Last updated on February 24th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card
U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card
- 19.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 19.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card is a reliable – and powerful – travel rewards credit card from U.S. Bank. The card earns 3x points on restaurant purchases, 2x points with gas station and airline purchases, and 1x points on all other purchases.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 5X FlexPoints on prepaid hotels and rental cars
- 3X FlexPoints at restaurants, 2X FlexPoints at gas stations, 2X FlexPoints at airlines, and 1X FlexPoints per $1 spent on all other eligible Net Purchases
- Enjoy an automatic statement credit reimbursement for TSA Precheck® or Global Entry
- Complimentary Boingo Wi-Fi at over 1 million hotspots worldwide
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $85
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- You travel often, especially on flights
- You dine out – or while traveling – and plan to use your card to cover these purchases
- You want a travel card with no foreign transaction fees
- You dislike waiting in security lines at the airport and want a statement credit for TSA Precheck
U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card Review:
The U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card is a rewards card designed to excel in every facet of daily life. The card, a rewards credit card from major American lender U.S. Bank, earns an impressive haul of FlexPoints with every purchase.
How to Earn FlexPerks
The highest tier reward earnings with the FlexPerks Gold come from prepaid hotel and car bookings. Cardholders enjoy 5X points when booking prepaid hotels and prepaid car rentals through teh FlexPerks Rewards Center.
Cardholders also earn triple FlexPoints (three points for every dollar spent) on purchases at restaurants – a category encompassing everything from a local corner café to the trendiest of boutique eateries. The card earns double points for each dollar spent on both airline and gas station purchases, and a single FlexPoint for every other dollar spent on purchases.
New cardholders receive a bonus of 30,000 FlexPoints when they use their card to make $2,000 in purchases within the first four months of opening an account. Most introductory offers with rewards cards require holders to meet a minimum spend threshold within the first three months of account opening, so having an extra month to meet the $2,000 requirement is a pleasant surprise. This sign-up reward has an approximate value of $450.
How to Redeem FlexPerks
There are a wide variety of FlexPoint redemption options available, including using points towards travel, merchandise rewards through the U.S. Bank portal, gift cards from major retailers, statement credits, and even real-time mobile awards. The FlexPerks mobile app allows cardholders to cash in their FlexPoints in real-time, giving them the freedom to spend their FlexPoints when – and where – they want.
Impressive Travel Perks
As a premium American Express card, the FlexPerks Gold Card has many of the same excellent perks you’d expect from other luxurious travel cards. These premium travel benefits include an automatic statement credit for TSA Precheck or Global Entry application fees, access to Amex’s Global Dining Program (which provides reservations at big-name restaurants worldwide). Cardholders also receive complimentary Boingo Wi-Fi, ensuring their phone or mobile device is always connected.
Finally, FlexPerks Gold Amex cardholders get the peace of mind in knowing that their card is truly a global purchasing tool, thanks to no foreign transaction fees and a competitive APR. All of these impressive perks come with a price, however: an annual fee of $85.
Should You Apply for the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card?
The FlexPerks Gold American Express Card from U.S. Bank is an excellent travel reward credit card for those who want a bevy of impressive perks without fear of being tied to any particular airline, hotel, or loyalty program. The card earns an impressive amount of points with every purchase, with the ability to earn triple FlexPoints on dining being the major feature.
That’s not to say earning double points with gas stations, and airline purchases are anything to scoff at – this makes the card a potent tool for both daily the daily commute and the weekend traveler.
Any travel credit card worth its salt needs travel perks, and the U.S. Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card delivers them in droves. Cardholders receive a statement credit for either TSA Precheck or Global Entry application fees, plus complimentary Boingo Wi-Fi. These perks mean not only do travelers spend less time in security, but more time enjoying themselves in the departure lounges with a device that’s always connected.
While the card comes with an annual fee of $85, this is a drop in the bucket compared to what it offers the frequent flyer. $25 airline allowances per flight are excellent benefits, and with only a few flights per year, they more than make up for the annual fee. Add to that Amex concierge service, Amex’s Global Dining Program, the many redemption options with FlexPoints, and no foreign transaction fees, and you have a rewards card that is heavy on the rewards – but also reliability from a competitive travel card.