Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 5th, 2021
- Pick 2 categories for the 4X bonus
- 4X points made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software, and cloud solutions
- 4X points at gas stations
- 4X points at restaurants
- 4X points for shipping
- 4X points on advertising (online, TV, radio)
- Earn 1X points on all other purchases
- Pay Over Time Option: A flexible payment option to help manage cash flow on purchases of $100 or more
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.24% to 22.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Penalty APR: 29.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $295
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: $39 or 2.99% of any past due Pay in Full amount, whichever is greater
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $39
- 33% off a monthly subscription - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- 50% off for up to 12 months - Offer Expires on January 03, 2022 - See Details
- Spend $125 or more, get $25 back. Up to 2 times (total of $50). - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $25 or more, get $5 back - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on June 20, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $150 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on April 29, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $50 or more, get $10 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $250 or more, get $50 back - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $75 or more, get $15 back - Offer Expires on May 09, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $25 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
Business owners with a clear understanding of their company’s needs will enjoy the customizable rewards available to them through the American Express® Business Gold Card. The card gives you the ability to choose 2 categories to receive 4X the points from, then 1 point per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases plus a generous signup bonus where companies earn 70,000 Membership Rewards points.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Own a business and want to earn points for everyday expenses on select bonus categories where your business spends the most, such as airfare, advertising, gas, shipping, and computers
- Plan to make frequent purchases, particularly within the first few months of becoming a cardholder, in order to qualify for lucrative introductory offers
- Can benefit from insightful software tools to both help manage your business and recruit promising talent
American Express® Business Gold Card Review
The Business Gold Card from American Express grants flexibility when it comes to selecting its most beneficial rewards category, while still offering elevated bonus points earning potential for the resulting secondary categories.
Cardholders can choose to receive 4X Membership Rewards points from two of the following categories: airfare purchased directly from airlines, U.S. purchases for advertising in select media, U.S. purchases at gas stations, U.S. purchases for shipping, or U.S. computer hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers. They’ll then receive 1 point per dollar spent on other eligible purchases.
How to Redeem Amex Membership Rewards
As with other loyalty programs, Amex Membership Rewards points apply to a wide variety of redemption options. Those redemption options include:
- Statement credits
- Shopping for merchandise
- Gift Cards
- Charitable donations
- Partner transfers
Membership Rewards have an average value of $0.01, but Amex points usually have a higher average value when they are transferred to partners. American Express Membership Rewards are an exceptional value because they transfer to many other airlines and hotels. These include:
Business Management Tools
To help expedite the accumulation of points, cardholders can add Employee Cards to their account, which can be tracked using the Spend Manager feature, account alerts, and detailed online statements for added peace of mind. Other business management tools include Amex Year-end Summary, which offers detailed summaries of charges, so companies can review their annual spending.
Pay Over Time
While the Business Gold Card is a charge card, that does not mean companies can’t enjoy the chance to carry a balance. American Express offers a special “Pay Over Time” feature that allows businesses to finance select purchases of $100 or more at a competitive APR.
Cardholders can activate Pay Over Time, and select charges will be added to the feature automatically. Then Gold Cardholders have the choice of paying the balance in full or carrying that balance with interest. The Pay Over Time credit limit is found in the balance details on a user’s account.
Like other American Express business card products, the Gold Card features a variety of benefits and protections. These features include:
Should You Apply for the Business Gold Card?
The Gold Business Card may seem pricey given it’s $295 annual fee, but for the right companies, it’s a very fair price. Earning 4X points in the two categories they spend the most is always a welcome perk, but when those categories include advertising, shipping, technology, and dining, it’s a guaranteed recipe for savings. This is especially true when additional employee cards are issued, as the value soars even further.