Save 30 cents per gallon (up to 20 gallons) on your first five shell fuel purchases made by 10/31/2020
Save up to 10 cents per gallon, on up to 20 gallons every time you fill up (5 cents per gallon with the card and 5 cents per gallon with Fuel Rewards Gold Status)
Enjoy 10% Shell rebates on your first $1,200 Shell non-fuel purchases per year
Enjoy 2% shell rebates on your first $10,000 Dining and Groceries purchases ber year
Enjoy 1% Shell rebates on all other qualifying purchases
Rebates are applied as a statement credit against Shell purchases made with your card in future billing cycles
Rates & Fees
Regular Purchase APR:
26.49%, variable with the market based on the Prime Rate
Cash Advance APR:
Cash Advance Transaction Fee:
Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
Foreign Transaction Fee:
3% of each purchase transaction in U.S. Dollars
Late Payment Penalty Fee:
Up to $40
At a Glance
The Shell Fuel Rewards® Mastercard® is likely to catch the eye of folks who frequently fill their cars and prefer to pump their gas at Shell gas stations. This is thanks to a rewards program that’s designed to give cardholders considerable savings with Shell
Ideal for Those Who:
- Commute to work or drive long distances regularly
- Buy the majority of their gas from Shell stations
- Want to take advantage of savings of up to 10 cents per gallon each time they fill their tank
- Would like to earn rebates for Shell by making purchases in dining, groceries, and more
Shell Fuel Rewards® Mastercard® Review
The Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard from Citibank is a co-branded gasoline rewards credit card for people who frequently purchase gasoline. Designed for those who prefer to fuel up at Shell gas stations, it brings big savings in the form of Shell rebates and can be very rewarding for cardholders who use it frequently – especially on purchases at Shell. To maximize these savings, consider joining the Fuel Rewards® program from Shell to unlock exclusive deals.
Is Fuel Rewards® Worth It?
is a free-to-join rewards program from Shell. It focuses on a Gold Status for members that combines with rewards from everyday shopping. These add up to big savings at the pump. Gold Status is achieved when members make a purchase at Shell stations at least six times every three months (if you fill your tank for your daily commute at least once a week, this is easily achievable). Members automatically reach Silver Status when they sign up, which is the lowest tier where savings can be earned. Members with Silver status will receive at least 3 cents for each fill-up until they make six purchases in the first three months, after which they will reach Gold Status and qualify for the full benefits of the rewards program.
Designed for Shell loyalists who want to earn rebates towards their gasoline purchases, Fuel Rewards proffers perks and discounts that can be credited to their statement whenever they buy gas from Shell. This loyalty program automatically bestows members with a discount of 5 cents per gallon on every fill-up at Shell with their Gold status. Rewards from Gold Status can be combined with rewards from everyday activities to stack savings. Here’s how those rewards can add up:
- Automatic 5 cents per gallon discount with Gold membership
- Additional 5 cents per gallon discount for shopping online each time you spend $50 on brand-name merchandise from brands that include JCPenney, Best Buy, Neiman Marcus, Kohl’s and more
- Additional 5 cents per gallon discount for every $50 spent on travel – flights, hotels, rental cars and vacation packages
- Additional 10 cents per gallon discount for every $50 spent on dining
These discounts will be applied when you fill up at a Shell gas station. Either swipe your membership card or or enter your membership ID into the keypad at the pump. Shell will add up all the discounts that have been accrued by your account and subtract them from the cost of the gas. This discount is applicable to purchases of up to 20 gallons.
How to Earn Rewards with the Shell Fuel Rewards® Mastercard®
Cardholders will quickly realize that the best way to maximize their savings with Shell’s Fuel Rewards Mastercard is by making purchases at Shell gas stations. When combined with a Fuel Rewards membership, this credit card really shines. In order to take advantage of these perks, Mastercard cardholders will need to either link their existing Fuel Rewards account to their new credit card or sign up for Fuel Rewards and link the account at this time. If you do not link your accounts, discounts and rebates accrued will not credit to the credit card account. You can earn rebates and discounts the following ways:
- Savings at the Pump: Cardholders save 10 cents per gallon on up to 20 gallons at a time. This breaks down into 5 cents per gallon for Gold Status members and 5 cents per gallon for cardholders. This perk comes in handy particularly for those who commute to work, pick up or drop off their kids at school or after-school activities, or make frequent trips in their car. If you gas up often, and you’re a fan of Shell gas stations, this perk will really stand out.
- 10% Rebates: Earn 10% back in Shell rebates on the first $1,200 spent using the Fuel Rewards Mastercard for non-fuel Shell purchases each year. If you’re feeling peckish while at the pump, you can earn rebates from buying snacks and sodas, coffee, and even ice cream. If you buy tobacco frequently, this perk can also come in handy. The same goes for beer and wine, too, where available. You can even earn rebates from using your card to top off your car’s coolant, if you purchase antifreeze from the Shell station.
- 2% Rebates: Everybody eats. Why not make your weekly grocery shopping more rewarding? Using the Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard on food purchases in the Dining and Groceries purchase categories will reward you with a 2% rebate on up to $10,000 each year. Take advantage when you use your card to wine and dine and treat yourself to a nice meal, or if you do your weekly grocery shopping with it.
- 1% Rebates: It pays to use your Shell Mastercard for everyday spending. Cardholders earn a 1% rebate on all other eligible purchases made with their card.
Capital One and Shell sweeten the deal with a limited-time introductory bonus, too. New accounts will save 30 cents per gallon on up to 20 gallons per purchase for the first five fuel purchases made with a new card before October 31, 2020. Cardholders must apply by June 30th of 2020; for accounts that have not reached Gold Status, this rate will be evaluated at 25 cents per gallon.
How to Redeem Fuel Rewards® Rebates from the Shell Fuel Rewards® Mastercard®
Redeeming cardholder rebates earned from purchases made with the Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard is easy and convenient. There are no hoops to jump through – rebates are automatically applied as a statement credit against Shell purchases made with your card in future billing cycles. All you need to do is ensure that your credit card account is linked to your Fuel Rewards account, and you’ll see your savings post to your statement each time you make a fuel purchase at Shell.
Should You Apply for the Shell Fuel Rewards® Mastercard® from Citibank?
The Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard, issued by Citibank, is a solid gasoline rewards credit card. It’s a great fit for anyone who frequently pumps their gas at Shell stations in their neighborhood and who are looking for a credit card for everyday use at Shell. With a suite of great discounts and the ability to earn rebates on gas for your commute, this credit card certainly stands out – but be aware that while you can earn cash back towards your fuel purchases from nearly any purchase, your options for redeeming those points are very limited. This credit card essentially tethers you to one gas station brand when it comes to earning and redeeming rewards, just as many other gas cards do, like the ExxonMobil™ Smart Card
and the Techron Advantage® Visa® Card
If you are looking for more flexibility when it comes to earning rewards, you might consider a card with an expanded rewards program. Many travel cards
and cash back cards
offer points, miles, and cash back that can be applied to a variety of perks – including statement credits, merchandise, hotel stays, airfare, and more. In fact, there are a multitude of other options that earn rewards from gas station purchases – cards like the Discover it® Cash Back Card
allow you to earn rewards from purchases in the gasoline spending category even if they’re not considered a “gasoline rewards card” – that also have much more flexibility when it comes to redeeming the rewards you’ve accrued.
If you’re someone who commutes to work or school, or makes long car trips frequently, the Shell Fuel Rewards Mastercard may catch your eye. Despite its limitations, it certainly delivers when it comes to discounts and rebates at the Shell pump. If you’re not a Shell loyalist, you might be better off exploring the other gas card options
on BestCards.com, since most major gasoline chains have their own versions of this card.