Last updated on February 24th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- See Terms Regular Purchase APR
At a Glance
Companies can expect the pinnacle of luxury when they use The Business Platinum Card® from American Express. This exclusive metal rewards card provides premium travel rewards, a huge welcome offer, and a variety of other perks for the savvy business traveler.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Welcome Offer: Earn 130,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com, and 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases
- Earn 1.5X points (that's an extra half point per dollar) on eligible purchases at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year
- Unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases, including tech, recruiting and wireless with the Business Platinum Card
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year when incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Card or any of the Additional Cards on your Platinum Card account
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: CLEAR® uses biometrics to assign you a touchless ID, allowing you to move faster through security at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. You can cover the cost of a CLEAR membership with up to $189 in statement credits per calendar year after you pay for CLEAR with your Business Platinum Card®
- The American Express Global Lounge Collection® can provide an escape at the airport. With more than 1,400 airport lounges across 140 countries and counting, you have more lounge location options than any other credit card on the market as of 9/2021
- $695 Annual Fee
- Terms Apply
- Regular Purchase APR: See Terms
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $695
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: $39 or 2.99% of any past due Pay in Full amount, whichever is greater
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $39
- You travel often for work and can take advantage of a myriad of benefits including access to airport lounges
- You will make use of statement credits for Global Entry or TSA Precheck
- You prefer airline flexibility when redeeming your points for travel
The Business Platinum Card® from American ExpressTerms & Conditions ,
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express Review
Superior features, earning potential, and cardholder perks elevate The Business Platinum Card® from American Express to a distinctly different level than business cards.
Earning Points with The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express provides the 5X points on flights and prepaid hotels booked directly through American Express Travel. Bookings can be made over the phone or online with American Express Travel. The card also earns 1.5X on business category purchases of $5,000 or more (up to $2 million/year). All other purchases earn 1X points per dollar.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express also enjoys an additional 50% on points when meeting spending requirements. Spending Purchases of $5,000 or more earn 1.5X points – up to a whopping one million points per year!
This 50% more rewards on everyday purchases makes the card an intriguing option for companies that spend heavily, issue multiple employee cards, and prioritize getting the most out of their rewards credit card.
New accounts earn a welcome bonus of 130,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $15,000 within the first three months of opening the account. This 130,000 bonus is one of Amex’s biggest ever, and has a travel value of approximately $1,200. Plus, book with points, and you’ll reclaim 35% of those points!
How to Redeem Rewards
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express offers flexibility in redemptions, making it ideal for companies that aren’t loyal to an airline or want more than just travel perks. As such, point earnings can be redeemed for:
- Travel, including flights, cruises, and hotels
- Merchandise through select stores
- Gift cards from select companies
- Statement credits
American Express 1:1 Points Transfer Partners
American Express Membership Rewards are an exceptional value because they transfer to a massive number of other airlines and hotels. These include:
|AeroMexico (Club Premier)||Avianca (LifeMiles)||Emirates (Skywards)|
|Air Canada (Aeroplan)||British Airways (Executive Club)||Etihad (Guest)|
|Aer Lingus (AerClub)||Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles)||Air France/KLM (Flying Blue)|
|All Nippon Airways (ANA Miles)||Delta Air Lines (SkyMiles)||Hawaiian Airlines (HawaiianMiles)|
|Iberia Plus||Choice Privileges||Hilton Honors|
|Marriott Bonvoy||JetBlue (TrueBlue)||Marriott Bonvoy|
|Marriott Bonvoy||Virgin Atlantic (Flying Club)|
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express Travel Perks
Like the personal version of the card, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express comes with a vast array of travel-centric perks. These include a $200 statement credit towards airline fees. Each year cardholders select an eligible carrier and put this credit toward baggage fees and other incidentals. Holders must use the card to make the purchases, however.
Other travel perks include a statement credit for TSA Precheck and Global Entry. These perks allow travelers to enjoy fast-pass access to TSA security and U.S. Customs.
Once you’re through security, business travelers can enjoy the American Express Global Lounge Collection. Lounge access is one of the standout features of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, thanks to no spending requirements to access this perk. The Global Lounge Collection includes over 1,200 airport lounges in 130 countries, including:
- The Centurion® Lounge
- International American Express
- Delta Sky Club
- Priority Pass Select
Pay Over Time
While The Business Platinum Card® from American Express does not have a traditional APR found in other cards, that does not mean proprietors can’t enjoy the chance to carry a balance. American Express offers a special “Pay Over Time” feature that allows businesses to finance select purchases of $100 or more at a competitive APR.
Cardholders can activate Pay Over Time, and select charges will be added to the feature automatically. Then, Cardholders have the choice of paying the balance in full or carrying that balance with interest. The Pay Over Time credit limit is found in the balance details on a user’s account.
Other Benefits of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express boasts many other benefits on top of those available for travel and hotel stays. Some of the most notable perks include:
- No foreign transaction fees
- Platinum Card Concierge to help you organize your reservations or tickets to an event
- Year-End Summaries, which can make it easy to prepare for tax season
Companies can also take advantage of business-specific perks, including:
$400 Annual Dell Technologies Statement Credits: Get up to $400 in statement credits for U.S. purchases with Dell Technologies
- $360 Indeed Statement Credit: Up to $360 back per year on purchases made through Indeed.com.
- $150 Adobe Credit: Get up to $150 back on eligible subscriptions with Adobe.
- $120 statement credit on eligible wireless telephone services paid with The Business Platinum Card® from American Express.
- American Express Business App: Easily add receipt images, categorize transactions, and add relevant notes.
- Online statements
- Access to an American Express account manager
Should You Apply for The Business Platinum Card® from American Express?
Wondering if The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is worth it? If your company frequently travels, issues additional employee cards, and takes great care to ensure your workforce is comfortable while on the move, the answer is likely “yes.”
The points earned with the card are exceptional for the frequent traveler. Plus, for companies that use their card to make a larger purchase, the chances of substantial point hauls are even more impressive. This is especially true given the sizeable signup bonus.
The addition of travel perks, like lounge access, fast-pass security and customs statement credits, and more provide employees with the ultimate luxury when on the move.