bank, Commerce Bank. The card is a versatile rewards card, offering the usual 3% back on coffee shops, fast food, and rideshares. This earning rate is standard fare with other Commerce co-branded credit cards – as is 2% back on restaurants and gas station purchases.
The unique freedom for users to choose to pay with either their Commerce Credit Card or their connected Commerce checking account is the real selling point with the card, however. It’s this feature (similar to the toggle Card) that impresses most – and offers a unique hybrid that will serve existing bank customers well.
Browse Other Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.