Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum Card
Enjoy 0% Introductory APR for 18 Months
- Regular Purchase APR 11.99% to 20.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 11.99% to 20.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 20 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR for 18 months
- Comerica's lowest interest rate
- Visa perks and protections
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 20 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.99% to 20.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 20 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.99% to 20.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 4% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 3% of the transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
At a Glance
The Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum Card from Comerica Bank lets baseball fanatics pay down their balances. The card boasts a generous introductory interest-free period on purchases and balance transfers and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are Tigers fans with existing credit card balances they want to pay down
- Don’t want to fuss with rewards and higher interest rates
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum Card Review
The Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum Card is a low APR and balance transfer credit card that helps Tigers fans everywhere pay down existing balances and finance large purchases – all for no annual fee.
Comerica Bank is the main sponsor of the Detroit Tigers, the MLB representative of the proud people on Detroit, and the Comerica Detroit Tigers Visa Card is the perfect way to show that you bleed blue, while saving money at the same time.
An Impressive Interest-Free Introductory Period
As with other Comerica credit card products, the Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum Card enjoys an exceptional 0% introductory period on both balance transfers and purchases. New accounts can expect 18-months of zero interest on both transactions.
Eighteen months of 0% interest is on par with the HSBC Gold Mastercard, but that card lacks the style that comes from Comerica’s Tigers Card. This extensive period makes this an excellent option for those with existing credit card balances they want to pay down. While balance transfers incur a fee of 3% of the transaction cost, the year and a half without interest more than makeup for this charge.
An introductory interest-free period on purchases also makes the Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum a reliable option for those planning significant purchases. The ability to pay down a large purchase – such as home improvements or other projects – over the next year and a half can take the sting out of spending money and help people’s budgets stretch further.
Enjoy a Great, Low APR after That
Eighteen months is a long time, but it isn’t forever. Fortunately, once the introductory period ends the Tigers Platinum Card enjoys an excellent regular APR. That low rate will vary depending on the creditworthiness of the applicant, but those with excellent credit scores can anticipate interest rates below the national average for a low APR card. The rate with the Comerica card is below 14%, making it almost half-a-point below the average low. While those who scrape in under the acceptance bar can expect a higher regular APR, it is still competitive, and much lower than they probably will receive from other lenders.
Why Choose a Credit Card without Rewards?
With so many credit cards featuring huge rewards, it may seem odd even to consider a card that offered no rewards. Cards like the Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum, however, lack rewards because they burden the cardholder with higher interest rates.
The average APR for a rewards card is almost 2.5% higher than what you’d expect from a low APR card. Two and a half percentage points might not sound like a lot, but for those who plan on carrying a balance, 2.5% of a $1,000 balance is $25. Carrying a balance like that would cost a rewards cardholder $300 a year.
Balance transfer cards and low APR cards are designed for carrying a balance and financing purchases. They aren’t really an everyday tool like a rewards card. That’s not to say they aren’t useful every day. Rather, they are best as a specialty player off the bench, like a pinch hitter to the cash back cards shortstop.
Should You Apply for the Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum Card?
The Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum Card is a quality low APR and balance transfer card from Comerica. The 18 months of 0% introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers are the stars of this offer, but the regular APR for those with an excellent credit score isn’t too bad either.
There are plenty of cards that offer lower rates, especially those from credit unions. Those, however, typically lack the year and a half interest-free that comes with the Comerica Tigers Card.
Overall, the Detroit Tigers Visa® Platinum Card isn’t a home run, but a solid double Tiger fans that want to pay down their balances or finance those season tickets can do so without the annual fee.