Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 5th, 2021
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's an extra half point per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year
- Fine Hotels + Resorts Program grants an average total value of $550 in perks at over 1,100 properties, like daily breakfast for two, 4pm check-out, and more
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.24% to 22.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $595
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: $39 or 2.99% of any past due Pay in Full amount, whichever is greater
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $39
At a Glance
Companies can expect the pinnacle of luxury when they use their Business Platinum Card® from American Express. This exclusive metal rewards card provides premium travel rewards, a huge signup bonus, and a variety of other perks for the savvy business traveler.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often for work and can take advantage of a myriad of benefits including access to airport lounges
- Will make use of statement credits for Global Entry or TSA Precheck
- Prefer airline flexibility when redeeming their points for travel
Business Platinum Card® Review
Superior features, earning potential, and cardholder perks elevate the American Express Business Platinum Card® to a distinctly different level than business cards.
Earning Points with the American Express Business Platinum Card®
The Business Platinum Card® provides the 5X points on flights and prepaid hotels booked directly through American Express Travel. Bookings can be made over the phone or online with American Express Travel. All other purchases earn 1X points per dollar.
The Business Platinum Card also enjoys an additional 50% on points when meeting spending requirements. Spending Purchases of $5,000 or more earn 1.5X points – up to a whopping one million points per year!
This 50% more rewards on everyday purchases makes the card an intriguing option for companies that spend heavily, issue multiple employee cards, and prioritize getting the most out of their rewards credit card.
New accounts earn a signup bonus of 100,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $15,000 within the first three months of opening the account. This 100,000 bonus is one of Amex’s biggest ever, and has a travel value of approximately $2,000. Plus, book with points, and you’ll reclaim 35% of those points!
That’s not all. New accounts also receive a special bonus category for the first three months. New Business Platinum Card from American Express holders earn 5X points on eligible U.S. purchases on shipping, wireless telephone services, advertising in select media, office supplies, and gas stations. This offer applies to the first 80,000 bonus points per category.
How to Redeem Rewards
The Business Platinum Card offers flexibility in redemptions, making it ideal for companies that aren’t loyal to an airline or want more than just travel perks. As such, point earnings can be redeemed for:
- Travel, including flights, cruises, and hotels
- Merchandise through select stores
- Gift cards from select companies
- Statement credits
American Express 1:1 Points Transfer Partners
American Express Membership Rewards are an exceptional value because they transfer to a massive number of other airlines and hotels. These include:
Business Platinum Card Travel Perks
Like the Platinum Card, the Business version comes with a vast array of travel-centric perks. These include a $200 statement credit towards airline fees. Each year cardholders select an eligible carrier and put this credit toward baggage fees and other incidentals. Holders must use the card to make the purchases, however.
Other travel perks include a statement credit for TSA Precheck and Global Entry. These perks allow travelers to enjoy fast-pass access to TSA security and U.S. Customs.
Once you’re through security, business travelers can enjoy the American Express Global Lounge Collection. Lounge access is one of the standout features of The Business Platinum Card, thanks to no spending requirements to access this perk. The Global Lounge Collection includes over 1,200 airport lounges in 130 countries, including:
- The Centurion® Lounge
- International American Express
- Delta Sky Club
- Priority Pass Select
Pay Over Time
While the Business Platinum Card is a charge card, that does not mean companies can’t enjoy the chance to carry a balance. American Express offers a special “Pay Over Time” feature that allows businesses to finance select purchases of $100 or more at a competitive APR.
Cardholders can activate Pay Over Time, and select charges will be added to the feature automatically. Then, Platinum Cardholders have the choice of paying the balance in full or carrying that balance with interest. The Pay Over Time credit limit is found in the balance details on a user’s account.
Other American Express Business Platinum Card ® Benefits
The Business Platinum Card boasts many other benefits on top of those available for travel and hotel stays. Some of the most notable perks include:
- No foreign transaction fees
- Platinum Card Concierge to help you organize your reservations or tickets to an event
- Year-End Summaries, which can make it easy to prepare for tax season
Companies can also take advantage of business-specific perks, including:
$200 Annual Dell Technologies Statement Credits: Get up to $100 in statement credits between January and June and up to $100 in statement credits between July and December for U.S. purchases with Dell Technologies
American Express Business App: Easily add receipt images, categorize transactions, and add relevant notes.
- Online statements
- Access to an American Express account manager
Should You Apply for The Business Platinum Card?
Wondering if, the American Express Business Platinum Card is worth it? If your company frequently travels, issues additional employee cards, and takes great care to ensure your workforce is comfortable while on the move, the answer is likely “yes.”
The points with the Platinum Card are exceptional for the frequent traveler. Plus, for companies that use their card to make a larger purchase, the chances of substantial point hauls are even more impressive. This is especially true given the sizeable signup bonus.
The addition of travel perks, like lounge access, fast-pass security and customs statement credits, and more provide employees with the ultimate luxury when on the move.